Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Childish racist customers make my head hurt (ranty)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childish racist customers make my head hurt (ranty)

It's the first Saturday of the month, which means the Store is packed to the gills, we've got all the checkstands open, and we can still barely keep up with the lines. The store manager has already gone home for the evening, so I, along with the other two shift supervisors on the clock at the time, am in charge of this 100,000 square-foot store with over a thousand people inside it at any given moment. (At least we're getting paid union wages.) I'm restocking a display on the floor when the customer service clerk calls on the radio for a lead to come up to the service counter, because there's a customer who wants to complain about another customer.

These kinds of calls are usually petty nonsense like "this guy cut in line ahead of me" or "she grabbed the last of something I wanted", stuff that we have no interest in adjudicating and which generally end up wasting our time. But one of the other leads is on break and the other is helping a vendor at the receiving dock, so I go up to talk to the customer.

The customer is a middle-aged Latino woman (this is important) who tells me that her and her also-Latino friend have been doing their shopping and that, about three or four times, the same guy has come up behind them, picked up the back wheels of his cart, and then slammed them on the floor startling them, and that he laughed about it and didn't apologize when she told them to be more respectful. That's... well, that's a new one on me. I ask her if she can describe him, but all she can really say is that he's tall and white and has a white woman with him. I apologize to her and tell her we'll keep an eye out, and she says that if she sees the man again she'll come back to the counter and point him out.

I don't have much hope that we'll be able to find this guy. There are hundreds of tall white guys in the store at any given moment. We have security cameras, but the LP office is busy and I can't ask them to stop what they're doing to try and track this guy down for me. I let the other leads know to keep an eye out and I go back to the display I'm working on.

Not 30 seconds after I get back to my display I hear the sound of a cart being slammed around near me. I stop and look around and I see a tall white guy, with a white woman with him. He's wearing a baseball hat affiliated with a certain candidate for federal office (I'm not going to name names to keep this out of fratching territory, but I think you know who I mean.) I watch him while I keep doing my job. I don't make eye contact with him, but I'm clearly visible to him and he'd have to know I was there. As I watch, he comes up behind a Latino couple - and slams his cart on the ground again, and I see him crack a smile about it, even while his wife/girlfriend is giving him the stink-eye. I follow him around the corner and less than a minute later he does the same thing to another Latino couple. I am positively seeing red at this point, and I walk right up to him and tell him that I know what he's been doing, that several people have complained about it, that we're watching him, and if he does it one more time he'll be kicked out of the store and trespassed from the property. (I don't actually have the power to trespass anyone, but he didn't need to know that.) He sheepishly said "OK" and kept on walking, and neither I nor any of the other leads or floor staff saw or heard him try it again. Honestly, the only reason I didn't kick him out on the spot was that he was all the way towards the back of the store and I didn't want to get security involved in case he decided to make a scene.

Seriously, though. WTF? How in the hell do you reach the age of adulthood and think that this kind of behavior is in any way socially acceptable? Do you have nothing better to do with your time than harass people at the grocery store who don't look like you? Your girl obviously didn't think it was very funny. Are you that incapable of dealing with the fact that this country isn't some Leave It To Beaver lily-white fantasy land that never existed in the real world?

It's not even as if this was happening in the deep south, or the Midwest, or somewhere white people don't see minorities very often. This is the Pacific Northwest. This is a majorly liberal, majorly diverse place with lots of significant minority groups living here - besides Hispanics and African-Americans, we have a major Korean neighborhood, a major Vietnamese neighborhood, a big Russian population, lots of Natives living both on and off reservations, a big Filipino/Chamorro population, we even have a practicing Sikh who works here and wears his turban with his work uniform. (Thank goodness I haven't had to deal with anyone assuming that "turban = terrorist".) I work and interact with people of all colors and nationalities every day and I treat them all with the same amount of respect that I'd want to be treated. That you believed, in the year 2016, that it was OK for you to go around in this town in this part of the country and act like being white makes you better than other people - I can't even fathom that mindset.

Really, as a white guy myself, it offends me because jerks like this make white people look bad. Guys like this make lots of people think all white guys are assholes who don't care about them if they're not white. I know he saw me there when he was pulling this stunt, and he probably thought that because I was white I wouldn't care that he was picking on non-white people. And that really makes me mad - that some people can be so casually racist that they assume everyone else who shares their skin color is just as casually racist as they are.

Grrrrrr.

This is the correct use of white privilege - using it to call out the crappy behavior of our brethren. Refusing to stand idly by and let this crap happen. Making it clear we don't condone it and don't accept it.

A+ to you, good sir.
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

Props to you for saying something to him. It's amazing how many people around us are just batshit insane.

Comment

Yea ok we get who's thoughts you align with, quit being a 9 year old about it.
        [never mind I don't want to risk fracking out your thread]

I think you should get a gold star for handling it the way you did.

Bad part is the parts store I worked we have a nazi couple come in so often. Oh hats,tats, on the side of the car he had letter box letters saying "da further" and the "furthers frau" on his car doors. Of course NONE of us regardless of background wanted to deal with him but not once did he express his views to/at/on a customer or staff
        regardless of who helped him.

This couple was in the news for naming their babies Adolf and Himmler. But yet had more sense in public then to pull stupid stuff like that.
        Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 08-07-2016, 03:06 PM.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Agreed, this moron needs to find something far better to do with his time. While his girlfriend needs to dump his childish ass.

BTW, congrats on your 100th post Smapti!

Comment

I despise people like that. They truly think they are the only people that should live in -or have any rights in- the United States. The white privilege idiot version of the quote on the Statue of Liberty: Give me your poor, your tired, your hungry....has long has you are white. The rest, go back to wherever the hell you came from (even if u aready live in and/or were born in the USA)!

Grrr.... I could go on but I'm pushing fratching territory already. So I'll just say; people like this are what is wrong with the country and leave it at that.

Comment

Good on you for addressing childishness. I can't believe the way some supposed adults behave.

It just amazes me that people look down on other people for things that can't be helped, like gender and ethnic group. I'm a lot more interested in whether or not someone is honest and trustworthy, not whether they're [fill in the blank with ethnic group or gender].

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
                The white privilege idiot version of the quote on the Statue of Liberty: Give me your poor, your tired, your hungry....has long has you are white. The rest, go back to wherever the hell you came from (even if u aready live in and/or were born in the USA)!
                Of course the ultimate in racist stupidity is those who want all non-whites to go back where they came from - including the ethnic group which was waiting on the shore when the Mayflower arrived.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Rodimal View Post
                  long has you are white.
                  Well lots of people get upset if a person has any sort of accent. So if a person has a French accent or British or whatever, that is somehow a mark against them even if they're Caucasian. They are different, and that's bad! I actually just watched a youtube video about non-Asian people who grew up in Japan, which is really not super diverse. (98.5% Japanese) It was interesting, this sort of thing is not limited to any country or ethnic group.

And, really? "I don't like you so I'm going to make noise and possibly startle you!" Childish is the right word. Not all towns in the PNW are diverse. Whenever my mom comes to visit she always exclaims (in a happy way) about how many different languages we hear while shopping. She lives 2.5 hours away, but it's a smaller town.
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Just a friendly reminder to keep things on the safe side of the Fratching line guys -- which you have so far. Thank you for that ^_^

Remember folks, if your sentence starts with "I don't want to get into Fratching territory, but..." (or you started out that way but changed it) --- you've already crossed that line, 'cuz you're about to say something really non-CS friendly.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

God, what childish behavior! Why can't people like this behave themselves in public? It's really not that hard.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Just goes to show that maturity is not magically earned with age. You handled that very well!
                        If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

This guy has time on a Sat to drive to your store and spend what sounds like upwards of 30 minutes harrassing people by slamming his cart. Please get a hobby! I bet he told his wife/girlfriend it was a date. Good for you for handling it.

Comment

Sometimes people can surprise you. At the hotel where I work, we get people from all over the country because we're close to a world-class Specialty Hospital. This one couple was from a small town in an area not known to be particularly open-minded about religious diversity. They saw a cab driver using his prayer mat. They said "he's a Muslim" and I internally cringe waiting for some type of racist or islamophobic comment. Instead they said something in admiration of how devoted he was to his face and said they could learn something from that. Whew.
                            Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 08-08-2016, 02:15 PM.
                            "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Smapti, thanks for standing up for those who were being harassed!
                              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                              -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                              X