Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's a good laptop for a computer newbie?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My chromebook is so small that it's essentially the same as a tablet with a keyboard. I think chrome can be used on a desktop, but I don't remember how.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

SSD or not, 16 GB as the hard drive? o_O Are they assuming you'll have a spare drive/SD card for storage or something? Even assuming that Chrome OS is tiny, that's not a whole lot.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I think I've narrowed it down to either a Toshiba CB35-B3330 13.3-Inch Chromebook 2 or a Dell Chromebook 11 11.6-inch.

I have one question.

Is she going to be able to use my internet connection? My other sister does, so I assume this will be ok, just not sure if Chromebook is going to need anything different.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          SSD or not, 16 GB as the hard drive? o_O Are they assuming you'll have a spare drive/SD card for storage or something? Even assuming that Chrome OS is tiny, that's not a whole lot.
          my research into chrome os shows that actually very little is on the hdd most chromebooks don't have any storage and are google drive only. The apps are basically streamed to the computer. The ones with storage can save some apps for limited offline use but still it's pretty much designed to be an internet terminal.
          Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
          Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            Is she going to be able to use my internet connection?
            yeppers, it connects to standard wireless networks just fine.

Quoth EricKei View Post
            Even assuming that Chrome OS is tiny, that's not a whole lot.
            I've got 16gb left on my 32 and that's with ChromeOS, two linux distros, and a bunch of miscellany that i can't be bothered clouding. also a couple of movies should i ever be stuck w/o internet.
            Last edited by sms001; 12-09-2014, 04:58 PM. Reason: Combined posts

Comment

Based on the reviews I found online, both of these are good for web use and writing, which is mainly what she'd be doing with it.

I kind of like the Toshiba but the Dell got slightly better reviews. It's kind of a toss-up between the two, I guess. I'm just a little leery of Dell because my work computer is a Dell and I don't like it. But that's a regular PC, not a laptop and not Chrome, so maybe that doesn't matter, and it won't be my machine, anyway.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
              X