This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who the %^&# did we piss off?

I walk into a rush. All our boats get rented. It isn't even noon.

Then:

1: One of our mechanics is taken away. His girlfriend calls, refusing to say what's going on or even what her name is. I had to guess from the crying baby in the background.

2: One of our jetskiis explode. Not even kidding. My boss (and father) was on the boat. He jumped off, but still got first degree burns. He goes home.

3: We are now down to two general employees, and two mechanics. A guy calls in, on behalf of a boat that is stuck out in front of the "public park" (no such thing exists on this lake.)

Me: Alright, well, is there gas on the water? It looks kinda rainbow-ish and sparkly, and it should be circular.
    Him: Oh, I'm not on the boat.
    Me: Can you give the people on the boat our number, or relay? We only have two people here, so if we could talk them through starting the boat that'd be great.
    Him: I don't know what you're asking me.
    Me: Okay. We'll find a boat, (all our boats were booked, and our jetskii exploded) and find a person to put on that boat, and we'll get them.
    Him: They aren't that far from you.
    Me: Right, right. We can do this. Have a good day.

4: The [fishing pontoon] has a twin on the lake. It stopped by for gas, and I was so freaking relieved we had a boat to go rescue the other one with. It was the twin. But, our boat was right behind it. I filled it up with gas. One of our mechanics gets on it and drives out to the public launch. The only public access on this lake.

5: My grandma calls, wanting to know if I could work on my apartment with her tonight. I tell her I'm not sure what the family's plans are, and she slowly works out of me what happened with her son, the guy who was on the jetskii that exploded.

6: The stranded boat was brought back in. Turns out, it was just about the furthest point away from where they said it was. And the boat was fine.

7: But when one of the women got off the boat, she stepped on a boarded contraption that was apparently not screwed down. (A good portion of our building is actually built over the water, and the foundation was filled in with rocks--that's safe. We put boards over the rocks to make it safe-er.) She fell in.

I couldn't talk these people off the boat after that, and got a bag of ice for the woman that fell in. She insisted she didn't need it, but the rest of the people on the boat insisted she should take it. I also got their dogs a bowl of water. The dogs were pretty happy.

8: A guy calls on the phone pissed off at the accountant. He insisted we were supposed to call him and we didn't and he needed his gaskets yesterday. The accountant explains that two guys had to leave to go to the hospital, and it was just her and a teenage girl (me.) She asked if he could call back. He exclaimed he couldn't care less. She hung up on him. >_<

9: My boss returns. We try to push him out the door, because being on fire = earning a vacation. His mother comes in and guilt-trips him for not telling her.

10: One of our mechanics, who has been here several hours later than he was scheduled for went out on the stranded boat to explain to them how to work it. While trying to get off he got propositioned by one of the women, and rejected by the dogs (they nearly bit him.)

11: A guy comes in wanting parts. After finding what they were (as he didn't know part numbers) I found we had none in stock, or backstock. (Stock we sell off online to get rid of.) I tell him we can have the part in two days, three if it comes from a place notorious for being behind, or he can take the part numbers and go somewhere else.

He curtly responds he wants to order them. I warn him that if we don't call him by the end of the week, he should drop back on by or call us, as we probably have it, but may have lost his contact info.

We're a super-small business, and a pretty new one too. We're always on the lookout for problems, and with this one, we're still in the 'doing something about it' stage. Almost everything is written down in two notebooks, or various sheets of scrap paper. We have an order system for everything, except for the distributor he needs it from, so it was most likely to get lost.

He exclaims that if we don't call him, he won't check back.

My boss then explains there is no way to attach a name to the part, so sometimes when it comes in, we can't distinguish it from stock. He accepts that explanation, tells me that's what I should have said, and leaves.

Also, dude, your name is a 4-letter word which just happens to be in the title of our business. You don't need to spell it out for me. It's a very common word, especially around here (it was essentially like the word: "Tree").

12: The guy that was hung up on called back, and talked to my boss. In-person he was nicer, and everything was settled. Sorry dude. Stress can make people snippy.

So, I feel like we got cursed, and I was wondering who on earth we pissed off to deserve such a shitty day.

Oh, and I see I forgot to say what happened with the mechanic's baby. She's fine. Apparently the babysitter wasn't watching her very closely, and she fell on her face in the bath-tub.

Comment

Have you thought of writing scripts for a TV series based on your business? LOL. Maybe they could just turn your place into a reality show- wouldn't even need the extra drama they usually add into those shows.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

My word. What a mess.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
          Oh, and I see I forgot to say what happened with the mechanic's baby. She's fine. Apparently the babysitter wasn't watching her very closely, and she fell on her face in the bath-tub.

maybe it's me but... in the tub is one of the places where "not watching very closely" shouldn't ever be practiced. not when it comes to very small children.

Comment

I completely agree Pepper. I would have done a better job, and I have the maternal instinct of a rock. (Somewhere on these forums I have the description of one of my adventures into babysitting. It includes highlights such as trying to reason with the infant to get her to go to sleep. I was NOT meant to have kids. >_<)

The mechanic said it very well when he said: "Hell, I've had her in my workshop and I've never had any problems. Because I watch her."

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
              I have the maternal instinct of a rock.
              This cracked me up
              If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Working...
              X