This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Fly Like A Bird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYW5G...yer_embedded#!

This man has developed a gilder-type device powered by an android phone that feeds a motor sensor input from wii controllers. Thus, he can fly like a bird with his invention! Watching him leave the ground made me cry. His official web site is here.

Even so, so many people comment that this is 'fake as hell.' He based his invention off of the movements of the Albatross. They work like real wings; I can only see that he would have to keep it as light as possible and that the wing size would have to match body weight. I hope with all my heart that this is real - it seems much more feasible than a 747 getting off the ground!
    Last edited by LillFilly; 03-21-2012, 04:10 AM.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Quoth LillFilly View Post
    Even so, so many people comment that this is 'fake as hell.'
    Yeah, a lot of people are saying "Fake!" and offering to proof as to how. At best a couple of theories of green screening but that's it. Until there's actual proof it was faked then I'll simply say they're just jealous they couldn't do it themselves.

Needless to say, If it does pan out it gives the old joke "I just flew in from Boston and boy are my arms tired!" a brand new understanding.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Something doesn't look right to me about the video, but it's still up in the air. Expect more flights and imitators shortly if it's legit.

Comment

I actually sent a heads up to Daily Planet, a Canadian science news show and they told me to check out the show tonight, so it could very well be legit.
        I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

I love how his site has step-by-step in how he thought of it, what bird he used, how he put it all together. It is just so....simple it's amazing! If I knew how to put the phone and motor and controllers together you can bet I'd be flying that to work in a month!
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Wired magazine published an analysis of the footage... http://m.wired.com/wiredscience/2012...man-birdwings/

Comment

So I saw the segment and the verdict is not likely. No power source shown, the levels of lift just aren't matching up and the wings stay loose instead of tightening up.

At least it's fake on some actual scientific reasoning as opposed to "the video looks fake but I can't prove it!"
              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                So I saw the segment and the verdict is not likely. No power source shown, the levels of lift just aren't matching up and the wings stay loose instead of tightening up.

At least it's fake on some actual scientific reasoning as opposed to "the video looks fake but I can't prove it!"

Well, I'm very sad now. I'm going to go cry in the corner...

Comment

Awww, that's gonna break my heart. I'd love for something like this to actually be doable. ;_;
                  By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

For those who have not been following the story, it is a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technol...nbirdwings.asp
                    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                    X