This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When One Library Has an Event, ALL Libraries Must Be Having That Event

I felt for the young woman, really I did. But my colleagues and I nearly fell over laughing when she left, all of us trying to figure the thought process that went into this.

Young Mom with Two Children: Hi, I'm here for your story hour!

Staff Member: We don't have story hours today.

Young Mom: Oh, it's right on your web page.

Staff member calls me out to talk to patron.

Young Mom: Oh, do you do the story hours? It's today. I'm not late. It isn't 10 yet.

Me: You're actually VERY early. Story hour is (two days from today).

Young Mom: No, no no. It's on your home page.

We return to my office to look at the home page. Nothing about a story hour at my eensie weensie little library.

Young Mom: (Edgier now) It's right on your facebook page.

I bring up the facebook page. Nothing.

Me: We are going to have a story hour on this day starting next month, but until then, the one on (two days away) is our only story hour.

Young Mom (triumphantly holding phone out for me to look at) Here it is on your facebook page.

Me (looking at a facebook page for a library in town three towns away from us) Um. That's not our library. That's Other Library. They are part of Other Town. We have nothing to do with them.

Young Mom: Well, it said library and so I just assumed.....

She lives one block over from us. But she typed the word "library" in to look up things for her kids to do. Just library. I'm surprised she even managed to get so close. Is there NO ability to connect things in one's mind anymore?

Too bad she already bred.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It's not like she has anything better to do. I mean, she obviously isn't wasting time on reading or anything useless like that.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The importance of fine tuning your search and reading the results.... I'll admit there have been times when I got results for Timbuktu instead of my local area, and it HAS taken me a few minutes to realize that fact, but I DO eventually get there!

Comment

I have to be cautions with that as well. My city name is quite common in the US, and even my county's name (which UI had never heard of prior to moving here) is also used in another nearby state or two.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X