This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Report from the Field

I apologize for my recent "away time", I've been busy.

Sister had twins, so me being the "Cool Brother", gets to babysit the older ones for the evening, Maria is cramming for her Law Tests, and the Shop was...calm. But this is CS, so we all know what comes next. A little exposition first

We've switched to a Three-Tier system now(it's AWESOME!), and on Fridays we have Half-Price Paint OR 24 Hours for 24$. League players are exempt from both promotions since they get a better deal.

League Players pay $300 a year and get free admission, a case of 500 paintballs per session(no more then 3 sessions a week) and 10 free C02 or HPA.

So it's Friday afternoon, usually a busy day for us(kids getting out of school, the 'Weekend Warriors', etc), but today was quiet....too quiet.
    Suspect #1: The Pro-Player

I hate these kinds of players, the stuck-up, narcissistic, self-centered....whoops, sorry...SUCKY CUSTOMERS. Now, I'm friends with a few pro-players(and they're skills trounce mine), but this guy was different.

PP: *tosses gun onto GLASS! counter* My gun is broke, fix it
    Me: What seems to be the problem(I double as the Gun-tech on Fridays)
    PP: *sneers* I dunno, your the tech, fix it *he huffs and walks out*

INFO: If I don't know what's wrong with your gun, and we haven't even DISCUSSED how much it's gonna cost, I'm not touching it. In case, anybody is wondering...the marker was this http://static.zoovy.com/img/zephyrsp..._gun_polar.jpg These things retail for MINIMUM 2k-CDN, and that's not without upgrades.

I go back and help a newbie with his late V-Day gift(see below), and tell my boss about the the gun, and his words were...."leave it to me". Too bad I left before he came back, but I will update you all when I do.
    The Newbie

Before the incident above, I had been helping a new player and his lovely wife with getting into Paintball. Turns out, she had played in High-School/University but gave it up, so for Valentine's Day, they both decided to buy each's other equipment and start playing. As I was going through the selection, I offered them a free game, to test it out to see if they both liked it.

She was rusty but good, he had some....unique ideas. But in the end, not only did they get everything they wanted, they "splurged" and got a League pass.

Am I good or I am Good. '
    The Talk

Ok, I must admit, I was SCARED when my boss calls me into his office to "talk about my performance".

Gus: How long have you been employed here
    Me: Coming up on 11 years
    Gus: In that time, you've done well, beyond what I expected, however there comes a time in every job where things become...difficult.
    Me:
    Gus: There is no easy way to say this, but here goes...
    Me: *thinking*(please don't fire me, please don't fire me)
    Gus: I'm retiring and I want you to take over as Owner
    Me:

so starting in June, we begin the process of switching the field over from his name to mine.
    Last edited by paintballworker; 02-17-2013, 05:50 AM.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right?

Quoth paintballworker View Post
    so starting in June, we begin the process of switching the field over from his name to mine.
    CONGRATS!!!

Comment

Holy Cow!! That is awesome! Congrats and keep us posted!
      The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Congrats. Though between the inner screams of joy, I bet you were calling your boss an asshole for screwing with your head like that. lol

Comment

Quoth paintballworker View Post
          Gus: I'm retiring and I want you to take over as Owner
          Me:

What's the opposite of schadenfreude? *Googles/Wikis it*

Ah. Mudita. Definitely Mudita here. Just reading those few lines kinda made my night

Comment

The thing is, he does this ALL THE TIME. Makes you think you in trouble, BAM! Nope, he's giving you a raise. The best example was I had been there working for about 9 months, and I had to ask for 2 weeks off for my sisters wedding(she got married on a ship en-route to Antarctica). He said sure, but sounded pissed off. I get back, and he's MAD, like WESTERN BAD GUY DRUNK MAD.

"*paintballworker*! MY OFFICE! NOW!"

shitshitshitshitshitshit

Hands me an envelope. I open it, thinking pink slip, JACKASS found out it was my Birthday and gave me a check for $250, and a new timesheet(I got more pay and equal hours).

And even though I'm "buying" the field from him, he's still going to be coming in and working, he's going to be my weekend Tech.

Between my sister, Maria and my nieces and nephews screaming, I'm all screamed out.
            Frying pans! Who knew, right?

Comment

Very nice! So glad to hear it!!
              If anyone breaks the three pint rule, they'll be running all night to the pisser and back.

Comment

Congrats, thats awesome

Comment

That's wonderful, CONGRATULATIONS!
                  Yeah, your boss has a bit of a warped sense of humour but he sounds like an awesome boss for all that!

Comment

Welcome back and CONGRATS! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Congrats on your big surprise! Congrats to your whole family, too, on the birth of twins! That's so cool!
                      I no longer fear HELL.
                      I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Way to go PBW!!!!!!
                        And why do they keep the employees in a cage? The same reason they keep lions, tigers and bears in a cage, to keep them from culling the herd. -Dark Psion

Comment

Wow! Congrats!
                          Last edited by Antares; 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM.
                          I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Your boss sounds like he has the same sense of humor my dad did. Makes me miss Dad more again.

Comment

You realize what this means, right? Starting in June, you will be the owner. I know, I know, you know this, because you just said it. But it means you will be The Owner whenever you deal with asshole customers, people who claim to be good friends with the owner, people who demand to see your boss, etc. You can TOTALLY fuck with these people once you take full control. And the best thing is, you can't be fired for it.

Think about it. And admit it...you are SO going to enjoy it when it happens. I know I would.

And your boss vaguely reminds me of my old boss for the mobile dj company. I worked for him for 3.5 of the 4 years I worked for that company, and in those 3.5 years, about once a month either he fired me or I quit. Just about every month. It was hilarious. "Jester, you're fired!" "Yeah, whatever man. See you next week." "Okay."

Come to think of it, I've had a few bosses like that, who "fired" me often. Which is odd, considering the fact that I've only ever been fired 4 times in my life, 3 of them from newspaper routes. (I was the worst paperboy ever.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X