Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not exactly sure about my dad's family. While my last name is Norwegian (and can easily be traced to two brothers, one of whom came to the US in 1850, I have no connection to that country. Why? Because the man I knew as "Grandpa" wasn't my dad's real father. We don't know if his real dad was killed during WWII (dad was born in '45) or disappeared. Everyone who would know, is dead now.

His mom, on the other hand, could trace her family back to the 1600s, in what would become Germany. Unfortunately, the village where that part of her family was from...was wiped out during WWI. While I have some names, most of the information was lost. The other side of her family was Irish. Well French (Norman) if you go back far enough. They came to England during the Conquest and assisted during the Norman invasion of Ireland. They were richly rewarded by the English crown (including castles and titles), but lost everything later. By then they were judged as being "too Irish" and on the opposite side. It wasn't until the famines that they left County Cork, and arrived in Canada. They were passing through, but at least one of my ancestors was hatched on the boat, and received Canadian citizenship.

My mom's side is very much a mystery. A common German name means that trying to untangle the family tree is difficult. Irish roots on that side as well, along with English and Welsh. Again, a very common name (Morris) which is difficult to trace. Even so, it would be interesting to see if it somehow tied into William Morris (aka Lord Nuffield) of Morris Motors/MG fame. I really doubt that, but wouldn't it explain quite a few things?
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My Mom used to say we were Heinz57. I am 1/4 German. My Mom's father & his parents came to the States from Germany in the late 1890's.
      "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        Ha ha, I am Black but I was born and raised at first in England.

I consider myself as Canadian/English since I now have a Canadian citizenship.

However, probably because I spent time in Jamaica, rude people have said "Go back to where you came from.", only to have me reply, "Why would I want to return to London, England? It is so crowded there!".

Their faces as they start to pay attention to my English pronunciation is funny to watch.
        I've been told to "go back where I came from". Which is amusing to me because they're right in that I'm not from Albuquerque. I am from Las Cruces, 232 miles south of ABQ and also in New Mexico. Seems some have a hard time grasping the concept of an Anglo native New Mexican. Until I open my mouth and the typical southern New Mexican accent comes out.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Another Heinz57 here. I never traced my full ancestry, so I don't know what else might be in my family tree, but I do know for a fact that I've got English, French, Scottish, and Native American in me.

The Native is obvious in my brother (he's got a perma-tan going on), but not in me (I'm whiter than Casper).

Another thing which I know of, and that I find hilarious, is that there are people with the last name Monster in my family tree. I can literally say that I'm descended from Monsters.

(Thank you, Aunt Ollie, for telling me that! )
          my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
          it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
            ... I'm descended from Monsters....
            I'm descended from Woolfs... and Love Moore.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Most people here can pick up that I'm not from New Jersey, but they have a very hard time pinning down my accent. Well, yes, I'm an Army Brat. It's diluted generic Midwestern, with a hint of north-central Alabama drawl that gets more pronounced when I'm sleepy, sped up to a New Jersey speaking pace.

But, if you want to get technical about it, I was born in West Germany. It's a lot of fun to drop that tidbit when someone's ranting about immigrants going back where they came from. (I usually leave out the "natural-born US citizen born abroad" part.) I got one guy to turn a lovely shade of glowing red as he tried to figure out how to exempt me from his rant without being blatantly racist.
              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Miss Maple Leaf View Post
                Another Heinz57 here. I never traced my full ancestry, so I don't know what else might be in my family tree, but I do know for a fact that I've got English, French, Scottish, and Native American in me.

The Native is obvious in my brother (he's got a perma-tan going on), but not in me (I'm whiter than Casper).

Another thing which I know of, and that I find hilarious, is that there are people with the last name Monster in my family tree. I can literally say that I'm descended from Monsters.

(Thank you, Aunt Ollie, for telling me that! )
                Yes,you definitely look like a Monster to me.... and soon may we hear the thud of little Monsters running around?
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I'm German and English.

No wonder I like beer and sausages.

B
                  "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                  I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Well, for what is is worth, I'm (at least) 4th generation Yorkshire!

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
                      Well, for what is is worth, I'm (at least) 4th generation Yorkshire!
                      We can tell by t'whippet and t'flat cap....
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                        Let see.. I have more German and Native American than Scot/Irish, but I look like the poster child for a Scot/Irish lass. I have some Dutch, some Fin, English and other assorted mishmash of blood lines. I have even been mistake for Asian, given my face shape in profile, but with the palest white/freckled skin and red hair! I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of apologizing for invading myself...

Unfortunately, government forms don't have MUTT as a race, but I sorely need it, because I'm too lazy to tick off all those little check boxes.
                        So basically you're white and Native American. That should mean you'd either check off two boxes, or one (if you choose the "other" category). Or are you in a country where the forms are different? I'm just curious.
                        "Some people are dumb." - Butthead

Comment

Irish, English, German, Spanish, Dutch, and Cherokee.

Confused . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X