Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, as one of the resident Jews on this site(if only by descent, if not by religion), I have to strongly (and politely) disagree. "Krispy Kraut" doesn't make me think of concentration camps run by Nazis, but of awesome German cuisine served up by big German ladies wielding tankards of good German beer.

It's been 75 years since the end of WWII. I have serious trouble believing that Jews at this point in time are going to associate the word "kraut"--which is used either as a shortened word for pickled cabbage or as a derogatory word for Germans--with the atrocities committed by the Nazis in concentration camps. And honestly, any Jew that is going to do that is probably going to have an issue with ANY foods with German words in them.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
      ...someone was offended by the name.

... Force the company to change its brand?....probably).
      We have our own crazy people here in Oz. This lunatic, aside from trying to get a football stand renamed, has been attacking a brand of cheese.

Get a load of this! I keep buying this brand (because it's tasty) but mainly because the longer they sell it here the crazier the madman gets.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I have never seen this brand, so it seems like I am missing out. Damn it!
        Don't know if it has to be, but here it's in the refrigerated section. (In a resealable plastic bag.)

Quoth Jester View Post
        love the kraut, but I don't drink the juice.... I can, however, see those working well for various cooking applications.
        Fairly likely that's its main purpose. I usually see it in the canned veggie/tomato sauce aisles.

Quoth gerund View Post
        We have our own crazy people here in Oz. [Stephen_Hagan].... trying to get a football stand renamed, ...has been attacking a brand of cheese. [Coon cheese]
        I totally agree with him on the rugby stadium issue. Not just because of the word itself, but because it was a nickname; the E.S. Brown Stand would certainly serve the same purpose without diluting the name recognition.

The cheese issue IS exactly like the sauerkraut fiasco of OP though. The guy needs to pick his battles more carefully or he waters down the serious issues.

On a related note, sports teams here in the U.S. have done some growing up in the last thirty years. Although I disagree with renaming high school teams with Native American nation names that have the endorsement of those active, living nations, it does seem rather backward for our nation's capitol to have a high profile team that is a generic racial slur.

(Hey mods - I'm going for an OT "Some words are, some words aren't, derogatory" here, but if too fratchy, no offense taken if you edit. Love ya's!)

Comment

Quoth gerund View Post
          We have our own crazy people here in Oz. This lunatic, aside from trying to get a football stand renamed, has been attacking a brand of cheese.

Get a load of this! I keep buying this brand (because it's tasty) but mainly because the longer they sell it here the crazier the madman gets.
          Wait....what? *blink blink*
          OK, that is funny. People get worked up over the stupidest shit. (The oval name I can understand, but Coon brand cheese? -.-)

Also, my only question regarding the "Long Dicks" place....

Can you put the sausages on pizza?

Don't forget the white sauce....
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

On behalf of Italians (which I'm not), I am offended over this product:

"... ... ... ... ..."

What's that? You're Italian and you don't find it offensive? Shut up! I'm offended on your behalf! OFFENDEDOFFENDEDOFFENDEDOFFENDEDOFFENDED!

Comment

Quoth Cat Herder View Post
              On behalf of Italians (which I'm not), I am offended over this product:
              ...OFFENDEDOFFENDEDOFFENDEDOFFENDEDOFFENDED!
              I've got one better to be offended over ^_^

We have a type of salad here -- served almost exclusively in Italian restaurants -- that has the name of "[second word in that graphic] Salad". The name theoretically came about completely independent of the insult.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What? This SC had nothing to say about Ben & Jerry's?

Comment

Um correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Italian insult "Wogs" not "Wops"
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

WOG is supposedly derived from "Westernized Oriental Gentleman". An empirical term applied to people from the Middle East and India etc..
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                      Oh my I hope she doesn't wander downtown here and see one of the vendors. Long Dick's Sausage Emporium. Yep, that shiz is for real. Big joke when they opened was that the guys at work would go around asking us girls (who wouldn't be offended by such a joke) if we'd had our long dicks yet, lol.
                      Heh

In Seattle there is a fast food chain called Dick's. It's common to talk about getting a greasy bag of Dicks :P

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                        I totally agree with him on the rugby stadium issue. [snippage]

The cheese issue IS exactly like the sauerkraut fiasco of OP though.
                        I'm of the same mind, really, for much the same reason.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          We have a type of salad here -- served almost exclusively in Italian restaurants -- that has the name of "[second word in that graphic] Salad". The name theoretically came about completely independent of the insult.
                          Well, supposedly, the term is kind of an English bastardization of the word "guapo," so it's not at all unreasonable to believe that it was reached independently by different groups.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                            Heh

In Seattle there is a fast food chain called Dick's. It's common to talk about getting a greasy bag of Dicks :P
                            Picture if you will: A car full of students on the way to Seattle - the girls in the front are discussing and comparing the Dick's in Seattle vs. the Dick's in Spokane (smaller, greasier, slow as molasses vs. bigger, cleaner and fast) only to look in the rearview mirror to see the horrified looks on the men in the backseat who weren't from WA and had no idea that we were discussing a restaurant.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                              it does seem rather backward for our nation's capitol to have a high profile team that is a generic racial slur.
                              But I thought peanuts didn't have the ability to know that an offensive term was used in referring to them.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                                ... it does seem rather backward for our nation's capitol to have a high profile team that is a generic racial slur.
                                But if that team changed their name, we could no longer call them "the Deadskins" when they perform poorly.

They could just change to their popular nickname, "the Skins," but where would they find a team named "the Shirts" to play?
                                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                                X