Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ProcessXP does the same thing that PSKill does, and it even is used to stop individual process threads. I found out about all of this when I was battling the evil Vundo trojan. The trojan basically hides itself in other process's threads, so you can never completely get rid of it without some serious process management power, like ProcessXP. Also, make sure you delete whatever .dll file that holds the trojan. If you don't, it's going to come back again and again.

Good luck.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

Don't know, but I had that cursed Vundo before - found it with HiJackThis - very good program to use - if you know how to use it. There are also many VundoFIx programs - Symantec, others?...

But I got rid of mine - an no problems since. Did not have to run DBaN on my computer, yet. Perhaps later for general cleaning - or just wait until I upgrade...

Comment

Quoth RoLleRKoaSTeR View Post
        Don't know, but I had that cursed Vundo before - found it with HiJackThis - very good program to use - if you know how to use it. There are also many VundoFIx programs - Symantec, others?...
        Nope, Symantec didn't remove it. Even their removal tool didn't get it. It didn't even find it! We manually removed it, but forgot the .dll file, so we had to do it all over again. Basically, we had to kill the vundo files that were running inside of explorer.exe and I think the other process was svchost.exe. There was no way we could have done that with regular process manager, but it was all possible with ProcessXP. Fantastic program.
        Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
        Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
        The Office

Comment

I don't know if it has already been said in this thread or not, but, when the system usually asks for the Service Pack 2 CD 2 it is referring to the Media Center Edition. Does your system have Windows Media Center 2002 or 2005 installed?

To tack on to my last reply. If you are able to track down the proper CDs, follow these steps.

Press the Start button
          Select "Run"
          Type: sfc /scannow
          Hit the OK button
          Last edited by Broomjockey; 01-10-2008, 03:37 AM. Reason: use the edit button please

Comment

Yes, it's Windows Media Edition 2002.

All I have is the reinstall disk for XP that came with the laptop. However, I'm no longer having the "missing files" error. I got a little bit of help from a tech site and they seemed to have helped me get rid of a lot of the viruses I had. Turned out that it was a nasty virus that infected a lot of files and disguised themselves as legit files. I'm still not finished cleaning up this thing, but the worst seems over. I am still trying to avoid a reinstall.

Thanks for the tip, volatile; I'm going to save that somewhere just in case I do need it in the future.

Comment

Working...
            X