Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How obvious does it need to be that I'm on my lunch?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'M ON MY FUCKIN' LUNCH BREAK OKAY?!
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Well, for those in the US, anyway -- if someone tries to get you to directly give them help when yer off the clock (an on-the-clock break doesn't count), ask them if they have the paperwork with them that allows them an exemption from Federal labor laws ...'Cuz that's what they're trying to violate. Forcing a worker to work off the clock and "allowing" them to do so are considered the same violation. As for why...? A manager can always force someone to work and make them claim that it was voluntary.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Gah... this is one of my pet hates.

Back when I used to ride a motorbike, I was leaving the supermarket I worked at wearing full leathers and carrying a crash helmet when this stupid woman came up to me. "I recognise your hair, you work here, don't you?" she burbled. I replied, "I'm finished for the day; if you go up to customer services, someone there will help you" and walked off quickly before she could reply. I even sneaked a look over my shoulder to make sure she wasn't following me.

At the pet store, since there was no breakroom and the backroom had nowhere to sit, I used to go and sit outside on a bench to eat lunch. Now, working there I was on fixed hours and my lunch break was an hour and unpaid. I lost count of the times customers would come up to me and go, "Ha ha, I ruined your lunch break!" or "Tee hee, I ruined your smoke break!" as I was taking a bite out of a sandwich or inhaling some much needed nicotine. Their faces would then fall as I'd reply, "Actually, no. I'm not on the clock right now and not being paid so I can't help you. If you'd like to buy a pet, then you're welcome to come back at 1:30 when I will be working."

Since the pet store was situated in the middle of the garden centre, there were plenty of employees not on lunch break who could help them buy their pet food or whatever, and if they needed a pet they could surely wait til I was done. They ended up walking away muttering angrily and sometimes telling the manager, but the manager couldn't do anything. He once told me I should take my walkie talkie with me when I went to lunch so I could deal with customer queries, but I refused to on the grounds that since I wasn't getting paid, I shouldn't have to work during my lunch break.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
          He once told me I should take my walkie talkie with me when I went to lunch so I could deal with customer queries, but I refused to on the grounds that since I wasn't getting paid, I shouldn't have to work during my lunch break.
          The courts have made the same decision. A break is defined as 'a period of time where the employee is guaranteed to not undertake work'. That means, no radios, no phone calls, no inquiries. If someone does make you undertake work then it's no longer a break and you're entitled to another break. The law is very clear on this.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

In the tax office, I am the manager, so every stupid question has to come my way. I was in the bathroom (We only have one bathroom and one toilet so it is a PRIVATE bathroom)
            I have had employees BANG on the door to ask me questions while I am in there.
            You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Quoth AmethystSquirrel View Post
              ... I have had employees BANG on the door to ask me questions while I am in there.
              Mommy! Mommmmy!
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Mommy! Mommmmy!
                Yes, I think of Stewie when that happens!
                You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

Customer: Do you work here?
                  Me: Not anymore! I got fired!
                  Customer: LIAR!
                  Me: Lying's what got me fired, ma'am.
                  cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                  X