This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Have Been Dragged Back Into the Abyss

I have officially returned to retail! *weep* Thanks to my security job cutting my hours, I now work part-time at Ross Dress for Less as well in order to buy those fancy groceries I can't quite give up. I actually rather like my job, it's not as busy as my old grocery store, the hours aren't too bad, plus I like the people I work with. I've been there for a few weeks by now, and naturally, I already have some stories to tell.

---

In my store, the bathrooms are beside the fitting rooms, and we have to push a button to unlock the door (to ensure nobody takes in merchandise.) This is a near-daily occurrence:

Customer: Do you have a bathroom?
    Me: Yes, we do, right through that door. (pushes button)
    Customer: *stares at door with giant sign that says 'RESTROOM' on it, then walks past it into the men's fitting room*
    Me: *facepalm*

---

Me: *walks by and sees two kids pulling dresses off the rack and dumping them on the floor* Hey! Stop that!
    Kids: *look at me and continue*
    Me: *goes to find parents and informs them of the situation*
    Parents: *do absolutely fuck all*
    Me: *sighs and picks up dresses once they finally scatter off to another area of the store*

---

Me: *checking out customer and making small talk at the register*
    Customer: My daughter used to work at Ross before she got a REAL job.
    Me: ...right. Well, I have some more fake work to do.

---

Dear Customer(s) Who Peed in the Fitting Rooms Two Days in a Row (and left merchandise floating in it),

Go fuck yourself.

No love,
    Me

---

Something I've noticed that is common in my store is that customers just loooove to ask for discounts on already discounted items. Ross is already a discount store, plus occasionally we have clearance items. Now, for some items I can understand asking for a discount, but we're not going to have the same standard of products that a normal department store would have. Here are some of the more...let's say interesting reasons for requesting discounts:

"This basket is splintered!" (It's a wicker basket the size of a small house. It had ONE splinter on it, so much so that we had to search endlessly in order to see the one you were referring to.)

"This dress is missing a liner!" (It's a sheen dress. It doesn't come with a liner. You're supposed to supply your own clothes beneath it.)

Now there are two stories to tell involving this. The first is about a group of women who said they were picking out bridesmaid dresses for a wedding, and they saw that one dress was discounted for $9.99, while the others (same style, but different colors) were at normal price for $12.99. They wanted all of the dresses for the $9.99 price, my manager said we couldn't do that since store policy says they have to be the exact same style/color/brand, etc. They decide to hold up the line for over ten minutes cursing and carping about how it's the "same dress" and they deserve the sale price and the manager doesn't know what she's talking about. They are eventually given the dresses on sale just to make them go away. *sigh*

The next story is about a woman and her son who came up with two plastic bins that are meant to hold snacks. One was large for $8.99, one was smaller but for $11.99.

Customer: *hands me $11.99 item* Can you check the price on this?
    Me: *looks at tag* It's $11.99, ma'am.
    Customer: No, what's the REAL price?
    Me: *scans it* $11.99, ma'am.
    Customer: No, it isn't.
    Me: I beg your pardon?
    Customer: It's not the REAL price. This one is only $8.99 and it's bigger, so you have to give it to me for cheaper than that.
    Me: *gets the manager*
    Manager: I can give you them both for the $8.99 price, ma'am.
    Customer: Yeah, just forget it. I don't want either of them. *to me* Don't feel bad, sweetie, I know it's not your fault, some people just aren't meant to be managers. I'll come back tomorrow for the REAL price. *continues to talk to her son condescendingly about how businesses try to cheat you, while I do a slow burn and scan her remaining items*

---

But thankfully that's been all so far, and I actually still like it in spite of it all. But I'm sure I'll be back with more stories for you soon.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

Quoth SecurityWench View Post
    Customer: No, what's the REAL price?
    Me: *scans it* $11.99, ma'am.
    Customer: No, it isn't.
    Me: You're right; now it's $12.99.
    Corrected that for you
    "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
    -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Ugh, the "real job" people. Without our "fake" work, you'd have to ring yourself out, lady. And wash your own car. And make all of your own food and clothes. Bitch...

Comment

Why do I suspect that the first guy and the fourth guy were the same person...? >_>
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
          Ugh, the "real job" people. Without our "fake" work, you'd have to ring yourself out, lady. And wash your own car. And make all of your own food and clothes. Bitch...
          I must admit to being guilty of this myself, but only in reference to my own past jobs or when I'm givin my friend a hard time. I tend to refer to my current job as my first "REAL" job. As if the two and a half years I spent in tech support purgatory was all just fun and games.

I think the root of it is people think of such jobs (retail, front-line tech support, food service, etc.) as "in between" jobs. Not even stepping stones, just something you do while working on getting that "real," usually salaried, job.

Let me introduce them to my aforementioned friend, who is a year older than me, has never had a "real" job in his life, only works part time, and by at least some measures... is happier in life than me. Who are they to tell him his part time work spraying down the parking lot at Sonic isn't a "real" job?

Only I'm allowed to do that.

Ok, so I usually only give him shit about it when he complains about working too hard. ie, when he deserves it.
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Not to mention wipe your own ass.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with her Royal Bitchiness . . . if it's a job that pays me real money that goes into my real bank account that allows me to try to pay my real bills and have some real groceries in my house, then it's a real job.

I'm just lucky enough to have those coveted hours of 7-3 Monday-Friday. But then after dealing with checking dates through the store/stocking cigarettes and front end candy two mornings a week/dealing with vendor reps and account managers and delivery folks all week, I deserve my weekends (especially since those with "real" jobs get to have holidays off and I don't b/c we grocery store peons have to work in order for you to enjoy your holidays.)

I don't ask for much . . just the entire kit and kaboodle.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Yep, I would have smiled (in that sickeningly-sweet, too-many-teeth way) and said, "Well they pay me in real money, so to me it's a real job!"
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Customer service workers do real work, with real stress, and go home with our bodies really aching and heads really pounding. We get paid real money (not much, but it is real!) with real taxes taken out. There is nothing fake about the job. So yes, it is a real job!
                Quoth EricKei View Post
                Why do I suspect that the first guy and the fourth guy were the same person...? >_>
                Wouldn't surprise me a bit. And he needs a or fifty.
                Last edited by XCashier; 04-09-2014, 01:58 AM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Me: *checking out customer and making small talk at the register*
                  Me: ...right. Well, I have some more fake work to do.
                  In a dream world, you'd be able to say, "Well then I guess I am just in your Imagination." and walk away.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                    Let me introduce them to my aforementioned friend, who is a year older than me, has never had a "real" job in his life, only works part time, and by at least some measures... is happier in life than me.
                    My friend Popcorn does the same work I do: bartends. And for years, many of his friends would give him shit about when he was going to get a "real" job. And for the longest time he'd laugh along with them. Until one day...he didn't. He went off on one of those friends. The gist of his response was, "I have a real job. I also have a flexible schedule, get time off when I want, am happy at my job, I work harder than you, and I make more money than you. Which part of that isn't real to you?" Apparently word got around, because his friends no longer question his job.

I'm lucky. Few people ever ask me that question. My mother occasionally points out that I can't do this forever, and would like me to do something more with my writing ability, but she has never once denigrated my job, nor asked when I was going to get a real job. And people at my bar don't really do it, either, probably because they realize the very important truth of my job: I control their fucking booze.

But here is my answer to anyone who would dare pose that question to me:

I'm happy at my job. I get to be creative and interact with people from all walks of life and all parts of the world. I get to make people's vacations and lives better. I joke that I get people drunk for a living, but the fact is I make people HAPPY for a living. Also, while I have been looking for a second job, lately I haven't needed it. To be blunt, I work four days a week, have nights and weekends off, and live in a tropical island paradise full time. I don't have medical benefits or paid vacation time, but I have been managing make enough money where I've started to save $1,000 a month. You say that's not a real job...how's it compare to yours?

Yeah, now that I think about it, I'm kinda hoping some asshole DOES ask me the real job question. Especially if I'm not at work, so I don't even have to be polite about it.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      My friend Popcorn does the same work I do: bartends. And for years, many of his friends would give him shit about when he was going to get a "real" job. And for the longest time he'd laugh along with them. Until one day...he didn't. He went off on one of those friends. The gist of his response was, "I have a real job. I also have a flexible schedule, get time off when I want, am happy at my job, I work harder than you, and I make more money than you. Which part of that isn't real to you?" Apparently word got around, because his friends no longer question his job.
                      Reminds me of when I finally lost patience with the "real job" comments around the time I was leaving retail work. My parents were the chief 'offenders,' congratulating me for finally getting a "real job." I finally vented about it to Mom, pointing out that it doesn't exactly feel nice being told essentially that what I'd been doing for the past ten-plus years (including lifting heavy merchandise in and out of carts and on and off of shelves, going out and working up some major sweats hauling shopping carts around, getting up at the ass-crack of morning on the weekends and shambling through the day on less than two hours of sleep...) wasn't a "real job."

Mom immediately apologized and said she wouldn't do it again. Dad later did the same, although he does occasionally tease me about having a "real job," and chuckles at the glare he gets for it. I accept that as return fire for my frequent teasings about him not hearing well or being slow on the uptake about something, for which he glares at me.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I work in a very large law firm, you know, the ones that are the source of all evil in movies and television. There are so many attorneys, especially older ones, who can't conceive of paralegals and legal secretaries actually considering their jobs to be careers. One of the paralegals actually had one of the attorneys ask him what he was planning to do with his life.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth wagegoth View Post
                          I work in a very large law firm, you know, the ones that are the source of all evil in movies and television. There are so many attorneys, especially older ones, who can't conceive of paralegals and legal secretaries actually considering their jobs to be careers. One of the paralegals actually had one of the attorneys ask him what he was planning to do with his life.
                          Paralegals make $30k-$60k per year, plus benefits. That's a pretty good career, especially in a low cost of living area.

Comment

You're forgetting something important - the "real job" people would have to fetch all the stuff from the manufacturer themselves. After all, how do you think it GETS TO the store?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A train driver I follow on Twitter has apparently heard people say that driving trains is an "unskilled" job. He had some very choice words for them in reply.

Comment

Working...
                              X