This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lube of Jif strikes again.

So, after my last thread about lube of jif (I never found a leak, and it all burned off eventually, leading me to think they just gave the engine a good coat of oil before finishing my change), I went to change the oil a few days ago. The following happened:

So, I put the car up on the ramps, and go to loosen the plug bolt. I'm pulling way harder than I should on the socket driver, and all of a sudden, something breaks free. The bolt is still tight, but now the socket doesn't fit any more. Looking at the socket, it's split down the middle.

I get a wrench, and start yanking on that, and finally give up and HANG off of the wrench, which STILL doesn't break the plug free. I weigh 175lbs and didn't have enough weight to break the plug loose.

Now, I'm PISSED! I throw my tools into the passenger seat, grab the busted socket, and drive to the jiffy lube.

I get there, and the following happens.

Worker: How's it going?
    Me: Not so good. *hands him the busted socket*
    Worker: How did this happen?
    Me: Trying to bust loose the drain plug that YOU guys overtightened. Secondly, when you changed the oil, you slopped oil all over my engine! I had clouds of smoke pouring out from under my hood! I thought my engine was on fire!
    Worker: O_O
    *Manager hears the ruckus I'm making and walks in*
    Me: You guys are sloppy, and incompetent! I need the drain plug loosened and I want it done NOW!
    *manager does a double take at that last line*
    Manager: Why didn't you take it back to us with the oil spill?
    Me: Because I don't want you guys touching my car! *I show him the dark spots where the oil was spilled everywhere*
    *Worker2 goes under my car in the lower bay, and I see the car start shaking with his attempts to loosen this bolt*
    Worker: Yeah. That wasn't too bad.
    Me: O_o
    Worker2: Yeah. Just tapped it and it came loose.
    Me: It wouldn't have split my socket had it been as loose as you claim. I was HANGING off the bolt and it wouldn't loosen.
    *manager tries to hand me 3 15% off coupons*
    Manager: When you come back, here's some discounts.
    Me: HA! I'm not coming back here!
    Manager: You can give them to friends then...
    Me: What kind of friend would I be to inflict you on them? Hell no! I wouldn't even give those to enemies. No car deserves that treatment.

Yes, I was pissed. However, if they had stripped that bolt, that would have been a VERY expensive repair that *I* would have had to pay for, not them. For those not in the know, that would have required removing the engine, replacing the oil pan, and putting the engine back. I feel rather justified to be pissed in this instance. I raised my voice a bit so other customers could hear, but I didn't yell, I didn't curse.
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
    However, if they had stripped that bolt, that would have been a VERY expensive repair that *I* would have had to pay for, not them.
    um have they canceled their insurance since I worked there?
    The store I worked at paid out for two engines, a valve job, and bodywork from damage done by the techs(this was over a year). now that may seem like a lot, however, we averaged around 100 cars a day, 6 days a week(that's over 31,000 cars a year and only 4 damage claims)
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I recommend the Monkey of Grease.
      Women can do anything men can.
      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
      Maxine

Comment

Speaking of... *calls Ford garage to get first oil change on the car*
        Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
          Yes, I was pissed. However, if they had stripped that bolt, that would have been a VERY expensive repair that *I* would have had to pay for, not them. For those not in the know, that would have required removing the engine, replacing the oil pan, and putting the engine back.
          I've swapped engines out, and yes, it's a pain in the ass. Even though my MGB's engine is by no means complex, the checklist of things for removing the engine...is several pages long Things like the spark plug wires, emissions equipment (since binned), both radiator hoses, propshaft, oil cooler lines, radiator and its bulkhead (for additional clearance), carbs, exhaust manifold, etc. all have to either come totally off, or be disconnected. Also in the "disturbed" group, are the engine mounting pads, and the cross-member that the tail end of the transmission bolts to. Oh, and all fluids have to be drained first. I do know that the transmission doesn't have to come out as well...but trying to get all those bolts up tight (and without leaks) is damn near impossible Trust me, after doing that job once...I *really* don't want to do it again!

But, I've heard that you can sometimes salvage components with damaged threads. You can occasionally get lucky with either a magnetic drain plug...or by finding someone that can plug the original hole, and then drilling and re-tapping the threads.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
            But, I've heard that you can sometimes salvage components with damaged threads. You can occasionally get lucky with either a magnetic drain plug...or by finding someone that can plug the original hole, and then drilling and re-tapping the threads.
            That's a lot more of an option in an older cast iron block engine than in my wife's 2004 aluminum engine. I think the only option would be retapping, since welding to aluminum is a difficult thing I wouldn't really trust, and of course, aluminum is a non ferrous metal, so a magnetic drain plug is a no no as well.

Granted, as tight as the plug was, I was expecting the threads to be demolished beyond all recognition. The plug is a grade 5 bolt, and the pan is aluminum. Guess which one would strip first? :-P

Comment

Couldn't you just drill it out and put in a Helicoil? I'm pretty sure those work on aluminum.

Comment

I made the mistake of taking my first car to "Iffy Lube" one time, and one time only. Back then, I normally did all my own oil changes, but for some reason I decided to let the "pros" do it that time. I didn't have any problems that I was aware of, until it was time for the next oil change, which I did when I was spending a weekend at my grandparents'.

I had no trouble getting the plug off. What gave me trouble was the filter. That thing was on there tight! Worse yet, they used a cheap, flimsy filter, which crumpled like tinfoil when I wrapped the wrench around it. The whole thing pretty much disintegrated, leaving very little other than the base, which was still firmly screwed onto the socket. My dad, my grandfather, my brother, and myself all tried to get it loose, to no avail.

After a lot of frustration and trying so hard not to let a string of profanities loose in front of my grandparents, I finally gave up and left it like that overnight. The next day, there was some sort of family get-together, and one of my family members -- I have no idea how -- managed to get the damn thing loose.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

The Lube of Jif is made from Peanussbutter!

(the invertebrate punster spreads away)
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    um have they canceled their insurance since I worked there?
                    If they couldn't even apologize and accept responsibility for the busted socket and overtightening the bolt, what makes you think they'd accept responsibility and pay to replace the oil pan? :-P

Quoth dalesys View Post
                    The Lube of Jif is made from Peanussbutter!
                    Very Punny! *groans* :-P

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
                      I recommend the Monkey of Grease.
                      OMG I would never go there ever again. My husband took my Intrepid there and it started leaking oil. So I took it back there and told them to fix it. It stopped leaking, but they didn't add more oil. So I had to go back and get that done. Then it started leaking again. Ugh.

Ended up blowing that engine up. Told husband to never, ever go there again. Ever.

So he takes his truck there because he was lazy and didn't want to drive to the other place. Start having the same issues. He ended up taking it to Valvoline and got it done correctly. Heard a ton of horror stories about the Monkey, including several instances of them not tightening bolts tight enough, one of where they didn't put the drain plug back on, and one where they drained the oil and changed the filter but neglected to add fresh oil. Finally got husband to admit to being lazy and stupid for not learning the first time

Comment

Ever since they did the undercover series on Iffy Lube, I won't nor will ever go there. Why invite being ripped-off? Meineke does well by me.
                        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Meineke installed a muffler on my old Tempo. The next day, I was driving home from school, and it fell off almost all the way and was holding on by a thread. I drove it home like that, all alone and not sure what to do. Dad took it off when I got home.

We took it to Farm and Fleet and they put it back on, the right way.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

And people wonder why I spend the few extra bucks to take my cars to a dealership...
                            Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

Quoth Mystic View Post
                              And people wonder why I spend the few extra bucks to take my cars to a dealership...
                              Oh, you mean the dealership that refused to replace an obviously stuck front brake caliper because "the brakes are wear parts and the entire system isn't covered"...or the dealership that finger tightened the lugnuts to the tires that my parents, my brother and I drove 20 miles home on?

...Or do you mean the dealership that drained the oil, but neglected to put new in?

They're no better, and there's a reason I only trust 2 mechanics, my dad, and myself. :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X