This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Perspective, Please

What is it with the absolute impatience of people who are on vacation? All day yesterday I had people coming up to my register who had been waiting in line for no longer than ten minutes at the most, being extremely huffy and pissy about having had to stand in line for so long. Oh, you had to stand in line for seven or eight minutes? Well guess what, I've been standing here behind this register for ten HOURS, and I'll be standing behind it for three hours more, and I'm not rolling my eyes and sighing heavily and making screwed up faces at YOU. You're outside enjoying the beautiful summer day, taking it easy, enjoying your weekend, your vacation. It's not like you're in a hurry to get to work or a meeting or an appointment. Meanwhile I'm stuck back here. I haven't had anything to eat in more than five hours. You're about to get the food you had to wait just ten minutes for. So why in hell are you the one with the huge attitude?

Made me always wonder why if they're that much in a hurry then why in the world are they in the store to begin with?

Comment

Amen! I NEVER go shopping or grab fast food when I am in a hurry to get to work or school. I will just go without and go shopping another time. People are idiots.
      My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Well, the thing is I work at an amusement park. There are lines everywhere. People stand in line for as much as an hour for some rides, and then bitch about standing in line ten minutes for food. I mean, they obviously aren't going anywhere, except to go sit on a bench or something. I know standing in lines isn't exactly fun, but come on. You're at an amusement park. Chill out.

I agree with you guys though, if I run into a fast food place or a store I never just assume I'm going to be in and out. If there is a line and I choose to stand in it then I realize I might be standing for awhile. If you get in a line that is ten people deep then don't huff and puff at ME because you had to wait so long. I'm not exactly thrilled to be standing here taking your order, I'd rather be at home sitting on my couch eating cookies. Besides, the longer you wait for something the more you'll appreciate it when it finally comes

Comment

Damn, if I'm at an amusement park, it means I HAVE THE DAY OFF!!! I have no problem waiting if I have nowhere else to be and it gets me to something fun or yummy
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I walked out of Tim Hortons last week... I should know better to go into this particular store, as there service is lousy, but it was the closest one on the way to work, I was running late, and I needed food.

I was next in-line to be served, with about 15 people behind me. I guess I managed to get there just before the rush.

There were at least 10 people milling about beind the counter, including the manager. Two people on cash: one helping a couple of women sort out what bagels they wanted, so the slowness there wasn't her fault, but the other one was rearranging mostly-full coffee pots - for a good five minutes! Since I was already late for work and I had no idea how long the coffee-rearrangment would last, I walked out. At the Tim's I usually go to they have one person keeping the coffee pots full and acting as a runner while the other takes orders and handles the cash.

At least I didn't get stuck with one of those people who take my coffee order and then start making new coffee, while I watch several of the people who were lined up behind be get their coffee at the other cashier while I wait... grrr
            There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

Hell, even on days where I'm scheduled to work/have to be somewhere, I never hurry. Wanna know my secret? I leave wherever I'm going extremely early, so I have the time to browse!

Oh, wait, that makes SENSE!
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Most of the time we cashiers don't have runners, since even if there are extra people they would rather stand around. So we're responsible for preparing the meals and getting the drinks and all that. Sometimes it takes awhile, especially if somebody's order is pretty big.

A couple of weeks ago I had a woman order a corndog and then asked for a cup of water. So I gave her the corndog and then realized we were out of courtesy cups for the water so I had to go into the back and bring out some more. Took maybe a minute or two. I came back out and the woman was gone. Hadn't paid for her corndog. So now I ring people up before I serve them.

Comment

There's a McDonald's near the BART station where I catch my bus. I've eaten there a couple of times when I'm really early for my bus. Occasionally, I use the bathroom (seriously, BART restrooms, !). Normally, if I use the restroom at a business, I buy something. I figure I should at least reimburse them for the cost of water, paper products and soap. But this McDonald's just sucks.

A couple of weeks ago, I used the restroom, then went up to the counter to order. I had a little less than ten minutes to get something and cross the street to the bus stop. I stood there for three minutes (I double-checked my watch), no one else was at the counter, there were a couple of cars in drive-thru, there was a full crew, and no one, not even one of the two managers, could bother to acknowledge my presence, much less take my order. I left. This happened again about a week later.

I've reached the point that I just don't even bother. If I use the restroom, I'm hungry and I have the time, I'll wait. Otherwise, forget it, and thanks for the use of the facilities.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Hmmmmm. It now makes sense why my mom (normally a patient person) was so aggrivated/frustrated Saturday night by the Fair traffic and I (not normally as patient as she normally is) was willing to wait it out.

She goes back to teaching tomorrow after a summer off (although one taking care of my grandma).

I was in the middle of an unheard of THREE days off in a row for the holiday. I would have gladly sat in traffic for another hour to get back to the Fair. Instead we decided to get pizza and a movie. Not that I minded *that* much though.

Comment

I detest people who complain about waiting in line. This is a persistent problem at my library. I feel like telling the complainers to purchase their materials from Amazon if waiting in line 10 minutes is such a hassle. They don't seem to understand the concept of free stuff= long lines.

Next week is my last week as a public librarian. I am moving on to far better things. The miserable, impatient patrons will feel my wrath before I leave!

Comment

Quoth Sableonblonde View Post
                        ...and I'm not rolling my eyes and sighing heavily and making screwed up faces at YOU.
                        I do. But I guess that's just me.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                        ~Clerks

Comment

Working...
                        X