Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How low can you get?! (Answer, quite low.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low can you get?! (Answer, quite low.)

I think I've hit the goldmine of entitled catbutters.

My new employment is at a Salvation Army and the appreciated folks are outnumbered by the scheming, lying, cheap buggers 3000 to 1. Easily.

Now, as you may or may not know, Salvation Army deals in donated clothing. Whatever we get, however we get it, that's how it is and that's all we have. Since I'm currently a sorter, I do my best to keep smelly, overly stained, and overly damaged clothes from reaching the floor, but they slip through sometimes. Extremely nice clothes I tend to put "on display". Also, each item has a VERY BRIGHT, nearly neon, colored price tag. The rule is missing tag = no sale. The colors vary (pink, blue, yellow, white, green), and each week another color goes on 'sale', half off.

My changing rooms are not your bathroom!
    I had some time between the next truck of clothes to come up, so I went to clean up the floor a bit. People treat our floor horridly. I understand we don't have much of a size order in many sections, but it's not hard to return a yellow teeshirt to the yellow teeshirt section, is it? (I guess so) Instead of returning items after trying them on, most people simply leave them in the changing room. I scuttled into one to retrieve the stacks of clothes hiding in there and clean them up a bit. I open the door to the first one and recognize that smell from my daycare years. Someone had decided to pee all over the floor and 10-15 articles of clothing!

We even have a very clean public bathroom... Sigh.

Spontaneous Language Disorder
    Kid's clothes are mainly .99. Exceptions are jackets, suits, dresses, and communion gowns, which they are priced as ticketed. This is clearly posted in English and Spanish in the children's section. A woman comes up with a good 30-40 articles of children's clothing. She's laughing with the cashier about how her kids grow too fast for her to keep up, in perfect English. The cashier lifts a very nice communion gown up from the pile and informs her that most are .99, but the dress is an exception, and will be about $20. She instantly swaps into Spanish, and the cashier instantly points to the huge sign that states communion dresses are priced as ticketed, English and Spanish. The woman quickly changes her tune to, what sounded like Polish to me but I could have been mistaken, and broken English, demanding the dress for .99. Cashier keeps firm, no, the dress is $20 (may I add, brand new, with a $300 retail price tag still attached?). Eventually, the woman leaves, leaving all her clothes behind as well.

Scamming Reseller
    A woman comes up to check out with a pile of nicer clothes, generally more pricy for Salvation Army ($15-$30, depending), but she also has picked out things that would generally retail for $50+. She claims she tried on these clothes, but the tags kept falling off. She put the tags in the pockets.

Now, the cashier knew this was a lie because for the last hour, the changing rooms were closed because some idiot (me) was busy cleaning the piss off the floor, and she came in well after I had started.

The tags were also all very low priced, and in the half off color for that day. Cashier denies her sale of everything, explaining that without an attached tag, an article of clothing cannot be sold.

The woman launches into a fury. She screams at the cashier about how lazy she is and how she'll never be as successful as her because she buys up all the cheap clothes from Salvation Army and resells them all. She has a house and an expensive car and knows powerful people and will get her fired if she doesn't sell her these clothes at the price on the tag, half off, of course. Coworker stands her ground through all this, and I'm just leaving the changing rooms with a mop and bucket. The woman's friend? dashes past me and joins in verbally abusing my coworker, when I hear her say "Don't make me slap you and learn you some manners."

Thankfully some of the more... burly... coworkers appeared, and helped these woman outside.

WHYWOULDYOUDOTHAT
    While sorting, I pull a gorgeous wedding dress up. It's absolutely stunning and in beautiful condition, so I go out and make a spot for it to be put on display, which is a wall in my sight of the sorting room. It's at a pretty high price, but it's a damn-near-perfect wedding dress for $150!!!!

I see a woman later on that day playing with the fabric and checking out things like the zippers and whatnot. She then looks around, I guess doesn't see me, and throws her coffee on it, creating a large stain down the front. I rip the dress off it's hanger as soon as she walks away and dump my entire water bottle on the stain, trying to find my bag and my daycare-holdover tide pen.

Coworker comes into the back watching me frantically try to scrub the stain out, saying a customer wanted to buy the dress, but saw it had a huge stain and wanted it discounted.

Maybe it was the look in my eyes that said FUCKNO, but she walked away quickly after I said there wasn't a stain on the dress three minutes ago.
    You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

I wouldn't have even waited for the wedding dress woman to walk away; I would have lowered the banhammer right then and there. I believe it would have been a bantomahawk (and possibly criminal charges) after she asked for a discount.

Comment

Damn those people suck.

Comment

The wedding dress wreacker? That's called VANDALISM, and is a crime in most places. She should have had the police called on her ass. That is so effing WRONG!
        I am constantly amazed at how people will cheat, or try to, on such heavily discounted items. I'll bet the majority of the customers aren't even poor folks just trying to stretch a buck.
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Who wants to bet against her trying to return the dress for the "list" price when she couldn't get the coffee stain out?

<crickets>
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
            I'll bet the majority of the customers aren't even poor folks just trying to stretch a buck.
            That's how it sounds to me. Not entirely unusual as the Goodwill store in my neck of the woods is in one of the pricier south 'burbs.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth BuggedMei View Post
              I scuttled into one to retrieve the stacks of clothes hiding in there and clean them up a bit. I open the door to the first one and recognize that smell from my daycare years. Someone had decided to pee all over the floor and 10-15 articles of clothing!

We even have a very clean public bathroom... Sigh.
              This probably wouldn't explain what you encountered, but I've heard of teenage girls shopping for a prom dress, picking one out, then taking ALL OTHERS of that dress into the fitting room and pissing on them. Why? So that nobody else would buy one and show up at HER prom in the SAME DRESS.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                This probably wouldn't explain what you encountered, but I've heard of teenage girls shopping for a prom dress, picking one out, then taking ALL OTHERS of that dress into the fitting room and pissing on them. Why? So that nobody else would buy one and show up at HER prom in the SAME DRESS.
                DISGUSTING

Comment

I'm planning my wedding, so I do look at the beautiful dresses at thrift stores. Why would anyone stain a dress and then want to buy it? I'm so confused about that.

A couple of years ago, I was looking for lamps and found a wonderful one. It had a nice clean shade and the colors on the base were just what I wanted. The price was $4.00. It was just what I wanted and I knew that if I had bought it new, it would have been VERY pricey.

I asked the guy if I could plug the lamp in to see if it worked. NOT because I wanted to complain about the price, but because I wanted to know if I needed to stop at the hardware place to get new guts.

He plugged the lamp in and it didn't work. He then offered to mark it down a dollar, but I asked if he could try a new bulb to see if it worked. He did, and the lamp didn't work. So he marked it down another dollar.

When I checked out, I insisted on paying the full price and the cashier gave me a wide eyed look of amazement.

It wasn't until I started reading this forum that I understood why those poor people expected me to go into a rage.

I was happy. I got a lamp that I love for 14 bucks. 4 for the lamp and 10 for new guts.

I'm still all gobsmacked about people who steal from thrift stores.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Quoth Aethian View Post
                    DISGUSTING
                    No kidding. This is why I'm so glad that most of the dress stores around my fair state keep a "dress register" so that you don't run the risk of "OMG SHE'S WEARING MY DRESS!"
                    I wound up wearing a halter-neck dress that was black from bust up, but from bust down was a gorgeous pattern. And it only cost me $20. (and it was also at a clothing store, not a formal dress store. My dress could be worn again. Whereas most of their formal dresses would've been sold. My sister's formal dress is also one she can wear again)

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                    I'm planning my wedding, so I do look at the beautiful dresses at thrift stores. Why would anyone stain a dress and then want to buy it? I'm so confused about that.
                    Because chances are that they know how to get the stain out themselves or similar and hope that by staining the dress, the people will mark it down further so they can get rid of it. Either that, or they're willing to pay more for it to be dry cleaned. (both of which would most likely work out to be cheaper than a wedding dress)

Good call on removing the crazy lady with the wedding dress though.
                    Last edited by fireheart; 10-04-2012, 12:25 PM.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
                      The wedding dress wreacker? That's called VANDALISM, and is a crime in most places. She should have had the police called on her ass. That is so effing WRONG!
                      I am constantly amazed at how people will cheat, or try to, on such heavily discounted items. I'll bet the majority of the customers aren't even poor folks just trying to stretch a buck.
                      Our parking lot usually consists of 8-10 newish high end cars, people take hundreds of pictures with high end phones and price shop online to see if they can resell things. Pretty much anything with any value is bought or whisked away within hours. Then there are people who just downright stash things in purses and leave.

There are grateful ones, a mother and three boys. They were complaining about how they wanted to shop at a 'real' store, and that these clothes weren't 'real'. The mother turned and asked them if they rather have 'real' pants or dinner. They were real quiet after that.
                      You seem to harbor barbaric tendencies. I suggest you visit a physician at your earliest convenience.

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
                        This. Technically she could have been forced to pay the full price if it couldn't be cleaned.

and the price is really fucking good. one of my friends use to be in the business (with her mom i think) and has a couple hundred unworn designer dresses to unload. iirc she's also thinking of just 100 a pop. hell, i'd buy one at that price. i've glanced at the collection and it's pretty beautiful

Comment

Quoth Enjis View Post
                          Absolutely. Of course, since store policies against "wrongful arrest" keep everyone's hands tied, there's nothing they can do to stop her.

But who the heck would even want a dress with a coffee stain at any price?!! I wouldn't expect anyone to even get a stained dress for FREE and walk down the aisle with it.
                          Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                          Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                          Fiancee: What?!
                          Me: Nevermind.

Comment

We've had a person or two bring up this particular SC tactic before, but this is a brilliant name for it.

Comment

People like that are the reason I swear I am never holding another garage sale in my life. Last time, I had at least five of those f*ckers show up, all using different languages[1]
                              I don't *think* I'm a xenophobe. I think they were just cheap assholes.

[1] so it's not a specific culture thing. I think. Maybe. My data set has a couple of frontrunners, but I don't want to collect any more data
                              Last edited by vikingchyk; 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM. Reason: oops, forgot the footnote
                              Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
                              At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

Working...
                              X