This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could We Not?

Something about the Candy Counter really brings out the worst in people.

I'm weighing out some candies that are kinda heavy. So they're like .03lbs. So it's a little hard to get EXACTLY .50lbs. So when I put it all on and it comes to .51 and take one off and it's .48 and I say, "Over or under?" the correct response is one of those two options. Not for this SC.

Me: Over or under?
    SC: Why can't you get it exactly half?
    Me: *a tad sassy* Do you want me to cut one in half?
    SC: *sheepishly* Uh...no...over is fine.

No.

SC: I want a sample of this one.
    Me: We don't give out samples.
    SC: Well how am I supposed to know what it tastes like?
    Me: It's chocolate with peanut butter inside. It tastes like chocolate with peanut butter inside.
    SC: Hmpf.

Please, for the love of God, don't do this on a Saturday.

Oblivious Mom: Can my son get a little bit of a few things in one bag?
    Me: Absolutely.
    OM: Okay sweetie, tell her what you want.
    Oblivious Child: Um...uh...uhhhhh... Ummmm...
    Me: ...........
    *line begins to form*
    OC: Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    OM: Maybe Swedish Fish?
    OC: No...no...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... *points at gold coins*
    OM: No. Those are too expensive.
    OC: But I want them.
    OM: No.
    *line gets bigger*
    OC: Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh
    *line gets even bigger*
    Me:
    OC: ..................................*points at Swedish Fish*

You Thought Kids were Bad?

SC: Could you ring this all up? I haven't decided on a few things.
    Me: *rings up whole purchase*
    SC: Okay now take this off. Okay now this. Okay now this. Okay now this. Okay now this. Etc. Etc. Etc.

And if you thought they were things from my department, you live in a wonderland.

The Stuff of Legend

We had a group that was so horrific the other day that a woman who works at a store down the street came in to buy a soda out of the machine at the back of our store (we have sodas for cheap cheap cheap from a vending machine) told me that a customer came into her store and told her about them in gruesome detail. She told me she couldn't imagine having had to wait on them.

"What did I buy?!"

Things are priced. They're either priced on the box or they have a price tag on the shelf. There are rare instances where they are missing a price. But you should have a general idea of how much your purchase is before I ring it in and you pretty much SCREAM, "WHAT DID I BUY?!" I will explain to you what the highest retail price is on the screen and what the particular item was. Usually this boils down to this conversation:

SC: WHAT DID I BUY?!
    Me: Shopkins.
    SC: OH NO WE'RE NOT GETTING THOSE.
    Child: *huge sudden tantrum, complete with shrieking and convulsions*
    Me:

Vague Shit Customers Say:

"I'm looking for this candy. It's square and there was licorice in the middle."

"It's gum. I saw it here before."

"I'm looking for this thing I saw here a year ago. It's like a toy. It's got a magnet."

"Those balls. They hit each other."

"It's candy and it rolls. It like...rolls out. And it's caramel."

"They sell it in Canada."

"It's a candy bar. It's got filling."

"Do you sell hardware?"

"I need this baby thing. It's a...it's for babies."

"It's a game. It's got these cards and they've got numbers and you put them in order."

Quoth Gaki View Post
    Non-gross Smarties?
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

The Stuff of Legend

We had a group that was so horrific the other day that a woman who works at a store down the street came in to buy a soda out of the machine at the back of our store (we have sodas for cheap cheap cheap from a vending machine) told me that a customer came into her store and told her about them in gruesome detail. She told me she couldn't imagine having had to wait on them.
      That's when you know it's bad.

"Do you sell hardware?"

"I need this baby thing. It's a...it's for babies."
      It's a candy store.....
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
        The Stuff of Legend

Don't keep us in suspense! Tell us about that group!
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
          Non-gross Smarties?
          Among a lot of other stuff!

I just back from a trip to Canada not long ago and I HATE that there is so much good stuff up there that I CAN'T get down here. There's a World Market store about 45 minutes away that carries Coffee Crisp, Aero and Oh! Henry and I actually did find a little candy shop in New Orleans that has the Canadian style smarties (in this case actually a British import but same candy).

Needless to say, whenever I do get the chance to go back, I LOAD UP. My wife and I brought back a whole carryon bag full of goodies.
          "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Oh! Henry bars? I thought they were available down here?

... Maybe they used to be and no longer are ... Hmm, one of the dangers of getting old...
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              Non-gross Smarties?
              you mean M&Ms?
              Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
              Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post

"Those balls. They hit each other."

Thank you. I'll be here all night.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Thanks to some skyscraper inspired Cosplay, I've befriended the management staff at a pretty damn large NYC skyscraper. Not one of the supertalls, but one of the biggest in the city in terms of floorspace. On my most recent visit, I brought some Canadian chocolate- coffee crisps and smarties. One night in the lobby I buttered up two of the security guards and one building engineer with coffee crisps. The next day I was back, and handed the building manager two packages- one containing ten mini coffee crisps, the other containing smarties. She thought that was very sweet of me
                  So on my next visit, I'll bring more! And some Crispy Crunch too, let's get the whole damn building staff all sugared up!

Comment

Quoth Gaki View Post
                    I'm weighing out some candies that are kinda heavy. So they're like .03lbs. So it's a little hard to get EXACTLY .50lbs. So when I put it all on and it comes to .51 and take one off and it's .48 and I say, "Over or under?" the correct response is one of those two options. Not for this SC.

Me: Over or under?
                    SC: Why can't you get it exactly half?
                    Me: *a tad sassy* Do you want me to cut one in half?
                    SC: *sheepishly* Uh...no...over is fine.
                    I'm surprised she didn't say yes, cut one in half. Or "no, find one that weighs exactly right!" Or "why can't you just charge me for .5 even though it's .1 over?"

I get people all the time wanting me to give them a little extra fabric and not charge them for it. I feel like when something isn't pre-packaged people think it's not exact, and we can somehow fudge the amount. Um, no.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Molson? Moose meat? Poutine? Toques? Cheaper drugs? Gimme a hint here!!
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Wait, am I understanding this correctly? You don't have Coffee Crisp in the States?

I feel so bad for you. And now I want a Coffee Crisp. Goddamnit.

Comment

The only Canadian-ish thing I've had is some maple candy my grandpa brought back from one of his vacations. That vacation was actually to somewhere really close to the border and he crossed the border a couple times so I'm not entirely sure where he picked them up but they were in the shape of maple leaves and came in a little red and white box so I'm assuming they were Canadian.
                          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                            The only Canadian-ish thing I've had is some maple candy my grandpa brought back from one of his vacations. That vacation was actually to somewhere really close to the border and he crossed the border a couple times so I'm not entirely sure where he picked them up but they were in the shape of maple leaves and came in a little red and white box so I'm assuming they were Canadian.
                            could it be this

https://www.hiddenspringsmaple.com/s...-candies-fudge

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              Molson? Moose meat? Poutine? Toques? Cheaper drugs? Gimme a hint here!!
                              Pickled beaver tails and maple syrup by the 55 gallon drum (208 L)

I just realized which treat you were all talking about? When I first heard of Smarties in this post, I remembered a horrible attempt to compete with SweetTarts. Those imitators pretty much tasted like baking soda wrapped in a fruit-flavored crunchy candy shell.

Now I realize that you were all talking about this wonderful slightly malty chocolate core encased in a colorful crunchy candy shell. Holy mother of god I loved those things when I was growing up (in the USA)! I did not realize they were still made (Thanks Canada!). I have now found my new mission in life (obtaining AOT,K).
                              Last edited by EricKei; 08-31-2016, 03:20 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Working...
                              X