This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do i look like? a tour guide

Some people do not seem to be aware of how supermarkets work, some people seem to think we are each persons waiters!

I had one woman who gave me a list of things she needed, i assumed she wanted to know where they were, but as i left to show her, she stood there as if she expected me to grab them for her

And one old man (who looked and sounded like the old man in family guy, norbert i think, who loves cris) said (in one word) Doyouknowwherethesquashisnevermindifitisnthereupro blydontstockiti'llgosomewhereelse. I didnt move or speek during that, not suckky but Wha?

Quoth Wyte View Post
    I had one woman who gave me a list of things she needed, i assumed she wanted to know where they were, but as i left to show her, she stood there as if she expected me to grab them for her
    The audacity of some people!!!

Quoth Wyte View Post
    And one old man (who looked and sounded like the old man in family guy, norbert i think, who loves cris)
    My sources say "Herbert".
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We used to have a lot of people come in the front door, hand me their list and expect me to shop for them. Reasons would include "I"m sick, get these things for me", "I'm vomiting and can't shop", "I need these"(we had a lot of those people) and "I can't read".

When I asked the "I can't read" lady who wrote the list and she said she did, I told her then I believe she can read and I didn't have anyone to shop for her anyway. The sick and vomiting people were certainly healthy enough to argue with me and when I sent for a motorized cart for them, it was refused both times and they shopped without incident. The "I need these" people were told shopping for them wasn't a service we offered but I would be happy to direct to an aisle if there is something they can't find.

Is there a country where grocery stores shop for their customers? These people would get pissed when we shouldn't shop for them. We do help blind or disabled people but even they come along with the associate on the shopping, they don't start setting up camp by self checkout waiting for us to do their bidding.

P.S. I'm not heartless, I eyed the "sick" people carefully before not buying their story. Hey, if you really can't read I'll help too, but don't tell me you wrote the list yourself but you can't read.
      "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
      George Carlin

Comment

I have had the joy of being asked to be a "assistant" for on older lady who needed help shopping. she was using one of the MartCart motorized carts. It was real buisy in the front end at the time and instead of bagging or collecting carriages I got to wander the store for about an hour and 15-20 min. helping her. About 3/4 the way thru her trip she decided that she wanted to walk but have the mart cart handy in case she got tired. So the last 20 minutes or so i got to ride around the store in the cart following her. I got a ton of strange looks as I am(19 yo, perfectly healthy) following an older lady in a motorized cart.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
          I have had the joy of being asked to be a "assistant" for on older lady who needed help shopping. she was using one of the MartCart motorized carts. It was real buisy in the front end at the time and instead of bagging or collecting carriages I got to wander the store for about an hour and 15-20 min. helping her. About 3/4 the way thru her trip she decided that she wanted to walk but have the mart cart handy in case she got tired. So the last 20 minutes or so i got to ride around the store in the cart following her. I got a ton of strange looks as I am(19 yo, perfectly healthy) following an older lady in a motorized cart.
          that's pretty awesome.

Comment

Quoth Whyme View Post

Is there a country where grocery stores shop for their customers?
            I know that some supermarkets have shopping services whereby you send in your order (through their website, I guess, or fax) and they will collect the items and charge to your card, either to be picked up or (probably more often) delivered. I've never heard of any store doing your shopping while you stand around the front of the store and wait...

As for "I can't read but I wrote the list myself"...

Personally, if I'm too sick to actually shop, I'm too sick to drive to the store and wait for someone else to do my shopping. And if I'm vomiting, I'm in bed with a bucket and the remote...
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Yeah, major grocery stores around here have "online shopping." You can even get alcohol, but I'm pretty sure they'd check that the person they delivered it to was over 18. I've never been asked to do someone's shopping, but if I was, I'd definitely tell them to go to our website and we'd get right on it.
              Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
              Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
              <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                I know that some supermarkets have shopping services whereby you send in your order (through their website, I guess, or fax) and they will collect the items and charge to your card, either to be picked up or (probably more often) delivered.
                My store does that. I got to be a shopper today*. It was fun.

*I should hop over to GWC and start a thread.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

We used to have a lot of people come in the front door, hand me their list and expect me to shop for them. Reasons would include "I"m sick, get these things for me", "I'm vomiting and can't shop", "I need these"(we had a lot of those people) and "I can't read".
                  If you are so sick and vomiting that you cannot do your own shopping, then what are you even doing in the store?

I mean, it did take some energy to get there.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

WRONG! YOU SHOULD DO THEIR SHOPPING FOR THEM! THAT'S WHAT SERVICE PEOPLE ARE THERE FOR!

No, I haven't gone crazy...seriously, do their shopping for them! Just happen to every single time load up the trolley with the most expensive item on their list. They'll soon get the idea and go off to do their own shopping.

Comment

Working...
                    X