Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dial 4 for, wait that number isn't in service.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O-rings are small & cheap & usually designed to be fail points.
    …which is why you change them while the machine is apart anyway; you don't put the ones with nicks or flat spots back in, because then it will quit working in the middle of lunch.
    (Though the ones the space shuttles used were, of course, neither small nor cheap)

Update - They called back, and I got my order placed. Much better than last time ordering from them.
    YAY!!!

What make lube "food service quality"?
    It *may* just be a legal thing. But it does get in the product a little bit; sometimes noticeably in the first few cones after assembly. So it has to be safe and relatively tasteless.

Sorry for going on. I miss "my" ice cream machine.
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
      (Though the ones the space shuttles used were, of course, neither small nor cheap)
      And made in Utah by a company owned by polygamists. (A few years after Challenger I installed a card access system there.)
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
        Update - They called back, and I got my order placed. Much better than last time ordering from them.
        Pray you have this much trouble getting to a person the next time around, because it seems to have made the ordering end of things easier
        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post

It *may* just be a legal thing. But it does get in the product a little bit; sometimes noticeably in the first few cones after assembly. So it has to be safe and relatively tasteless.

Sorry for going on. I miss "my" ice cream machine.
          That is correct. It is safe to eat and tasteless. The person who used to do it demonstrated that be eating some.

There is also a NSFW part to this as well Highlight to see.

One morning after opening, the opener had to use the restroom, and found a tube of it in the men's bathroom. END!
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I sure hope that wasn't your last tube...

(This is more or less why I started keeping all that stuff in the car. Though the actual incident was finding out, as I was using it to scrub out the mix reservoirs, that people had been using the big brush for cleaning toilets. Yes, it *looks* like a toilet brush, but yuck.)
            Last edited by HYHYBT; 06-22-2012, 01:14 AM. Reason: Add gross story
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

There's a pretty thorough write-up of the Challenger disaster in one of Richard Feynman's autobiographies - since he was on the investigation committee. Worth reading, as it's still a classic example of management failure.

"Nature cannot be fooled."

At one point he demonstrated the O-ring problem by borrowing one of the O-rings from a *model* of the Shuttle, which happened to be made of the same material, clamping it in a miniature vice, and immersing it in his glass of ice water at the conference table. Later he took it out of the glass, unscrewed the vice, showed everyone that the rubber had not rebounded to it's original shape, and reminded them that ice water was always very close to freezing point, similar to the temperature on the launchpad. So when the joint flexed under the increased pressure due to the engines being turned on, the ring no longer sealed it.

And then he pointed out that the engineers responsible for the design knew this, and had communicated it up the chain of command, and written it into the operating manuals - but that all this advice had been ignored by upper management who made the decisions on whether to launch or not.
              Last edited by Chromatix; 06-24-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                And made in Utah by a company owned by polygamists. (A few years after Challenger I installed a card access system there.)
                That sounds like a conspiracy theory in the making

(Just joking, honest)

Madness takes it's toll....
                Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                  And then he pointed out that the engineers responsible for the design knew this, and had communicated it up the chain of command, and written it into the operating manuals - but that all this advice had been ignored by upper management who made the decisions on whether to launch or not.
                  Yup. And there's the real tragedy. The flaws were well known, documented, and completely ignored by people who were too antsy to wait a couple more days for the temperatures to rise. Those astronauts in the shuttle were killed by impatience.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                  X