This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my tech guru: safe? help? please?

guys...I had a chat with these tech gurus, through microsoft. I just wanted to recover my hotmail account. I'm....at a loss cuz I dunno if something coulda happened... I managed to copy the whole convo, after the reboot. at first they tried to end the session while i was trying to copy paste the session which sent a red flag.

I'm sorry if my typing is all jumbled but...I'm scared...I didn't want a stranger that I couldn't see manually cleaning the computer whether there was a problem or not.

Another reason I feel like this is I've heard of tech supports taking control and stealing personal info and one guy set up to a trap to catch them in the act. Also, after looking around for reviews on My Tech Guru and some, don't look good.
    So...anyway here's the convo below.

shortly.
    9:48 AM Support session established with Annie.
    9:48 AM Remote Control started by Annie.

9:48 AM Customer: what just happened????
    9:49 AM Customer: the one window had red text
    9:49 AM Annie: It got stucked did you see the error's in that screen.
    9:50 AM Customer: i couldn't, I only saw that the text was red and the computer went to reboot quickly afterwards
    9:51 AM Annie: Let me check it again. May I?
    9:51 AM Customer: you may
    9:59 AM Annie: Let me show you the cause for the issue. May I?
    9:59 AM Customer: ok
    10:01 AM Annie: Wow..can you see that?
    10:01 AM Customer: yes
    10:02 AM Customer: just took a picture of it with phone and sent to husband
    10:03 AM Annie: These could be normally performed by Third party accessors or Fraudulent Identity thieves could spread Corruption on your computer to get access on your computer & personal informations to make money out of it.
    10:03 AM Annie: These might be forced by the Third party accessors or Fraudulent Identity thieves to transfer informations to other network.
    10:03 AM Annie: Oh , that's bad, it’s actually a trick to lure people to allow them into their computer & then plant a spyware which spreads to all programs , they do this so that the spyware might get a track of your online banking information.
    10:04 AM Customer: trick? what trick?
    10:04 AM Annie: The Corruption is always replicating & might spread to all programs in the computer , if it corrupts the boot up manager it would cause the entire operating system to crash , also it would work as a tracking software by which it could get personal info like banking details & then send it to a fraudulent People to another part of the globe, but please don’t worry because we surely have ways to get this fixed & make your computer immune.
    10:06 AM Customer: oh wait, i thought you meant trcik as someone tricked me..when i haven't told anyone my password
    10:06 AM Annie: As I told These could be normally performed by Third party accessors or Fraudulent Identity thieves could spread Corruption on your computer to get access on your computer & personal informations to make money out of it.
    10:08 AM Annie: Are you there?
    10:08 AM Customer: oh..what a morning
    10:08 AM Annie: Please respond me once your read my response.
    10:09 AM Customer: I'm here
    10:09 AM Annie: The Corruption is always replicating & might spread to all programs in the computer , if it corrupts the boot up manager it would cause the entire operating system to crash , also it would work as a tracking software by which it could get personal info like banking details & then send it to a fraudulent People to another part of the globe, but please don’t worry because we surely have ways to get this fixed & make your computer immune.
    10:09 AM Customer: I got that the first time.
    10:10 AM Annie: There seem to be serious issues with your computer that needs immediate attention....Some of the registry issues need to be fixed or it might result in computer crashes and data loss. I can fix it manually for you.
    10:12 AM Customer: >< bee rendered speechless
    10:12 AM Customer: *been
    10:13 AM Annie: I am sure you have heard of computer crashes; email account and banking information getting stolen. Computer crashes and data loss happen out of the blue without a warning.
    10:13 AM Annie: May I know when you last had a certified technician to clean up your computer manually?
    10:14 AM Customer: we haven't, husband is the one who does the cleaning if there's a serious problem.
    10:14 AM Annie: It is highly recommended to perform a manual PC Clean Up at least once in a month by a Certified technician like us.Then only your PC and network ports will be secure.
    10:15 AM Annie: And also I suggest You not to click on any unwanted advertisements or view any spam mails.
    10:15 AM Annie: Registry cleanup is a critical task because if any one of the files in the registry editor is missed or corrupted the computer might not get startup. The registry is a vital component of the Windows operating system. In order to keep your computer running efficiently, it is critical that you keep this area healthy and free of errors.
    10:15 AM Customer: who is the third party?
    10:16 AM Annie: These could be normally performed by cyber criminals to spread VIRUS on your PC to get access on your PC & personal informations to make money out of it.
    10:16 AM Annie: They might have spread the unidentified spywares on your PC.
    10:16 AM Annie: These might be forced by the Cyber attackers.
    10:17 AM Customer: Is there a way to find out who the third party is?
    10:17 AM Annie: As this could be performed by Fraudulent these Corruption cannot be detected.
    10:18 AM Annie: So we can start to secure the PC and the accounts?
    10:20 AM Customer: I wish to consult to close trusted friends before i make a decision
    10:21 AM Customer: is that alright
    10:21 AM Annie: We would not like to comment on any third party.
    I do understand but I believe you or a local technician might not fix it. Certified System Engineer like us can fix the issues from the root kit such that they don’t occur again
    10:22 AM Customer: I understand, but I still wish to conult to them.

Am I too late? Or are they safe? Am I being paranoid? I want to protect my computer.

Husband, who is the super tech to make sure something is gone is on duty today and is too busy and stressed with work to help me. So I come to you guys as I trust you guys more than this company Microsoft support is using.

Edit: the program they used was logmein rescue, if that means anything. Again, I'm really sorry if I sound dumb/super paranoid about all this.
    Last edited by Caffienated_Caramel; 02-18-2013, 03:44 PM.

Using my phone to talk. After talking to husband who has had a moment, he is a little freaked by it too. He's now monitoring our shared account while I'm monitoring my personal one. He also told me to turn off the network and unplug it as a precaution until he got home tomorrow.

I know right? What does a third party has to do with getting back my email? I only can't get to it cuz it auto updated with skype (I believe, after I avoided the upgrade for so long) and it has a very old atlernate email that I no longer remember as my email to go retrieve access to get my hotmail back. *deep sigh*

Any other input you guys want to add? I still wish to have my hotmail back, if just save some important emails and possibly never using hotmail again.

Comment

Looks like one of those outfits you see advertising on tv all the time to "tune up" your PC. They're probably not malicious, but I wouldn't let them at my computer either.

*edit* and now I remember why that looked familiar. I had to help someone recover a password for an AOL email account( don't ask), and these guys buy ads with keywords like "AOL support", "Microsoft Support", "Mac support", etc. Probably a legit company, but fishy advertising in my opinion.
      Last edited by suburbandecay; 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM.

Comment

I smell scam. They're shooting for the worst case scenario without a proper investigation. No technician worth their salt will do that.

Don't talk to them again. Take your system to a local computer repair place with certified technicians (most have a minimum A+) and ask for a system clean. It will cost money but you'll be secure in the knowledge that it is legitimate.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Trust me, I will not talk to them again. I just hope nothing did happen when they took control to look around. Thank you guys so much, it's nice to know people like you are here to help. I will give an update tomorrow hopefully to see what husband and I find out if there was any damage.

Comment

Husband took a look around and he didn't find anything suspicious at all. He also deleted the logmein rescue program that was used by 'Annie'.

We've also been watching our accounts and THANKFULLY nothing was stolen. Still, I am planning to keep watch, cuz THAT scared me so much.

Edit: I'm sorry if I'm bragging about the hubby's skill, can't help myself because he's helped me and his friends/coworkers with our computer issues over the years I've known him. If I ever got him on here, he would be more humble about it. I know he doesn't know everything, but to me though...yeah.
            Last edited by Caffienated_Caramel; 02-20-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

The TechGuru's is a total scam!!

I was trying to contact Ms to buy a replacement DVD to reinstall Win 7 Home Premium
              by a Google search on "telephone microsoft...", something like that...

I made the (deadly) mistake of selecting the "Microsoft Partner" TechGuru, thinking they could provide the download DVD as I gave them my Product ID...

I'll try to make this short. The gist of the matter was a "chat with their higher level"
              who insisted to DETECT & FIX my registry in spite of my repeats to just give the download...The person was adamant about showing me her reasons as " a reinstall WOULD NOT FIX MY LEVEL 3 REGISTRY AUTHENTICATION ERRORS" TOGETHER WITH MUCH HI-TECH SOUNDING GOBBLEDEGOOK...

While I was telling her to logoff the remote chat, she tried to sell her registry fixes & services that would run in range $200-600...I was so mad I could spit!
              Beware of those guys AND SHAME ON MICROSOFT TO ALLOW THEIR "PARTNERS" TO REPRESENT THEM.

Comment

Not sure how I didn't see this one earlier, but that conversation read like broken English. Definitely don't talk to them again.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

When 'Annie' went to 'show you the cause for the issue', I'll bet 'she' opened Event Viewer and showed you all of the errors that were collected...which are really nothing to worry about.

If 'she' did, it's a total scam, it's the same tactic used in the 'Microsoft Support' scam calls.

Comment

Thank you guys again for the concern. Nothing came further of that incident and everything is safe

Comment

Working...
                    X