Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The woman who said that she didn't realize the Seven Mile Bridge was seven miles LONG--she thought it was seven miles HIGH.
    If she was somewhere near a mountainous area and meant "seven miles above sea level", I could understand her comment...But she was talking about the seashore. PHAIL. Wait, no, screw that. That's juuust a bit too high for anywhere in the US...>_<
    Quoth static
    "What is a $2 bill worth?"

I still don't get it, but I somehow feel stupider just for reading that.
    The SC was trying to imply that the $2 was some kind of collector's item (exceedingly rare (they're not THAT hard to come by), and that it would, therefore, increase in value over time.
    Last edited by EricKei; 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM. Reason: did the math
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      ... That's juuust a bit too high for anywhere in the US...>_<
      Or Tibet/Nepal.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        The SC was trying to imply that the $2 was some kind of collector's item (exceedingly rare (they're not THAT hard to come by), and that it would, therefore, increase in value over time.
        I came across a buffalo nickle in my pocket change. It was worth a dime at a coin dealer because the year was worn. At least I got more than face value.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Alrighty then, examples of people who really are that stupid? Easy peasy. From my own experience:

The woman who asked me where Duval Street was...while standing on Duval Street.
          I ... I do this sort of thing all the time. I have inherited my mother's sense of direction. I'm not really stupid!!!!

Comment

Quoth PandaHat View Post
            I ... I do this sort of thing all the time. I have inherited my mother's sense of direction. I'm not really stupid!!!!
            James May, is that you?
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Former coworker, Tardy, took a Royal Caribbean cruise on her honeymoon a couple years ago. She said one of their waiters had stories like this. People would ask him if he gets to live on the ship for the whole cruise tour or if he drove home every night.
              The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                Former coworker, Tardy, took a Royal Caribbean cruise on her honeymoon a couple years ago. She said one of their waiters had stories like this. People would ask him if he gets to live on the ship for the whole cruise tour or if he drove home every night.
                I remember when I was on a cruise, and I had a late snack with one of the crew who was an entertainer. I had her cracking up when I asked, "What happens if a crew member gets fired while the ship is out at sea? Does someone say 'Thank you for your services but we have to let you go', then two guys swing them by their arms and legs and release them over the edge of the ship?".

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  James May, is that you?
                  Wrong gender I'm afraid!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    Alrighty then, examples of people who really are that stupid? Easy peasy. From my own experience:
                    The woman who said that she didn't realize the Seven Mile Bridge was seven miles LONG--she thought it was seven miles HIGH.
                    If it were, airliners at cruising altitude would go UNDER it - that's significantly higher than Mount Everest.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth ShinyGreenApple View Post
                      My brain just went "whirl, beep, crash" and quit....

Madness takes it's toll....
                      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        If she was somewhere near a mountainous area and meant "seven miles above sea level", I could understand her comment...But she was talking about the seashore. PHAIL. Wait, no, screw that. That's juuust a bit too high for anywhere in the US...>_<
                        Try anywhere in the world. Mount Everest, the highest point above sea level in the world, is only at 5.5 miles.

Add to that the fact that the highest bridge in the world, located in the Himalayas, is less than 3.5 miles high above sea level.

Add to that that we're talking about a bridge in Florida, the flattest state in the U.S. And that is not an exaggeration, either...Florida's highest point in the entire state is only 345 feet above seal level, which is the lowest highest point of any U.S. State.

And add to THAT the fact that we're talking about a bridge in the Florida Keys, a string of very small, very flat islands.

Yeah, this woman was, way off. I mean, think about a seven mile high bridge...in the Keys. Well, at least the plus side of any bridge is that if you ever have mechanical trouble, you can just put your vehicle in neutral and ROLL to the next service station!

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Oh, I know what she was saying. Even her husband knew what she was saying. Didn't make it any less hilarious to call her on it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Add to that that we're talking about a bridge in Florida, the flattest state in the U.S. And that is not an exaggeration, either...Florida's highest point in the entire state is only 345 feet above seal level, which is the lowest highest point of any U.S. State.
                          We lived in Florida when I was a kid. My Dad, who was from the mountains in North Carolina, used to make jokes about local Floridians putting their cars into second gear when they encountered a mole hill

Madness takes it's toll....
                          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            I would define flat as the smallest difference between the high point and the low point. When I think of flat, I think of Kansas.
                            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                              I would define flat as the smallest difference between the high point and the low point. When I think of flat, I think of Kansas.
                              Kansas's highest point is Mount Sunflower, at 4,039 feet above sea level.
                              Kansas's lowest point is the Verdigris River at the Oklahoma border, at 679 feet above sea level.
                              The difference is 3,360 feet.

Florida's highest point, as I said, is 345 feet above seal level.
                              It's lowest point in many places is sea level, or, if you prefer, 0.
                              A difference of, of course, 345 feet.

Now, I wasn't a math major, but I'm pretty sure that 345 is smaller than 3,360. So even by your definition, Florida is flatter than Kansas.

And whether you go by my definition (lowest highest point) or your definition (difference between highest and lowest points), Florida is still the flattest state. Only six other states have less than 1,000 feet of difference between their highest and lowest points:

Delaware, highest point 448 feet, lowest point sea level. Difference: 448.
                              Louisiana, highest point 535 feet, lowest point 8 feet below sea level. Difference: 543.
                              Mississippi, highest point 806 feet, lowest point sea level. Difference: 806.
                              Rhode Island, highest point 812 feet, lowest point sea level. Difference: 812.
                              Indiana, highest point 1,257 feet, lowest point 320 feet. Difference: 937.
                              Illinois, highest point 1,235 feet, lowest point 279 feet. Difference: 956.
                              (Source: United States Geological Survey)

You were saying?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Touche.

What a nice war of knowledge.
                                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                                X