This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blatant plug directed at my fellow olde-schoole video gamers

Apparently, the Sega app on Steam that lets you (legally) play old Genesis games has morphed into a slightly more modern interface (and perhaps name) -- "Sega Genesis and Mega Drive Classics." If you have the old version, any games you have for it carry over. Even better -- they now have official mod support via the Workshop, so they integrate into the new interface automatically (you can revert to the old mode, just sans mods). Only downside is that you can only have one mod "active" on any given game at a time -- you gotta launch it by clicking the game you want, selecting "mods," and launching the mod's button itself. Hell, even the Phantasy Star games have them o_O In an interesting twist, each mod keeps its saves distinct from one another, and from the unmodified game's saves -- thus, you don't have to worry about crossing the streams.

The overwhelming bulk of the mods are just fan-made patches, including translations, de-censorship patches, and easy mode/infinite lives patches from a decade ago or better...but hey, most of them apparently work just fine Beats running the blasted things from a command line. The upside of this being, dozens of mods are already out there.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

I still have my Sega Genesis that I bought way back in 1994! Along with the Sega CD & 32X! Have a ton of games for each of them. I keep them in plastic storage cases in my closet & play them from time to time.
    I also have the Sega Nomad (portable Sega Genesis), Sega Dreamcast, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, & Playstation 1 & 2. With enough games for all of them to make a collector jealous...lol.

Comment

Working...
    X