Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How obvious does it need to be that I'm on my lunch?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How obvious does it need to be that I'm on my lunch?!

You don't get to get uppity at me for taking a moment to CHEW AND SWALLOW so I don't have to answer you with a MOUTH FULL OF FOOD. Perhaps if you had chosen another staff member, say, the one who was about three feet away shelving items, instead of the one with an armful of chicken nuggets and soda hurrying towards the stairs, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Because how dare I make you wait ten seconds for an answer to your query, right? I should have spat out my lunch and answered you immediately. MY BAD.

Also fuck you, I'm pretty fucking obviously on my lunch break so you're lucky I stopped at all. It's only my wretched work ethic and well-drilled (by my parents) manners that forced me to stop when I badly wanted to just ignore you and keep on walking.
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

I have the same issue but with my coworkers. I'm a 'senior' consultant so I get lots of questions - but its got the the point where I will be sitting there, mid mouthful, big red (fake) Beats headphones on with Pantera at some ungodly volume, and there will be someone (9/10 it'll be the co-irker I've named Derp) trying to ask me questions.
    How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Unfortunately, sucktomers see nothing more than your store uniform or nametag, and assume that you're there to do their bidding until you change clothes or leave the store. It doesn't matter if you have an armful of food you're clearly intending to eat as you head for the nearest register, they just HAVE to stop you and ask some idiotic question.

Comment

I just pretend I don't hear. I'm not getting paid, so....
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

This past Christmas season, I walked into my store on my day off - without uniform, naturally. I was dropping off my casserole for the next day's Christmas Eve luncheon.

A woman stopped and said "Do you work here?" I said "Yes but I'm not " And that's as far as I got. "Well I just want to ask you a question about this <product>"

Really???? I'm clearly not in uniform and carrying a casserole dish. Okay, maybe you recognize me as a worker in this store, but I DON'T have a relationship with you - I've never seen you before!

I kept walking and shrugged my shoulder over at the co-worker IN UNIFORM STANDING AT THE REGISTER "She can help you".

OMG I mean REALLY????????????

Comment

Never start the response with "Yes". Start it with "I'm sorry, I'm not on the clock" or "I'm afraid I can't help you right now" or anything other than "Yes" because, like the magic word "free" or "sale" on a poster, that is the only part of it that a SC will hear.
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I just tell people that I don't in fact work there. If I'm not on the clock I'm not working, therefore I am not working there right now.
              Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
              Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                I just tell people that I don't in fact work there. If I'm not on the clock I'm not working, therefore I am not working there right now.
                I made that mistake once. Lady then comes in a couple days later and sees me working and throws a GIANT fit because I lied to her the other day about not working here.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                  I made that mistake once. Lady then comes in a couple days later and sees me working and throws a GIANT fit because I lied to her the other day about not working here.
                  Yeh. Better to completely sidestep the question and say something like "the customer service desk is near the front, I'm sure they can find an store employee for you".
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth drjonah View Post
                    "Wen you saw me, I was here for my interview..."

Comment

One of my friends was leaving her job at Walmart, wearing her coat, carrying her bag, and talking on the phone to her dad, when a customer stopped her with a question.

Friend was nicer than me; she went and found an employee who was actually on the clock to help her. I have been known to ignore people who approach me when I am obviously off the clock.
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Our breakroom is on the other side of the store from the time clock. My journeys too and from said breakroom are like an adventure game. No eye contact and avoid any aisle that has a villain...I mean customer. Hey, I only get 30 minutes and I need all of it for myself. But if I am stopped it's usually just some looking to be pointed in the right direction of an item. With a quick "Over there" I slink away when their backs are turned and I'm off again.
                        I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                          Never start the response with "Yes". Start it with "I'm sorry, I'm not on the clock" or "I'm afraid I can't help you right now" or anything other than "Yes" because, like the magic word "free" or "sale" on a poster, that is the only part of it that a SC will hear.
                          And even that doesn't stop the suck, because I was off the clock and leaving when I got the "Do you work here?" and I said "Not at the moment; I'm off the clock and going home". And the SC proceeded to try to ask me where something was at. I said "I am not on the clock, and I am going home. Talk to someone who isn't in their coat and trying to go home." SC continued to ask about something, and I finally saw a co-worker. I again interrupted, saying "I am off the clock, I am going home. HE can help you." And then walked off.
                          The customer is not always right. Most of the time, the customer is a clueless moron. If this offends you, you are this moron.

Comment

that doesn't work either, if the SC figures out that you work there then come hell or high water you BETTER help them. at least according to one of my former bosses at the book store i work at, if you're in or around the store - you're working, break or no break. obviously i don't work there any more
                            there's some people with issues that medication, therapy or a baseball bat just can't cure

Comment

I'm too darn snarky, I think I'd trot out something to the tune of,

"Ok, wait here for me. I was just on my way out after already putting in my 8 hours so I need to go find a manager and clock back in. I'm not allowed to help a customer off the clock, insurance and safety reasons, you know? Then I'll need to change back into my uniform. I should be back here in about ten minutes. Or you could go to the customer service desk and they can page an on-duty employee to help you and they should be there in 60 seconds."

Comment

Working...
                              X