Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google 2-step authentication and desktop mail client...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google 2-step authentication and desktop mail client...

As I posted in Off Topic, my Google account had some hinky activity earlier this month culminating in a few crappy song 'purchases' (emails were timestamped the 28th but I never got them until yesterday).

One of the steps I took was to enable the 2-factor authentication for now. Although it's already driving me nuts. For some reason, Thunderbird on my desktop isn't allowed to sign in with my regular Gmail password, it needs an 'app specific password'. I'm supposed to only need to generate it ONCE for each app/device. Right? Not really. TB needs that app-specific password every time I want to get (and SEND) email, which means I have to sign into Google, revoke authorization and regenerate a code to then plug into TB as my password.

Anyone have experience with this and how to get it to actually remember the program? I'm thinking that it has to do with dynamic IP assignment (Google gets confused)...
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-30-2014, 01:46 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor
Working...
X