Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sucky Tourist Spring Season has started!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky Tourist Spring Season has started!

Before I left last morning, I checked our percentage. It was only 80. When I arrived for work the next day, I checked it again. It had somehow skyrocketed to sold out! What! How could it go so high.
    So I go about my daily business and this annoying woman comes up, AW.
    Her: I'm looking for rooms.
    Me: We're sold out.
    Her: ...........*blankstare*
    Me: ....
    Her: Well...know any rooms available around here?
    I look online. Hotel #1 is sold out, and so is Hotel #2, and Hotel #3, and so forth.
    Me: Nope it looks all sold out to me. Guess there was some convention. *inside my head* D*** you, conventions!

Her:.....
    Her:...Well, I need a room.
    Me: Oh, look, there's one that has rooms, it's 4 miles away.
    Her: FOUR MILES?!
    Me: You have a car?
    Her: No.
    Me: Well, I could call you a taxi. *inside my head* Please say yes and go away. Please say yes and go away.
    Her: No! Taxis are EVIL. The drivers rape you.
    Me: Huh?! Ma'am, I can assure you that our taxis are very safe and they don't uh, rape you.
    Her: But I want a hotel that's near the airport.
    Me: This hotel that has rooms, is closer to the airport than us.
    Her: .................... ................... .......................
    Me: What's the matter, you don't have money for a taxi?
    Her: OF course I have money! I have plenty of money!
    Me: Then?
    Her:...........I think I'll just keep looking online.
    Me: Suit yourself...
    So she sat down in the lobby and played around with her phone, I guess looking for a room online. Hours passed. I considered kicking her out, since she wasn't staying there, but I decided to be nice and let her stay.
    So finally she comes up to me. Again.
    Her: Helloooooo?!?!?!
    Me: Can I help you?
    Her: I made a booking for tonight. I'd like to check in.
    Me: Um....we're sold out.
    Her: I made the booking? See?
    She shows me her phone.
    Me: *sigh* This is for the 1st, not the 31st.
    Her: It is the 1st! It's 3am, the 1st of April!
    Me: I know but checkin time's not till 3pm. All the rooms are taken NOW.
    Her:.....well, when do people check out.
    Me: I don't know, but if they do, their rooms aren't clean. The maids don't come until 9am.
    Her: ........... ..........
    Her: Are you SURE??? You MUST have a spare room, you must! I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. I can pay you...*smile* extra.
    Me: No we don't.
    Her: Wow I can't believe this! You'd let me stay in the lobby but not in a bed upstairs. I don't believe it!
    I hope she'd leave cause she was starting to get on my nerves. Instead she went to the lobby again and pouted. Money for a room but no money for a taxi?
    And so it begins.

This happened a week ago. A couple showing major PDA came late at night. The guy finally broke apart from his GF to ask what the rate was. I told him. He wanted a discount. I said no.
    "What? Well, I'll just look around then!" was his answer.
    "Go ahead." I shrug.
    While he's looking on his phone, the GF approachs me. "You know, you really should show more customer service."
    "Huh?" I said. "All I did was give you the correct rate. It really is the correct rate..."
    "I know," she says, "but I work in hotels too and I always give the customer a high rate, and then be nice and lower it. That way, I look like a hero, see? And the customers are happier."
    "Riiiight. Well, I like to be honest, that's all," I say.
    "Oh me too, but it's better customer service this way!"
    Sooo...lying to a customer is better service nowadays? Um, then I don't want to be better. That threw me for a bit.

And a few days ago, this SC shoved a laptop at me and said connecting to the internet was too hard and it'd take him a year to figure it out! After taking 5 min to connect him, I thought he'd be happy. I guess he was embarassed because he then complained it was too slow; his company's website wasn't loading! I took his laptop and brought up Google. 1 second, then it loaded. Then Yahoo's Homepage. 2 seconds, to load. But his company's website? Never came up. Then I suggested that maybe, just maybe, his company's website was having problems or something. "Nonsense!" he proclaimed. "It's YOUR crappy internet service and I'm talking to a manager tommorrow." And stormed off.

And so it begins.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
    This happened a week ago. A couple showing major PDA came late at night. The guy finally broke apart from his GF to ask what the rate was. I told him. He wanted a discount. I said no.
    "What? Well, I'll just look around then!" was his answer.
    "Go ahead." I shrug.
    While he's looking on his phone, the GF approachs me. "You know, you really should show more customer service."
    "Huh?" I said. "All I did was give you the correct rate. It really is the correct rate..."
    "I know," she says, "but I work in hotels too and I always give the customer a high rate, and then be nice and lower it. That way, I look like a hero, see? And the customers are happier."
    Sooo...lying to a customer is better service nowadays? Um, then I don't want to be better. That threw me for a bit.
    I do this all the time. I've gotten to the point where I can tell if they're going to ask for a discount while talking on the phone to people, so I give them a price that is about 20% above what I would normally charge, then when they ask, I um and ahh for a few minutes before telling them that just this once I can take it down for them.

I do get the occasional one calling back for more work trying to get discount again. Far more the exception than the rule for me though.
    Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Me: Well, I could call you a taxi. *inside my head* Please say yes and go away. Please say yes and go away.
      Her: No! Taxis are EVIL. The drivers rape you.
      What the shit?! Who SAYS that?

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        1) someone who read a story about a bad cab driver once, and can't fathom that not everyone in the world is exactly the same.

2) someone who's willing say any stupid thing to try to guilt/bulky the desk clerk into giving them a room, irrespective ofnthe fact that there aren't any to be had.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Who doesn't like Newfie music? Add in some newfies and booze and you've got a show!

Comment

"Mr. Scott, do you always multiply your repair estimates by a factor of three?"
            "But of course, Admiral; how else can I keep my reputation as a miracle worker?"
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I suggested that maybe, just maybe, his company's website was having problems or something. "Nonsense!" he proclaimed. "It's YOUR crappy internet service and I'm talking to a manager tommorrow." And stormed off.
              Up next: you being blamed for their car problems because it's in your parking lot
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                Women from India.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Oh crap, we''re caught! We thought we were keeping our evil well hidden with only one puppy kicking social a month and labeling our moustache twirling classes as "Facial Follicle Maintenance Seminars". The jig is up, time to close down the secret volcano lair and let the dashing British spies go.

Ahem

Honestly, from my experience I'm in more danger from my customers then they are from me. What with the booze and the drugs and the crazies who want into my pants.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                    Women from India.
                    Wow good call! She did look of Indian descent. Huh.

Oh yeah mr big bad businessman did complain to a manager the next day. I'm not sure what happened but he didn't look happy when he checked out. Maybe has gas.
                    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

For the 1st story, I would never have let the woman camp out in the lobby for that long. 1hr is the MAX I would let anyone stay, and that is if I still have rooms available, and they are seeking a better rate.

If I am S/O, then they might get away with ~15-20 minutes before I politely ask them to go elsewhere. Maybe another ~10 minutes before I become more insistent. And another ~5 minutes after that where I basically tell them they need to go somewhere else, I don't have any rooms. That would have precluded her last statement entirely.

Then again, I haven't worked in hotels near an airport, so...

SC

PS: Those times would get much shorter if she were argumentative about it.
                      "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Working...
                      X