Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"They didn't give me my free stuff in a timely fashion, so I want more free stuff!"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "They didn't give me my free stuff in a timely fashion, so I want more free stuff!"

Last weekend, my husband and I were in Boerne for their annual Chocolate Walk. It's an event they hold every year on the weekend around Valentine's Day where local businesses hand out chocolate to anyone who has a ticket. Tickets are $15 each. 26 businesses participated, and most of the chocolate is unique/high quality/handmade, so it's a good deal and just a fun experience overall.

Well, we got to one of the stops on our map (a small diner) and went inside, and the lady at the counter told us that there should be someone sitting right outside the front door at a table handing out chocolate for the Chocolate Walk. We found the table, but nobody was at it, so we decided to wait, thinking maybe the person staffing the table just went to the bathroom or something. Moments later another couple came up and was about to go inside the store; I saw that they had the bags for the Chocolate Walk so I told them that the chocolate was being given away out here but that the person staffing the table had stepped away for a moment. The other couple waited maybe 30 seconds before the woman started complaining about "what's taking so long? where are they?" and she sent her husband inside to find out what was going on.

He went in and talked to the clerk inside and came back and told us the person staffing the table just had to step away for a moment and she'd be right back. We had been waiting maybe a minute total at this point. The wife started getting very huffy and agitated and said they should go inside and demand a free beer for their trouble.

Seriously? You're basically getting free chocolate here...and we didn't even have to wait that long. Fortunately, the person staffing the table showed up moments after the wife said she wanted a free beer; good for them, since they shut up after they got their chocolate, and good for us, 'cuz I was really close to telling her where she could shove her chocolate.

I'm afraid to think what she told those businesses who gave her chocolate she didn't like. (I'm not a fan of white chocolate myself)
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

My hometown used to do this....I miss it

Comment

Where did it come from, this attitude of "I didn't get what I wanted, so gimme free stuff"? I've seen it repeatedly in stories on this site, but it never would have occurred to me to demand this. Who started this nonsense?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
          Where did it come from, this attitude of "I didn't get what I wanted, so gimme free stuff"? I've seen it repeatedly in stories on this site, but it never would have occurred to me to demand this. Who started this nonsense?
          Business motivational speakers with "customer service" as their primary topic.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
            Companies doing everything in their power to retain customers.

Customer spends $5 Monday, but is unhappy with something. Management says no way, customer leaves. Profit: $5.
            Customer spends $5 Monday, but is unhappy with something. Management gives them some free thing worth $1, customer comes back Tuesday and spends another $5. Profit: $9.

Makes sense for an individual store that relies on return business, but the problem is when customers come to expect this as "just good business" from every store.
            » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

Quoth KabeRinnaul View Post
              Customer spends $5 Monday, but is unhappy with something. Management says no way, customer leaves. Profit: $5.
              Customer spends $5 Monday, but is unhappy with something. Management gives them some free thing worth $1, customer comes back Tuesday and spends another $5. Profit: $9.
              The above is the fictional version told by CS motivational speakers. The real life version is below.

Customer 1 spends $5 Monday, but is unhappy with something. Management says no way, customer leaves. Profit: $5.

Customer 2 spends $5 Monday, but is unhappy with something and pitchs a fit worthy of a two-year-old. Management gives them some free thing worth $7. Loss: $2.

Customer 2 spends $5 Tuesday, but is unhappy with something and pitchs a fit worthy of a two-year-old. Management gives them some free thing worth $7. Loss: $2.

Customer 2 spends $5 Wednesday, but is unhappy with something and pitchs a fit worthy of a two-year-old. Management gives them some free thing worth $7. Loss: $2.

Customer 3 comes in on Friday to buy the $5 item, and finds the price has been raised to $8 to offset customer 2's business. Customer 3 goes to another store.

Soon, the store closes.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Crap.. how did I miss that? I live in downtown S.A.
                I will never go to school!

Comment

Working...
                X