This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hole in the Wall

Had an interesting discovery today while checking in vendors/getting ready for tomorrow's inventory, et al . . .

Daria had come in to get the locked room ready for counting. She came running back to the receiving area, crying "DG! I need you immediately!"

I hand the paperwork back to TA, who had brought a wine delivery and excused myself for a moment and went to see what was the matter, the whole time Daria was almost breathlessly trying to tell me about something in the locked room.

She had pulled out boxes of store fixtures that had been there forever that the reset team still has not installed to discover a gaping hole in the wall around the water pipe!!!!

The room is constructed of cinder blocks. A section had crumbled around the pipe going through the wall and the hole was not quite big enough for a small child to crawl through.

Needless to say, my jaw hit the floor. None of us had known how it happened or when or how. Even Pidge (who was the MOD this morning) thought I knew something about it.

Not a clue had I. All I know is that's a MAJOR safety hazard. If the wall had collapsed and Daria was in there, she'd been a blonde pancake.

Turned out a short time later, Pidge had called Naitch at home and he knew about it. Apparently one of the delivery trucks had hit the wall while attempting to pull into our dock (which is close to the back wall of the store. The trucks have to pull way past the docks and back in at a tricky angle and line up straight to get in line with the dock door.)

Not sure which company is involved but Naitch apparently has filed a report and is trying to get the mater settled so we can get repairs ASAP.

And in the meantime, as a result of the collision, the water main is leaking and causing the water bill to go waaay up . . . on top of the obvious safety issues the structural damage has created.

Just because I handle the deliveries I can't tell you how many drivers have come close to hitting the wall, as the roll up door is closed until a truck does pull in and when it's raised, all I see is the inside of the open trailer. And it's closed up after the product comes off the truck so as to when, who, how . . . I have no answers for this.

Be interesting to see how this turns out.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

I feel for you, We've lost actual TREES and road signs to truck drivers taking turns to wide, getting stuck at an awkward angle, etc. One actually took-out the gated fence around our trash area. Nobody's ever quick to fess-up to it, are they?

Do you think your insurance will cover it then recoup the losses from the responsible company in order to get repairs done faster, or wait until they wrangle the cash out of the offenders, if you can prove which trucker did it?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I think they are better off fixing it now instead of waiting to negotiate terms. That water will cause more damage than the initial hole if they leave it going awhile.

Comment

Quoth suburbandecay View Post
        I think they are better off fixing it now instead of waiting to negotiate terms. That water will cause more damage than the initial hole if they leave it going awhile.
        I suspect you may be right on that but unfortunately, it's not my call to make.

I did hear a little more about the incident this morning from Daria while we were finishing up getting the locked room ready for counting.

Turns out the incident happened about 2 months ago. Although I didn't hear which company's driver was responsible but we heard that Naitch knows and is trying to get things settled.

In the meantime, we'll watch and wait to see how long it takes to have the repair work done.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
        X