This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of the CD deters me from New Sheoth

I have a copy of Oblivion GOTY Edition installed on my laptop. The problem is since we moved, we forgot to bring the CD.

Yup, this is an oldschool copy, from back before Steam was common. So we can't play it without inserting the CD. What are some solutions for this other than buying a whole new version of the game just to get the CD?
    Last edited by Tama; 02-17-2016, 04:02 AM.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

What I know about licenses and games isn't much, but from what I understand the CD is what tells the game that you own a valid copy of the license and can play. Without outright hacking or pirating it, your only solution might be to buy another copy of the game. You might also be able to email the company and ask what your options are but if you don't have proof that you bought the game and legally own a copy of it (receipt, bank statement, etc), there might not be anything they can do.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

If it wasn't through Steam or another online service -- not much, unless you registered your copy on the makers' forum. Some of those keep track of CD keys.

Check at stores that sell games (GS, BB, WM, et al) -- they may have a deal on a all-in-one package.

The best bet short of that is to just wait for the next Steam sale -- It's $20 for GOTY (main + 2 expansions) or $25 for Deluxe (GOTY + all of the DLC), so the sale price should be $10~15, if not less. Just hit up Steam and add it to your Wishlist to get an email then next time it goes on sale.
      Last edited by EricKei; 02-17-2016, 06:33 AM.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Gorramit, guys. >_< This is why we can't have nice things.

Regarding the deleted posts: "Not technically illegal" is still something other than 100% legal, and hence, expressly verboten on this site. Following that up with a direct link to such a site...

Thread locked.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
        X