This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 10 "upgrade" being obnoxious?

Someone has finally called a spade a spade - the "upgrade" is malware.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

I resolved to stick with Win7 long ago. To that end, I removed and hid the specific Windows Updates associated with the nagging, and also turned off "Give me recommended updates" and set manual updates.

Touch wood, I won't be among the people who wake up to find out that an automatic OS major upgrade has happened overnight without consent.

Comment

We'll have to keep an eye on it. Microsoft has been getting increasingly aggressive in pushing it out so I fully expect before the freebie period expires it will get bumped up to the required category and install regardless. Reception to it is much lower than they've been expecting and they really want to hit that one billion count they claimed they would pull off.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Dear ol' dad decided to upgrade the computer mom and he use to Windows 10. Mom promptly threw a fit.

I was able to revert it to Windows 7. Then I set the computer to never check for updates. So far so good.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I have it at work, and after an adjustment period, I found that I really don't mind it. I do mind the aggressive way they're pushing the upgrade, though. I haven't upgraded at home, although I probably will before it goes off free upgrade.

The other thing I expect them to do is the same as what they did with XP: once support is completely done, publish all know exploits that don't have fixes, with the implication that users are on their own.
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

My Hubby's laptop has Win 10 and for the most part, we don't mind it. It certainly seems to function better than Win 8 did on my sister's laptop.

I just hope that I don't end up with the forced upgrade (I shouldn't since I told Windows Update to ask me first before installing anything, but you never know), since I tried once already back last August and apparently my system has some hardware quirks that make it not run quite right (dual monitor setup with one digital monitor and one analog monitor, USB-based wireless internet adapter because the router is in the next room, rather old Wacom tablet, etc.), not to mention probably not having quite enough memory despite Microsoft's claims that I do.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

My dad has Win10 and says he likes it; I haven't noticed a lot of differences, but the sticking point for me is the assorted privacy issues. Also, I have a lot of stuff that either will never work with 10 (at least not without some tweaks that even if I knew how to do M$ probably won't let them run) or will die before a patch is released so it will be moot.

We refused to upgrade awhile ago before I knew of the privacy problems; mom just didn't like the nags and how each time I figured out how to remove it M$ came out with a new 'update' that reinfected things.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I currently work for the Guberment and we have XP, 7,8 and 10.

XP should have gone away but some DoD entities are not able to upgrade due to cost and well guberment stupidity.

7 is a solid platform and was a "sorry" note for the Vista fiasco.
                8 is a pain in the but and built to look like Apple or a tablet on your desktop. It has a lot of bugs when used on a DoD network. it does not like being told it can not have some programs or access. 10.... I have a long string of curse word in 4 different languages for Win10. The "You will be assimilated" mentality of of 10 is bad enough but I get calls form .mil people in the middle of the night who are unable to connect to WiFi, Access Websites, Use PKI, ect ect. Biggest issue is Win10 Edge is not compatible with ANY DoD website, and Windows doesn't care. I have to teach the Starfish how to find IExploder and install java. Not an easy task when dealing with Starfish.

Comment

Working...
                X