This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who like to complain: a plastic bag story

I've mentioned before that I work in a convenience store in the bottom of a hotel. Pretty much all of our customers are staying at the hotel.

I should have seen this customer coming. She was in line behind a gentleman buying breakfast items, bacon, eggs, and the Sunday paper. I rang him through, and then nicely asked if he wanted a bag. "Hmm, no, I think I'm good," he says. The lady behind him then gives me a dirty look, then says, "How are you supposed to carry BACON without a bag?!?" The man calmly folded the newspaper around the bacon, looks at the lady like she's nuts, and says, "Um, I'm staying upstairs. I just take the elevator...." I should have known there would be trouble, oh I should have.

The man leaves, and the woman puts a single pastry on the counter. I ring her up, and she thrusts her money at me. So I put it in the register, and the receipt prints out, as it's apt to do after you put money in the register.

Me: Did you need the receipt?
    Lady: No, I guess not, I mean it's not like I have a a BAG to put it in.
    Me: *oblivious, throws away receipt* Uh huh, do you need a bag?
    Lady: NO, I guess NOT. I don't need a BAG. I'll just have to CARRY this I guess! *storms away angrily, still ranting* Why should you give me a BAG? Do you know how absolutely RIDICULOUS I'll look carrying this around without a BAG?!?!??!

Um, yep, everyone is judging you, carrying around your pastry at breakfast time in a hotel

Seriously, why do people reject things they want just so they can complain? I bet ten dollars that someone mentions how yummy her pastry looks or something, and she takes it as an opportunity to complain about Mean Evil Store Clerks who Don't Give Out Bags.

Yes, because ranting about bags and being angry at someone else's alleged inconvenience doesn't make you look ridiculous at all...

Methinks on some level she feels guilty for wanting a bag, like she's a bad steward of the planet. That's all I can think of.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My brain broke. So, because you asked the person in front if he wanted a bag, he said 'no' she took that to mean she wasn't entitled to a bag for her pastry and receipt?

How did she function enough in society to be able to go on this trip?
      Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
      Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
      Fiancee: What?!
      Me: Nevermind.

Comment

or in other words she "unzipped her fly"* in mouthing off at the man in front of her and now her ego is sore. so she has to take it out on you to feel better.

* We watched "Hunt for Red October" recently, quote is from Scott Glenn near the end of the movie. It really works for a lot of situations like that.

Comment

I asked this one lady if she needed a bag for her 4 inch item, and she gave me a nasty look and said "Of course I need a bag I can't just carry this around like some weird person"
          Um, yeah cause people are think you are nuts for carrying a refrigerator magnet around. You could have easily put it in your purse.
          Life could be wonderful if people would leave you alone
          - Charlie Chaplin

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.
          - Captain Jack Sparrow

Comment

There are many times I will ask the clerk to not use a bag. Its a waste if not needed.

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
              My brain broke. So, because you asked the person in front if he wanted a bag, he said 'no' she took that to mean she wasn't entitled to a bag for her pastry and receipt?

How did she function enough in society to be able to go on this trip?

I think she was just pissed off/embarrassed that the guy ahead of her had a prompt response to her snotty question about how to carry bacon without a bag and decided to unload on you.

Though why it should matter one iota to her how other people carry their purchases around is beyond me.

Comment

if she was so concerned about what people would think, then you could have offered her a bag to wear over her head
                there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  I think she was just pissed off/embarrassed that the guy ahead of her had a prompt response to her snotty question about how to carry bacon without a bag and decided to unload on you.
                  That's my take on this. Starlee was seen as a soft target less likely to strike back.
                  Quoth Pixilated View Post
                  Though why it should matter one iota to her how other people carry their purchases around is beyond me.
                  There are people who live for the grievance--I know I married into a clan of them...took me 6 years to cure Mrs. TGK of that.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth AyreBiskits View Post
                    if she was so concerned about what people would think, then you could have offered her a bag to wear over her head
                    A nice plastic one! I'll even tie it on for you!

Comment

So today at work I had another person fuss about a bag. Two women were together buying two bottles of water and a bag of chips, I think. I asked if they want a bag, and the first lady says, nope, I'm good. Then the second lady says, "No no! OF COURSE WE NEED A BAG. Yes, we need a bag!!!" So I put the stuff in a bag. The first lady was all O_o

Do you think this is something that could be diagnosed by a psychiatrist? A phobia of leaving a store with unbagged purchases, perhaps? Symptoms include irritability, anxiety, and delusions.

Comment

Oh lord. Don't get me started on convenient little stores hotels have. The hotel I used to work at had those where people could buy snacks. Well some people did their whole grocery shopping in there, buying 100s of stuff. I had to ring them out, turn around and check in people at the same time. We also didn't have plastic bags, so I ogt a lot of angry bag people who had to haul all this stuff up. Never again. I'm sooo glad my hotel doesn't have those. Though people have been complaining since there's none, so now we have a few items on sale. Luckily no one has bought anything much...:\
                        Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                        The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Dude should have slipped the package of bacon down the front of his pants, instead of wrapping in the paper.

Woman probably woulda shit her pants.....

Mike
                          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                            Dude should have slipped the package of bacon down the front of his pants, instead of wrapping in the paper.

Woman probably woulda shit her pants.....

Mike
                            Or gone down after it...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                            X