This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help regarding work issue

My husband and I work as porters for the same employer at the same area of parking garages, but under two different garage managers. However, we both work the same shift, and we report to the same porter supervisor. Recently that area of parking garages was audited by employes who work at our employers national office. The day to day operations as well as the parking garages were audited. The area of parking garages we work at has been short-staffed for a while. The contract with the management company that owns all of the parking garages is up for renewal. The employees at the national office, the management company, and the 3 managers *including the Senior Manager who is over everyone*all want the parking garages spotless. If the parking garages are not spotless, the Senior Manager complains to the garage manager(s), who complain to the porter supervisor(s), who then complain to the porter(s) working at that particular garage.

One Friday 12/19 our porter supervisor had a meeting with his staff... me, my husband, and another employee. Two other employees were out on vacation. He mentioned to us that the national office employees were not happy with how the parking garages look, and if needed, some employees may be fired in 2015. I was not feeling that happy about that approach when I got home, and so I typed up a note, addressed directly to him, explaining how that approach affected me. Since I had to work at a different location not near that area of garages the following week, I sealed the note in an envelope, and asked my husband to give it to him on Monday 12/22. I did not tell my husband what was mentioned in the note.

Today my husband told me that he was called into a meeting with his manager and my manager regarding that particular note as well as other problems regarding him. Turns out that the porter supervisor gave my manager the note, and according to what my husband told me, he assumed that the two of us discussed what was mentioned in the meeting regarding employees possibly being fired and what we wanted to include in the note.

I am supposed to have a meeting with my manager this Friday. How should I approach my manager and the porter supervisor if both of them are in the meeting?

Is there any way you can get a neutral party in the room with you? Because otherwise they are going to squeeze you between the two of them.

Do you have an HR department? I'd call them before any meeting and have them mediate.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
      Is there any way you can get a neutral party in the room with you? Because otherwise they are going to squeeze you between the two of them.

Do you have an HR department? I'd call them before any meeting and have them mediate.
      The only person I can think of is a friend of my husband, who works there part-time. He does not work under either porter supervisor or manager.

What do you mean by being squeezed between the two of them?

HR is in a different state.

Comment

Ganging up on you.
        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I don't know what was in the note or the tone it conveyed, however I would be careful from now on, especially when interacting with management. What do I mean by careful? In the meeting, you should try your best to stay calm, be courteous and respectful, and keep your conversations about your job, not about your feelings. Also, try not to sound defensive.

All of that is easier said than done, and of course you are entitled to your feelings, but that isn't what your company wants to hear. They are a business and they care about keeping their contract, not about the stress of your job or your feelings. (Sorry that sounds so harsh).

Again, all this depends on what was contained in the note and the type of people your managers are, but I would probably apologize for the note and then explain that I want the company to be successful and that I want to do well in my job. I'd let them know I'm open to any feedback they have to help me improve the level of cleanliness, while I'm multitasking my many other responsibilities and taking care of customers. This is a better approach than, say, telling them you just can't do it and they're being unreasonable (even if it's true). It also opens up the option for them to HELP you, even if it's just (hopefully) constructive criticism.

Also, please tell them that you wrote the note and your hubby didn't know what it contained. Unfortunately, he was in the difficult position of delivering bad news.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

On Friday January the 10th, our porter supervisor had a meeting with us after we clocked in at 6 a.m. One thing he let us know is that the garage manager *the one I mentioned in my original post* called him to let him know that he was not coming into work that day. According to our porter supervisor, he had several meetings to attend that day.

Comment

Our porter supervisor told us that the higher ups who work in the national and corporate office are looking to fire employees.

Several executives will be evaluating us for several weeks. This began last week.

We all will be evaluated to determine if we keep our jobs, if we get fired, or if we get a raise.

We will not know when we will be evaluated. The executives may park in the garage you are responsible for cleaning, and watch you work. The executives may sit outside across the street from the garage you are responsible for cleaning, and watch you work.

Our porter supervisor mentioned that he was speaking to two of his employees last week. His company jacket is red. Our company jacket is black. His immediate supervisor received a phone call from one of the executives asking "why is the guy in the red jacket talking to those to employees who are wearing black jackets?" Our porter supervisor had to tell that particular person that he is their supervisor.

Then one of the employees he is over told us that our employer wants to fire everyone, and replace us with whomever they want.

I just do not know what to believe or what to think.
              Last edited by snugglegirl05; 01-05-2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Whatever you think, dusting off your resume and looking around is a good idea.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I with Tama on this. You may have shot yourself in the foot with that letter and could be the first one they let go. For them to react as quickly as they did is usually never a good sign - I have a very strong feeling that you may find yourself out of a job and unable to use them as a good reference.

Comment

Working...
                  X