Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I may not get discounted goodies, but I do get some perks!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I may not get discounted goodies, but I do get some perks!

So with childcare, I don't get any major perks to my job aside from free training (that's run by the company) but the catch is that if we leave within 12 months of that training, we have to pay them back on it. (Which is understandable)

One small perk I've been getting lately is with the public transport. They're in the process of switching over from paper tickets to a smartcard with the fare cost varying based on distance (so if I travel say, 8km, I won't be paying as much as if I was travelling 20km). The main benefit for me is that once you make 8 fully paid trips with your card (that is, you tap once when you get on the mode of transport and tap once again when you get OFF the mode of transport*), you get the rest of your week for free. In theory, this is meant to mean that you get free travel for Friday-Sunday so if you're out and get piss drunk, you can get home cheaply. In practice, this has resulted in some creative ways of beating the system**.

I'm doing split shifts for the school holidays and this requires me to travel elsewhere by bus. Because I have to make 4 trips a day (costing me less than I thought too ), in theory, this means that I actually get free travel from Wednesday onwards. In practice, this wound up being Thursday-Sunday because my boss decided to screw with my roster.

*-To be more picky, for trains, ferries and I believe light rail, there are card readers at the STATIONS instead of on the ferry/train/tram, so you tap your card at the reader/gate instead of on the mode of transport itself.

**-Most of these methods involve running or walking between two train stations where the readers are not connected to a gate or light rail stations and tapping on and off at each. Another way is just to catch trackwork buses because they never charge fares on them!
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...
Working...
X