This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charter and thunderbird

Anyone know the correct e-mail settings for sending e-mail from Charter in thunderbird? I keep on timing out.

Charter probably has a support self-help website that should include the server details.
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Yeah... those are incorrect. I tried those settings and I keep on getting timed out. I currently use Avast as my anti-virus.

Comment

Disable email scanning if it is enabled in Avast. Email scanning is superfluous anyway, and causes a lot of problems like this. The reason it does is because it works by being a transparent proxy sitting between your mail client and the internet. Pretty much all email scanners work this way.

Comment

that did it! thanks!

edit.. I played with the Avast settings and got it to still scan outbound.. just not the secure connection which looks like was throwing the problem

:-D
          Last edited by Sandman; 10-16-2014, 12:57 AM.

Comment

I can't tell you how many email issues I fixed by disabling email scanning, but it's gotta be over a hundred.

Comment

I've had similar issues with AT&T and Thunderbird. And their help page only gives you info on settings for Outlook or Live Mail, not Thunderbird.

I had to call and talk with a tech support person to get my settings, which I keep written on a scrap piece of paper and in my black phone book (that's where all the important stuff stays) so if I ever have to reinstall Thunderbird, I have my settings.

Even trickier: I have a BellSouth legacy email account, and those settings Thunderbird gives for the BellSouth servers are no longer valid (have to use the AT&T port numbers) so main reason for calling tech support to get help.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
              X