This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yelled at for not being happy enough

A few days ago, a guest called to make a reservation. My lobby was full, so I transferred her to central reservations with my usual spiel of "One moment while I transfer you to a reservation agent."

About five minutes later, she called me back screaming at me for transferring her. "Why did you transfer me?!? I stay there all the time and I always just call the front desk and they just make the reservation for me and I've never been transferred and blargle blargle...." she continued ranting at full volume for about another minute before she could pause.

Me: "Ma'am, when you called I had guests in front of me, so I transferred you so they could take care of you while I took care of the people in front of me."
    SC: "Oh, okay, that makes sense. I've just never been transferred before."

A couple days ago, a lady came up to me in the office. She asked about the CW who worked before me.

Me: "That was CW."
    SC: "Oh, she was so nice. There's also another lady who works the front desk. [gives my name]" (My nametag has my full name on it, not my common name I give over the phone.)
    Me: "That's me."
    SC: "Oh. Well when I called, you just didn't sound happy."
    Me: "I'm...sorry?"
    SC: "You need to sound happier."

It didn't connect until I looked up the name associated with her room number after she left, at which point I saw it was the same SC. Well, sorry if I don't fart rainbows after being verbally reamed for doing a normal part of my job. Bitch.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Ah, yes, the I Get To Tell You How To Feel sucktomer.... I hate those people.

Years ago, a customer wrote to our manager complaining about a co-worker of mine. She stated that CW was helpful, polite, professional, answered all her questions, did a good job, etc.....

.....But she just didn't sound happy. And this apparently bothered the sucktomer so much that she had to write a letter to the manager to bitch about it.

At least the manager didn't take it seriously. He actually thought it was funny.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that if she'd been the customer in front of you, you'd have been reamed for answering the phone and thus ignoring her? Oh, right.. it's a depressingly predictable scenario.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I get this all. the. time. They aska question and don't like my response. Or my response is too straight-forward when I don't have time to be chatty.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I don't get this behavior out of SCs. Perhaps the employee is going through some sort of life crisis. Perhaps they just received bad news or something.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Ah, yes, the I Get To Tell You How To Feel sucktomer.... I hate those people.
            Me too, and I've had far too many of them.

"This store's an absolute shithole and so are you! You're a pathetic little loser who'll never amount to anything! You're worthless, ugly and stupid! Your mother should've aborted you! And WHY AREN'T YOU SMILING?!"

Yeah, they never do grasp that cause-and-effect thing...
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

When The Glorious Revolution comes, the Emotion Police will be the first against the wall!

Well, okay, among the first.

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
                When The Glorious Revolution comes, the Emotion Police will be the first against the wall!

Well, okay, among the first.
                The first one against the wall will be YOU! Yes, YOU!

Not you, Cat Herder, you'll probably okay.

I'M TALKING TO YOU. YEAH, YOU. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I've actually had people tell me off for not smiling all the time. I mean.... really? No one is going to be smiling 100% of the time. It takes alot of energy to be "on" all the time. Sometimes, you're just tired.

Comment

"When I called, you just didn't sound happy."

Well, ma'am, you didn't sound too happy either.
                    Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

It's either you're not happy, or cheerful, or smiling, or you don't want to go into a long ass coversation with them about shit you don't know/care about whether or not there's a line at the counter.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

Imagine I'm Hannibal Lecter. Do you REALLY want me to be smiling, Claris?

Comment

My first job (part-time waitress at weekends as a school kid) I used to regularly get complaints for not smiling (as staggeringly working 5 rooms on my own and the till (no training goes withough saying) meant me being too stressed to be smiling. Not helped by the flaming owners occasionally popping over to expect us to drop everythnig to serve them, despite any queues..

The weekend when the town was hit with a flood, standing there with the plates of apple crumble floating on my tray, with my hair plastered to my face as the roof was leaking and water was flowing though the doors, having tourists asking me if I was aware that water was running down the walls was, in hindsight, hysterical.)

Since then, I have had a little more sympathy for people who complain about a lack of a smile, as I used to tell Bill*, our local big issue seller, many days when I had the previous job, which was flaming miserable, he was the only chap who gave me a smile.

But yes, there's no justification for people yelling about a lack of happy.

Comment

People, it could get a lot worse:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10285578-1.html

Who else wants to strangle the twit who came up with this abomination?

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
                              People, it could get a lot worse:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10285578-1.html

Who else wants to strangle the twit who came up with this abomination?
                              I would love to be the one smiling while flipping the bird with one hand, and holding a sign with the other saying, "You can't get everything you want in life either, SO SMILE!!!"

I'd be tempted to smile like this instead:
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X