This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, we aren't a no-tell motel...

So, I'm back to work now that many of the restrictions in my province have been lifted and the Atlantic Bubble is in effect. This means reservations are starting to pick up as we've got more folks booking rooms, and this in turn leads to needing people to start coming back to work, and I started back to work a week ago now. Part-time to start, but I'll take it because I was starting to lose my mind.

Anyhow, there are a handful of properties in the city under the same main banner, but each property has different names, services, etc., and none of them are exactly cheap. Especially the one that is in today's story...$200+ a night for even the smallest room.

I check in this couple today and they were complaining right from the very moment I let them into the building. I figured once they got to their room, that would be the last of it. Oh, how wrong I was.

When I let them into their room the look on their faces said a lot - it is the second smallest room in that particular property, and the next size up is about $50 more per night. Now, I would have likely bumped them up to the next size room, free of charge, if we'd had it available. Of course, we didn't have it available as the property was pretty booked up.

While I was still on-site, they bitched about there being no ice...despite them having not bothering to look for it, or asking where it might be. Once I showed them, they were all quiet.

Now, there is usually not somebody at that site 24/7 and that's noted on the welcome letter everybody receives when they arrive. And I had to go over to one of the other properties as per marked on today's schedule. No big deal - we're all splitting our time between these two properties. So, I'm getting all settled into what needs to be done at the other property, and the phone rings. It's Them.

Now, they're complaining about the TV not working. I explain to them how to get it to work. All is good for an hour or so. Then they call back to say that every channel they try says it's not a part of their cable package...our properties are supposed to have a good cable package, so I've got no clue what's going on. And now they're also complaining about how hot the room is - okay, check the a/c unit...they claim their isn't one.

I offer to switch them to a larger room at no additional cost at the property I am now at, and let them know about the room amenities, and that I know for sure that all of the rooms at this property have a/c units (it's the main property I work at as today was the first time I've worked at the other property).

This is when they tell me that they had only wanted the room for a few hours of fun...well, this told me a lot right there. Especially when I heard the other half of the couple say "You weren't supposed to say that! You won't get a refund now!" And then suddenly they apparently had a boat to catch 'in an hour'...as if this would somehow make any difference. Housekeeping still has to clean up the room when they come in tomorrow, and it's not like we offer hourly rates.

Well, that person wasn't wrong - if it weren't for that slip up, I would have issued a refund right away as they didn't want to switch to a bigger, better room at the property that was only a 3 minute drive away from the one they were at. As it is, I put notes all over the reservation about what was said, and let the property manager of that site know what happened, and left it up to her about whether or not to issue a refund or offer them a room no-charge later on down the line.

I wonder if they've tried this same scheme in the past and managed to get that refund. I would have checked their history if we hadn't recently changed our reservation program and lost the folio notes we kept on previous guests...time to start keeping them in a separate format so we won't lose them again, I guess. But who in their right mind would book a $200+ a night room for a quick roll in the hay? Only people who expect to find a reason to get a refund, I suppose. Ugh.

If you're expecting to get all your money back, why not go for the most expensive room? Perhaps not succeeding in the scam this time will teach them a valuable lesson... Nah!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Working...
    X