This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He actually made ME cry!!

So previous work history was with an alarm company's customer service and monitoring response. Getting yelled at was a daily thing and it was water off a ducks back for me. Every now and then I would have a creative angry person but it never made me

I currently work as an Accounts Payable clerk for technically 4 companies...its complicated

So the main company at work is a government construction company we are currently working our way into bids on State but in the past we were mainly engineering and construction on Federal level construction. So at places like Portsmouth OH nuclear plant or in Oak Ridge TN with Y12 and ORNL. Every vendor and rep I have worked with has always been sweet as pie. Usually they are confused or frustrated because we may be behind on a bill but not one person has ever yelled at me.

That changed today unfortunately. The second main company at work is a staffing company for some local manufacturing. My boss is the CFO and the other two people in accounting are the payroll clerk and our controller so we are a pretty tight knit group. So my boss called me to his office Monday to give me a side project. We have an invoice that we sent to a client in 2012 that hasn't been paid yet. Boss told me that if I could get any money I could have half otherwise he was just gonna write off the debt since its so old.

I was busy with a few projects Tuesday but I did get an email off to the man my boss had been talking to in December 2013 whom will now be known as D-Bag. I sent that around lunch but with the holiday I figured I might hear something but I should get at least a read receipt. When I came in to work this morning I had nothing so I pull up google and I start searching to see if I can find an office number for him. D-Bag works in LA and I am East Cost so I knew I would be calling at about 6 am their time. Now at my job I start between 830 and 9 but Boss and the CEO will usually start at about 5 am when the construction guys start coming in. I figure hey I'll go ahead and call and leave a message at his office and he can get back to me. I check every source I can think of and the number I keep getting as the official number is the one I call. I also email the name listed on the company page for being the nearest office contact to see if there is someone else I need to talk to. I go run errands for a bit and when I get back I check VM and yey he has called me back.

I return the call and as soon as I id myself he rips me a new ass hole up one side and down another. Now nothing my boss had said would give the impression that this man should be treated carefully or that he had a short fuse so I was blown away. I, for once, thanked God for the training I received from the call center because I was able to stay on the line and try to get some information from him. He is claiming that my 6 am call not only did not go to his office but to his ill or dieing wife's phone which was either beside the bed or in the kitchen. He kept repeating how dare I and that he was going to "email 100's of thousands of vendors and tell them to never use us" I try to calm him down and he hangs up on me. A construction manager was in the room I was in talking to our payroll clerk and both of them have just gone quit when PC asks "What just happened".

I sit and shake for a minute and then water just pours off my face. Its not crying cause I am not a quite crier nor am I a pretty crier...I am a hyperventilate and coughing crier. This was just two rivers running from my eyes. I wipe my face and go explain to PC what just happened because he was loud enough they heard what he was saying. She sits diagonally from me about 10-20 ft away so that is rather impressive. She tells me sorry and our Controller has come out of his office to see what is up. Boss was in a meeting so he found out before we left for a working lunch what D-bag did.

I pulled myself together but driving home just now he started to niggle at me that me made me . My boss is an interesting man honestly. He is either the oldest or one of the oldest of 5 kids whose dad is a Preacher. Boss is reserved but social so he is very approachable but you don't see him lose calm easily. His youngest brother also works as a recruiter for the staffing company and both of them, when they are excited or angry, will clasp their hands and bounce them on the table. When I came back from helping another manager with a printer issue Boss was standing by the big work table in front of my desk and just smiles and bounces his hands and says "so I hear you had an interesting call earlier" He was "bothered" the whole way to lunch but lunch was productive and we all got our calm back. Now I am going to try to leave this alone but I would like anyone's thoughts on whether I should bug the crap out the little man with a little power or if I should just leave it in Bosses hands as to what to do next. If I go the bug route I will be getting permission first from Boss.

I love my job...I get to order grown men around and point them at Boss and Controller when they complain

Hard choice.

I am very passive-aggressive. I would leave it to the Bosses, and get a tub of popcorn. This is also the safer course since they have more authority and say-so decision making abilities.

But there is a certain satisfaction in doing the job yourself. If you have legal permission, I would also record the calls to use against D-Bag (as I am certain D-bag does not want to get a bad reputation in his industry for 'not paying their bills').
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I'd go after him myself. Now you know you can say "excuse me, this is the number you provided us to contact you - not our fault if it goes to a relatives phone or that relatives current health!"
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

actually I very much doubt his wife is ill/dying or that it was her phone number. He was trying to ensure you don't bother him again about the money he owes.

Comment

Right, and now you're warned about the sort of behavior to expect from the d-bag debtor. If you feel that you can cope with it and decide you want to (because who isn't tempted by a small spot of revenge on people like that, right?) ask your boss for formal permission to go after DBD with all guns blazing. So to speak. Find out what you can legally do (phone calls, registered mail, publishing of debts? and doubtless other possibilities I'm not aware of), then do it with all the force you can bring to bear. He'll crack. Probably long before you do.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Oh, I have heard them all and I don't believe a word of it being someone elses phone or their condition... but being able to face that objection off? first step to kicking this guy where it hurts for being such an ass.
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I'd say go to your boss and advise him to send the debt off to collections, but we wouldn't want the D-bag to abuse the poor debt collectors, now, do we?

But seriously, for your own health, and for D-bag's, let your boss handle this one.
              Last edited by cindybubbles; 01-01-2015, 07:39 PM.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                I'd say go to your boss and advise him to send the debt off to collections, but we wouldn't want the D-bag to abuse the poor debt collectors, now, do we?

But seriously, for your own health, and for D-bag's, let your boss handle this one.
                They can handle it. They've heard it all. And some companies are damn good at this. My guess is, one letter from a debt collector and/or an attorney will get Mr. Lying Deadbeat's wallet loosened right up.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  They can handle it. They've heard it all. And some companies are damn good at this. My guess is, one letter from a debt collector and/or an attorney will get Mr. Lying Deadbeat's wallet loosened right up.
                  MoonCat and cindybubbles do have excellent points. I suppose there's always the vicarious entertainment of knowing that he seems to deserve having debt collectors sicced on him.
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth evilfarmer View Post
                    I check every source I can think of and the number I keep getting as the official number is the one I call.
                    Assuming you've found a good email address for him, you should provide him with the list of those sources so that he can get them changed and stop having official calls go to that number.

Comment

Working...
                    X