No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your state's UI department. In California, people whose hours are cut or employers are not operating because of COVID-19 are eligible to file for unemployment, and the usual unpaid "waiting week" is being waived.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Australian update here.

The borders between states are shutting down. I live in one state but work in the other. See?
      The issue is that I work in a large built up area that could be one town if the border didn't cut through the middle of it.
      I'll have to avoid using the highway entrance and take a detour through a suburb just before the town.
      Hopefully they'll be a bit lenient for border towns since it's gonna be a huge hassle if you just need to step out for a grocery run.

Comment

• The people behind me seem to find reason to party in this circumstance. It's nearly 2:00 am. I can't hear them in my bedroom--yet--but I feel sorry for the person/people under them. Somehow in these circumstances I just don't feel like livin' it up in the middle of the night. They're probably the same people that just go out wherever they want and get in everyone else's space.

I still don't feel well and while I'm fairly sure it's allergies, I'm worried and not in the mood for people's nonsense.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Anyone else have seasonal allergies but keep getting scared you have this virus or another? Even if I get coronavirus, knowing me, the symptoms won't be bad. But I don't want to give it to others.
          I have dust allergies which produce asthma and a chronic cough, so I've definitely been worrying every time I start getting wheezy. I've been checking my temperature regularly, though, and I'm in a normal range, so so far I'm good.

Comment

• I just find it interesting that the contractor staff (cleaners, security) whose hours were being cut / trimmed by the supermarket where I work, have suddenly been found to not be optional extras after all. Funny, that.
            Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

• Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
              I'm just wondering how they're going to enforce the nightly curfew, will those who work at grocery stores need something to prove that they **need** to be out on the road before and after those times?
              Since supermarkets have either uniforms or ID cards (or both), I'm guessing that there won't be any problem identifying those workers.
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

• Local libraries have closed, but several have posted their wifi passwords outside on their signs and also on social media, encouraging people to sit outside in their cars to access the library's wifi.

Here in Minnesota, we're expecting the governor to issue a "shelter in place" order today. It won't affect me as much, since banks are considered an "essential service."
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth greek_jester View Post
                  Since supermarkets have either uniforms or ID cards (or both), I'm guessing that there won't be any problem identifying those workers.
                  A fast food minion might have a uniform or badge. Someone in a mom-and-pop place won't. Also, this is going to become a standard occasion of police stopping people in the street, and you know as well as I who's going to get stopped every time instead of getting waved by with an excuse.

Comment

• Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Anyone else have seasonal allergies but keep getting scared you have this virus or another?
                    We've had a mild, almost non-existent winter over here, so I've been having allergy symptoms on and off for weeks. I usually get a minor case of allergies at the beginning of spring, and a bad one at the end of summer. Never had to take my pills in the middle of winter before.
                    Sometimes life is altered.
                    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                    Uneasy with confrontation.
                    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                      Local libraries have closed, but several have posted their wifi passwords outside on their signs and also on social media, encouraging people to sit outside in their cars to access the library's wifi.
                      Neither of the library systems which I use have a password to their public wifi network, but I know with the one I work in, we have ours set to shut off when the libraries are closed (had some issues with vandalism and trespassing)

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                        Here in Minnesota, we're expecting the governor to issue a "shelter in place" order today. It won't affect me as much, since banks are considered an "essential service."

Our governor has issued a "shelter in place" order beginning Wednesday, which means all non-essential businesses will shut down.

Of course it doesn't affect me . . . I'm so essential in my store, NOBODY wants to do my job if I'm out.

And speaking of non-essential businesses, thank Dog I get paid tomorrow . . . I'm gonna diddy bop on over to the nail salon after work for a fill in.

Governor Cooper may think that's non essential, but for me, it IS.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

• Today our shelter-in-place order has been extended 3 weeks, it was set to expire on Sunday otherwise. Schools, daycares and "stores with close customer contact" (i.e. hairdressers, tattoo shops, cafës/restaurants without takeaway and/or delivery options) are mandated to keep closed.

In the public sector all non-key workers are sent home with paid leave, but may be asked to assist in other functions.

For private business it's the sameold-sameold: "if you can work from home, do so" so I'm guessing I'll be working at the office twice a week and from home 3 times a week. However, our incoming calls/e-mails have quickly dropped so perhaps our boss will send one or more of us on either paid or unpaid leave (gov'ment initiatives ensure we'll get some income one way or another, no strings attached).

Grocery shopping is unexpectably ok to do, people did some hoarding once the shelter-in-place was ordered but right now there are lots of supplies avaiable.
                          Last edited by NorthernZel; 03-23-2020, 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

• The governor of my state just did some sort of shutdown starting Wednesday for two weeks. Basically only essential retail needs to be open (the definition is kinda vague) except that I work in a retail pharmacy so I'm essential and have a letter to prove it.

I'll read over all the details later. I'm just wiped out from work today and don't see it getting any better any time soon.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• Schools were supposed to be closed until Tuesday next week. That just got extended another two weeks. My job was supposed to resume normal operations tomorrow (i.e. I work from home three days this week and go in the other two), but now that's been extended indefinitely. Kind of saw that coming.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• I am already looking to replace my second job. A bunch of grocery stores are hiring for e-commerce. I'd like to get paid to shop.
                                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                                X