This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE

The boss is coming in from another city, and we'll know by either Thurs / Fri who's getting cut for sure.

In other news: BF & I are moving in with my family. Our lease here is up & I didn't want to sign a new lease if there's a possibility that I'm getting laid off. The rent will definitely be WAY cheaper, though most of our stuff is going into storage.

Comment

Quoth scary cary View Post
      BF & I are moving in with my family. Our lease here is up & I didn't want to sign a new lease if there's a possibility that I'm getting laid off. The rent will definitely be WAY cheaper, though most of our stuff is going into storage.
      Sell, Mortimer, sell!

Putting furniture in storage is one of the biggest mistakes IMO people make in "downsizing". If you can sell it, even at a huge loss, it's usually worth it; consider how much in fees, potential damage, and headaches you'll avoid if you get rid of the stuff.

Comment

I agree. Sell, not store.
        Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
          Sell, Mortimer, sell!

Putting furniture in storage is one of the biggest mistakes IMO people make in "downsizing". If you can sell it, even at a huge loss, it's usually worth it; consider how much in fees, potential damage, and headaches you'll avoid if you get rid of the stuff.
          Unless, of course, you have heirlooms, antiques, and things that you just couldn't replace cheaply. Or if you can be pretty certain that you'll be needing it again long before the fees add up to more than it's worth (or can be replaced for).

Generic, no-memories-attached furniture and basic household items can be replaced pretty cheaply from garage sales & Craigs List. Great-grandma's dining room table that came across the country in a covered wagon can't.

Just sayin'.

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

BF & I are at odds about selling vs storing.

We don't plan on staying longer than 3 months. That's roughly $150 in storage fees. I don't think I can replace a TV, an entertainment center, a big comfy couch, a desk, a bookcase, and a new desktop computer for the cash I'd get from selling all the stuff.

He would like for us to stay a little longer & save up for a house or a move to a different city (which we've been thinking/talking about for at least 2 years).

Comment

UPDATE #4 (or is it 5?)

A different CW quit, so now my direct CW is switching to a different branch. I am safe for now but I won't stop looking. This has definitely soured me on working for small businesses.

I'm considering going to work part time in retail, someplace where I won't have to fold anything, and try my hand at freelance writing. The stress of this place doesn't justify the wages.

Comment

Quoth scary cary View Post
                I don't think I can replace a TV, an entertainment center, a big comfy couch, a desk, a bookcase, and a new desktop computer for the cash I'd get from selling all the stuff.
                Do you have a trustworthy and insured relative who could babysit the gear?

Comment

Working...
                X