This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splish Splash - That was too close...

So I'm mostly just going to quote the notice I got with my paperwork this morning, since that's all the details I have currently. In short, we came a bit too close to comfort to losing one of our paper carriers.

Cast:
    C1: The hero in our tale, a fellow carrier I'm not particularly familiar with.
    C2: The victim, who is the sweetest old guy you'll ever meet. He helped give me a lift and finished my route after I got hit by a drunk driver on the route a while back and I am SOOOO glad he is doing well now because I'd be really really really upset if he wasn't!

A bit of background: the area this happened in had got hit by snow recently, and heavy rains have caused local rivers to be a bit floody as well.

Quoth our notice from this morning:

At approximately 7:00 Saturday morning, the [newspaper] dispatcher received an urgent call from [C2] stating that their car was being dragged into the water. [C1] rushed to the scene to discover [C2]'s car was partially off the road, in the water, and [C2] was still in the vehicle. [C1] waded into waist-deep frigid water to [C1]'s car, only to discover that the water had risen so high that [C1] could not open the door. [C2] was unable to move his legs due to hypothermia and did not have the strength to get out of the car. The car was trapped up against a sign on the driver's side with water pouring into the passenger compartment. [C2] was able to roll down the passenger window, which allowed [C1] to pull [C2] out and pack him an immense distance to safety. [State Higway Patrolman] assisted [C1] with [C2] the last 50 feet and expertly attended to [C2] until the ambulance arrived and transported [C2] to the hospital. [C2] was doing well when we checked on his condition but do to hypothermia, he was expected to stay overnight for observation.
    I don't think I've ever met C1 before (seen a lot of faces but don't have names for them all), but I'm so glad he was there to pull C2 out of there!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

That is scary! I'm glad C1 was there to help; it could've ended very badly for C2. I hope C2 gets well very soon, and C1 deserves some kind of commendation.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Dang. C1 is a real hero. Jumping into freezing water to save that man.

+42 faith-in-humanity

On a side note; I like the fact the Paper sent a notice letting all the couriers know what happened. That is a great way to stop rumors and give much deserved praise.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Don't know what C1 prefers to drink, but I'd offer to buy the first round/6-pack/bottle.

Like hopping in the water to drag some poor helpless guy out, "It's just what we do"

Comment

The website sometimes throws ads up over the article, though you can usually read through the ads, but here's the latest news: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014...=/99/100/&rh=1

He was looking for an address in the dark and ended up in the water.
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
            The website sometimes throws ads up over the article, though you can usually read through the ads, but here's the latest news: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014...=/99/100/&rh=1

He was looking for an address in the dark and ended up in the water.
            I knew we lived near each other, I didn't realize it was that close...
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Gary Spurling was an Army Medic? Why am I not surprised.

Army Medics are the best kind of crazy. If it means saving a life; they will charge in head-first through the gates of hell and have the intelligence, endurance, and sheer force of will to come back out alive with the other person.

Slightly off-topic:

My favorite Army Medic was WW2 hero Sgt. Desmond Doss.

He was only one of 2 people to receive the US Medal of Honor, without 'firing a shot in anger'. And the first person to receive the MoH as a Conscientious objector.

During the Battle of Okinawa, he crawled across an active battlefield to save marines. The marines say he saved over 100, Sgt. Doss said maybe 50, the Army split the difference and put 75 on the Medal of Honor citation.

That is the type of person who becomes an Army medic. Desmond is smiling down from heaven, because Gary Spurling is still carrying on the legacy of Army medics

Comment

Just a follow-up, I ran into C2 today at my drop site. He has a new car and is back at work and is doing well!

Comment

Excellent! I'm so happy your friend is better!
                  "People can be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid." from Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

Comment

That is an excellent recovery speed. Very good news.

Comment

Working...
                    X