This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, no promo for me

So, I got a call from Area Manager. After five months of Other MOD and myself running the motel ourselves, we're getting a new GM...and it's not me.

I'm not completely out yet. The new GM was a former MOD and is fresh out of GM school. [Other GM] will be up often coaching her, and he will be working with me to keep me moving on the GM path. Our new GM eventually wants to end up in [big city south of us], and so when something opens up there, I'll be in the running for this property. Area Manager said that for now, since I don't have experience at other properties, he wants to get me more experience.

Area Manager was almost pleading with me not to be too disappointed. I think that [Other MOD at another property] who walked off the job about a month and a half ago when she didn't get her way (and thus left him without enough relief managers) is still fresh in his mind. While I am a bid disappointed, his reasoning is sound, this other person does have a lot more experience than me, and if I were in his position I'd probably do the same thing.

Other MOD doesn't see that, though. When I got off the phone with Area Manager and relayed his plan, she started going off.

Other MOD: "WHAT THE HELL?!?! Haven't we proved we can run this property! You ran it for three weeks straight while I was gone; you've proven you can run it!"

I do think it's somewhat funny that Other MOD is taking it harder than I am. I think she's afraid of what the new GM will be like.

I'm not too concerned, though. This GM is a mom with a kid, and the manager's apartment is a tiny one bedroom. It's smaller than my place, and I already live in one of the cheapest, smallest, crappiest apartments in town! When/if I were to get promoted, that apartment is the one big thing I would not look forward about moving into. So I believe Area Manager that this is a short-to-mid-term thing (minimum commitment for any GM is one year, so it will be at least that long).

So yeah, disappointed, but not without some hope, at least.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I can see that you'd be disappointed but it definitely does sound as though you are high on their list for a promo in the not-too-distant future. Hope the new GM works out well, and hopefully you won't have to wait too long to become a GM yourself.

Comment

Aww, that's so frustrating to hear - but I'm glad to hear you're taking it so well
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
        Aww, that's so frustrating to hear - but I'm glad to hear you're taking it so well
        Yeah. Somehow, I'm taking it better than Other MOD. I didn't witness this, but I had people tell me about it: yesterday, Area Manager called, and Other MOD ripped into him about how dare he bring a new GM right before audit and how we've been busting our butts running the place and the new GM gets to sweep in before audit and get all the glory. Area Manager responded by saying he wasn't bringing her any more Pepsis. (Other MOD is a Pepsi fiend...and I'm a Coke gal, so we argue about that frequently. )

Though...it doesn't affect the MOD bonuses, and iirc, a GM has to be at the property for at least 6 months of the year to qualify for the audit bonus, so even if she had come in a month ago she still wouldn't be getting a bonus for passing the audit. I tried to explain that to Other MOD, but she was too livid.

(I really think we are going to rock the audit this year, too!)

Mainly, I feel bad for one of my GSRs. With a GM coming in, Other MOD and I have to go back to some of our old GSR shifts, and this GSR had been a housekeeper who was moved in to cover for us and is set to be pushed back. She really doesn't want to be pushed to the back of the house, so she's probably going to leave us when she finds other work. I feel bad for her, since she's a good employee, but that's how the cookie crumbles. We aren't allowed to give professional letters of recommendation, but I'll write her a personal one if she wants.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
        X