This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staff loo = out of bounds!

Posting this in a different thread so not to derail Bob's thread.

This happened a little while ago. To set the scene, in the petrol station we do not have a public loo. We do have a staff loo round the back, but customers are not allowed, under any circumstances, to use it. Why? Cuz we're horrible meany pants of course! No, really it's cuz we have a) a stockroom full of pinchable stock, b) an office with a safe full of cash, a computer and a mobile phone and c) no insurance should a customer slip and fall.

An SC in the store started off reasonably, saying he wanted to use the loo. Jeff, my collegue, said, "We don't have one," as instructed by the manager as saying, "We do have one but you can't use it," brings out the SC in everyone. SC replies saying, "You do! I heard it flushing earlier! I demand you let me use it cuz I have irritable bowel syndrome!"

Yeah, right. Firstly, before SC was able to say his piece, he had to get to the front of the considerably large queue we had going on. If he truly was desperate for the loo, he surely wouldn't have leisurely filled his car up, then waited in the queue for ten minutes. Second, when we said (after his flushing remark) that he couldn't use it cuz of insurance purposes, he stayed and argued the toss for another ten minutes.

"I demand to see a manager!" was his next line. Since we didn't have a manager in the petrol station at this precise moment, I said that we'd have to call over to the store. Another reason against the SC's argument as calling a manager over takes time. He agreed and waited around til Bruce, the big boss, came over (none of the duties were answering their phone).

The look on the SC's face when Bruce backed us up and told the SC that he'd have to use the loos over the road... Jeff and I were trying not to laugh. The SC was furious and stormed out (he'd paid for his petrol before coming out with the loo question) cuz, like all SCs, he'd expected that calling out the manager would result in him getting his own way.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Ok, having been a victim of sudden-onset-loo-need due to health reasons in the past, I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that his need struck suddenly after getting petrol and standing in line. But when you said he then stood there and argued, called for a manager, and otherwise delayed getting on with actually finding a loo, he lost all credibility. No matter how justified and righeous a person may feel (wrongly or rightly), immediate physical needs always take precedence.

Also, I was picturing a full fledged petrol station/convenience store setup. where it would be reasonable to expect a loo. When you mentioned calling the manager from the store, I'm assuming you're just a small kiosk on the grounds of a superstore or something. Who expects one of those to have a customer loo, when anyone with a brain would go the store for one.... oops, forgot where I was for a moment, we don't usually discuss people with brains

Madness takes it's toll....
    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

I have a form of IBS and have never demanded to use a restroom like that.

Comment

Gotta wonder if it was the same pissy pants from this thread a few days ago...

Rock on you brave, weak-bladdered hero...

Comment

As with my story, I'm always really amused at how people can say they really need to go, yet they stand around and argue for longer than it would take to find another restroom. Gives me a good laugh.

I've been in Merriweather and shopgirl's situation in the past, but I've never been rude about it. I've had to go in a store without a public restroom, and they bent the rules and let me use their private restroom because I was nice. SC's need to learn that kindness goes much further than screaming at the poor cashier/guy cleaning the bathroom. Until then, no rules will be stretched for anyone.

Comment

In some cases, shops can let customers use their loo but in the petrol station where I work (small supermarket petrol station accross the road from the actual supermarket) we could end up in big trouble if we let a customer out back cuz of what I said. Especially if they hurt themselves or stole something. Basically, if a customer feels the need to stand there and argue, they can't be that desperate in my book.
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

I gotta say this. The first time I read the title I read it as "Staff loo = Out of bombs".

But seriously now, what an asshat. Clearly wasn't that big of an emergency.
              Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                In some cases, shops can let customers use their loo but in the petrol station where I work (small supermarket petrol station accross the road from the actual supermarket) we could end up in big trouble if we let a customer out back cuz of what I said. Especially if they hurt themselves or stole something. Basically, if a customer feels the need to stand there and argue, they can't be that desperate in my book.
                When I worked on payment systems for fueling I once did a couple of weeks in AU helping bring the first few systems on-line for a customer. One of the stations was pretty darn small, and had their wiring center and computers behind a cabinet door right next to the toilet. So yea, they were pretty sensitive about having random knuckleheads use the toilet!
                Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

At one of the GameStore's wehre I used to work, the backroom was tiny (poor construction/design of the store & it was in a mall), and filled with 90% of our video game SYSTEM stock. Hell, during busier times of the year, even WE couldn't use it, because the boxes were in the way. Had to hit the food court, halfway across the mall x.x
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'm sorry, but are you certified to operate a powered sewer cleaning snake?

Bad clogs? That's your job to keep them cleared for us customers.

No sir. We have to chase the rats far enough away so we can do our business before they come back. We're going to have to come up with a new head for it pretty soon, they're getting used to the sparklers.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

We have customers come in and ask to use our staff-only bathrooms at Bustice (both locations I've worked at). Both my stores are in shopping malls. Y'know, the kind that have restrooms that are (a) public and (b) not used as storage closets for cleaning supplies and unused mannequins? *shakes head*

Comment

We regularly have to direct customers to the store when they ask if we have a loo. Fortunately though we haven't had any meltdowns yet. (Although I have probably jinxed it now)

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                          The first time I read the title I read it as "Staff loo = Out of bombs".

Sounds like my kind of workplace!
                          "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I remember I was in GameStore the one day and I was sick (I know I should've stayed home, but I really wanted a game) I thought I could wait until I was done and got next door to the craft shop, I bent over to look at a game and I could feel that I had like 8 seconds. The guy at the counter was watching me as I ran up to the counter and from the look on my face he could tell I was gonna puke so he just told me where the bathroom was. I felt bad about it and apologized, then I bought the game and left.
                            ......../\
                            ....../__\
                            ..../\...../\
                            ../__\../__\

Comment

We have one of those too. There is a bathroom in our office specifically only for staff. Now, it's down right now due to a leak we found in the ceiling and the fact that it's a gigantic pigsty from all the repairs (we haven't had time to get it cleaned up). Normally, we have it packed with supplies for the office.

I once had a guest head for it as though they were going to use it. I said "I'm sorry, that bathroom is for staff only". She said "Well that's not fair, now is it".

Well, yes it is. Not only is it currently a hazard even for staff to use, but it's used for storage, and the public bathroom is 15 feet away. Go use that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X