This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merry Christmas to me

You won't believe what I did last Thursday.

After work I was grocery shopping, it was not my normal shopping day, but if you worked Thanksgiving day, you got a one-time only 25% off voucher. They were out of BBQ Pringles, but as I was heading up front, I remembered a display by the bakery and went over there to get some. As I was returning I saw it. one of those envelopes the bank gives you when you make a withdraw. You see them everywhere, people just throw them down and they never have anything in them. But this one? I could see a little green so I carefully picked it up and put it in my pocket. I checked out with thoughts of a bacon cheese burger in my head, but when I got to my car and opened the envelope......

$340

And no identification, the bank was from so far out of town I had to look up the town's name. It was from several counties away. I know better than to turn it in at the store. They just stick it in a drawer for 30 days and then add it to profits. I can't believe how careless some people are with their money. I remember a guy last year that had a wad of money tucked in the waistband of his sweat pants. Fell out in the parking lot on a windy day, last I saw both him and his money were going south.

And the thing that gets me, I was shopping on a day I don't normally shop and would never had gone to that spot if they weren't out of an item I wanted.

Fate, Karma or Santa?
    "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

I've found large amounts of cash with no way of finding
    The owner. I usually ask someone in the store or business if anyone has reported the loss
    A day or two after. If not, I use it to buy food or toys or clothes to donate. It makes me feel good.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

My favored charity is the Valley Children...

My kids think I should donate much more...

(look at the first half of my handle)
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

When I worked at the grocery store, we had a cart guy bring in a purse that was left behind in a carriage. Two of us inventoried the contents before it went into our safe, to find there was $1,500 in cash in the purse.

Called the lady who owned it (we found her info using her ID) and she came back in to get it. She was so grateful to get the cash back because she forgot her purse in a carriage at a different store 2 weeks before and lost $1,800 in cash, though she got the rest of the purse back.

Her story of the lost money pained me deeply, because at the time that was enough to cover my entire tuition at the local community college and this woman just...left it behind. In a parking lot. How does one do that? And then AGAIN 2 weeks later?

Comment

That's happened here a couple of times when someone withdraw all their Christmas shopping money and then accidentally left it in a cart, or dropped it.

If I had that much money on me, my purse would be glued so tight to my body that I'd need a crowbar to get it off!
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I had something similar happen to me, back in college. My friends and I had gone to her family's beach condo. We literally had just enough money for gas home, and the .50 toll on the one bridge. We stopped at some fast food restaurant to pee, and in the ladies, room, as I'm waiting to wash my hands, i see what looks like a couple dollar bills, folded up, on the edge of the sink. Hmm..mind you, i was only about 19 or 20, and a dirt poor student.

So I'm waiting to wash, and no one in front of me picks it up, so I casually place my wallet on top, wash my hands, pick it up, and go. LIke i said, I figured it was a few dollars, change from someone's meal, so I didn't feel too badly, and it couldn't have been anyone that came in behind me that left it.

We get back into the car, and it turns out to be somehting like 2 $20's, 2 $10's, a five and some singles. so about $65-75. I don't recall now exactly how much. which to us was a lot of money! I was kind of guilted into splitting it with my friends, but even so, i think i got about $30-40 of it. We then stopped and picked up some munchies!

NOw, I probably would have looked, and tried to find out who it belonged to, but then, it was like it was meant to be.

Comment

My sister once found a couple of dollars in a mall trash can. She went to toss an empty cup and there was two bucks just sitting on top of the trash.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                My sister once found a couple of dollars in a mall trash can. She went to toss an empty cup and there was two bucks just sitting on top of the trash.
                Sounds like life imitating art. Ever play the computer game "Airline Tycoon"? In some scenarios, when you visit the bank there's a bundle of cash in the trash can (appears only once in the scenario).
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Many moons ago when my dad's grocery store first installed self-checkouts, we found $80 in the change tray (they didn't yet have sensors that beeped if money was left). The really odd thing was, it didn't belong to the previous two customers (who paid exact amount with cash or card) and they didn't take it. Yes, my mom took it; IIRC it paid for a nice spread on the grill (and then some) that weekend.

When Virgin Records was still in business, I was braving the holiday crowds and snow to get a CD I wanted. Back outside on my way to the subway, I saw something in a store doorway against a planter (it was windy, looked like it had blown in there and gotten wedged in the corner). I figured that it was a few bucks and I'd get myself a coffee. Two $50 bills No way to find the owner, and I wasn't going to turn it in at a store as I knew they'd just keep it. I got change for one of the fifties and gave a local homeless regular (really nice guy, had some serious beatboxing skills) $20 and a hot chocolate.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I would have called the bank and told them where you found the money and give them your info. They could have checked to see who had made a withdraw that day and gotten the person back their money or if they couldn't figure it out, it was yours. I went to a bank machine 2 months ago and I always stick my hand by the dispenser and lo and behold, there were 2 20's there. I pulled them out, my money popped out, and I walked into the bank and handed the money over. I have a huge personal ethics issue with keeping money I have found (even asked around the neighborhood when I found a 10 on the street). The bank thanked me, and then (it was my bank) someone called me from their fraud protection, asked a few questions, but had figured out it was a machine malfunction that had spit out someone's money twice but the second one was stuck.

Comment

Well the reverse story from me - and a perspective. Two months ago I went shopping for groceries and asked for $60 cash back. With the whole cash back system, direct deposit and the ability to deposit checks on a phone app I have not visited the credit union in a year.

In a hurry to get out of the way of the others in line I just jammed the cash in my pants pocket and left. Only once I got home did I go looking for the money and discovered it missing. Clearly I had dropped it back in the store or in the parking lot.

My feelings? Stupid me. I made the error and lost the money. I hope whoever found it became enriched in more than just cash. I cannot be upset that someone now possesses the money that was once mine.
                      "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

And Tuesday my Jeep needed almost $200 in repairs.

Oh well, easy come easy go.
                        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Working...
                        X