This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TNT View Post
    Yes... and it can also be said that I have no interest in cooking, so why should I pay for people who want the Food Channel? (If, in fact, I had a cable bill, but that's besides the point.)
    If you're expecting an argument from me, you're going to be disappointed. I agree with your statement as much as the one I made, although I hear ESPN is quite expensive, and what really drives up the cost of basic cable.

The only thing I really care about is the movie stations (which I do have to pay for), Comedy Central (gotta have my South Park), Futurama and Family Guy reruns on Cartoon Network, and sometimes I like to catch old 80s reruns on Nick at Nite and TV Land. Maybe a few others. If I'd end up having to pay for those, so be it. I don't think everyone else should have to pay for my channels anymore than I think I should have to pay for everyone else's.

Some of the channels I could do without:

ESPN (Does ESPN2 still exist? I never really cared enough to pay attention)

Golf (Why do we need a channel just for golf? Isn't that a "sport", which should be carried on ESPN?)

The "I hate men" channel, aka Lifetime (but my wife would have a fit, so I guess I'd be stuck with that one either way. )

The religious channels, not for any Fratching-related arguments, but simply because I have no interest in watching them.

MTV (Why do they still call it "Music Television" anyway?)

The shopping channels (do people really still buy from those? I'm surprise the internet hasn't killed them off.)
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

A la carte programming would be great! There are only a select few channels I watch on a regular basis: Sci-Fi Channel, Spike (mainly just CSI and Star Trek reruns), Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, Food Network, etc. However I like a change of pace sometimes, so I like having the package include channels I don't watch as frequently: TV Land, Nick-at-Night, The Weather Channel, HGTV, etc. I just wish I could swap out channels I never watch, like ESPN, for channels I'd be more apt to watch, like The Science Channel.
      The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I'd love to have a-la-carte as well. I counted through the channels I've got now and I don't watch half of them. Mostly the religious (not interest) and Spanish (can't understand 'em) channels. The only time I watch ESPN (or ESPN2, yes it's still there Mike) is when the NMSU Aggies are playing, otherwise, meh. You can always do with a couple of news channels, too. And when was the last time that MTV played a video?

I mainly want the a-la-carte simply because there is one channel that I really, really want: BBC America. We've got one channel that Comcast rotates "preview" channels on and they will consistently leave Noggin or the NFL channel on for weeks. When they switch it to BBC America, 3-4 days! Jerks.
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
          BBC America.
          I was watching that last night. Top Gear. I love that show!
          I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth aurelemsrealm View Post
            A la carte programming would be great!
            <snip>
            I just wish I could swap out channels I never watch, like ESPN, for channels I'd be more apt to watch, like The Science Channel.
            The cable networks where I am have the channels my family wants spread out over their options. To get everything we want, we have to get the mega-deluxe-ultra-premium option.

Unfortunately, we only one one or two from each option set. We're interested in something between a quarter and a third of what they offer.

If only they had all the documentary/science channels collected in one package, it'd be much easier for us.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              The cable networks where I am have the channels my family wants spread out over their options. To get everything we want, we have to get the mega-deluxe-ultra-premium option.

Unfortunately, we only one one or two from each option set. We're interested in something between a quarter and a third of what they offer.

If only they had all the documentary/science channels collected in one package, it'd be much easier for us.
              This is exactly my issue. To get G4, BBC America and VH1 Classic (although they are getting as bad as VH1 and MTV about not showing music) I have to shell out for the premium package. I have 200+ channels and watch maybe ten, five or six on a regular basis.

And I can see the point about 'a la cart' being ultimately more expensive for people with a large number of channels, I would like to see something like a 'pic-n-mix' option, where you pay a set price for any ten or fifteen channels of your choice. Certain channels would be exempt from being picked, like ESPN, and you would pay premium for those.

I'm tired of subsidizing other people's viewing habits because I have a conscience, and don't like downloading shows illeagly from the net. I am willing to take the chance that some of the channels I watch will be cancelled, because I believe that the shows that (I think) are worth watching will survive somewhere.
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

The only channels I need are the ESPNs, (They show Champions League matches, imagine it as a all star thing for soccer) Fox Soccer Channel, GOLTV, Setanta, Comedy Central, and Cartoon Network.

I'm sure there are thousands of people who want to have the a la carte style.
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  If you're expecting an argument from me, you're going to be disappointed. I agree with your statement as much as the one I made, although I hear ESPN is quite expensive, and what really drives up the cost of basic cable.

The only thing I really care about is the movie stations (which I do have to pay for), Comedy Central (gotta have my South Park), Futurama and Family Guy reruns on Cartoon Network, and sometimes I like to catch old 80s reruns on Nick at Nite and TV Land. Maybe a few others. If I'd end up having to pay for those, so be it. I don't think everyone else should have to pay for my channels anymore than I think I should have to pay for everyone else's.

The shopping channels (do people really still buy from those? I'm surprise the internet hasn't killed them off.)
                  Let's start at the bottom: Ralph Roberts, the founder of Comcast, says one of his biggest regrets was having to sell the QVC shopping channel. That channel was, and still is, a cash cow. You'd be shocked at the viewership and the average dollars spent per viewer.

I'm not looking for an argument from anybody, at least not on this subject. (I get enough of that on forums dedicated to cable business.)

It's not technically true that anyone subsidizes anyone else's channels. Alas, it all goes back to the economics of the cable business. It's not that it's too complex for the average person here to understand... it's that it would take a book to explain it.

The short version is this: anybody who thinks cable is profitable business never owned stock in a cable company.
                  I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Quoth TNT View Post
                    Let's start at the bottom: Ralph Roberts, the founder of Comcast, says one of his biggest regrets was having to sell the QVC shopping channel. That channel was, and still is, a cash cow. You'd be shocked at the viewership and the average dollars spent per viewer.
                    No, I wouldn't. I've read Gravekeeper's posts.

My solution to high cable bills was rather basic. No cable for me. Why should I pay to have my intelligence insulted?

Comment

Bumping this because BTN's first football game was Appalachian State beating Michigan in about the biggest upset in the history of sports (or at least that's how it's being portrayed)

I bet the OP is getting buried in irate calls demanding his company come to the bargaining table. Am I right?
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yep... all this is really dumb on the networks end who are expecting big dollars from the cable/sat companies for their one meager channel. And honestly... the NFL Network really isn't that good either. Outside of the preseason games and their six exclusive regular season games the channel is pretty skipable. Hell their own people can't even get team names right. A few nights ago I was watching their news program when the guy on the show called the Chicago Bears the "Chicago Black Socks."

Oh, and their "High Def" channel isn't much to brag about. About half the games that they claim are being broadcasted in HD cut in and out of HD. Its very annoying to have it cut off in the middle of a freakin play like it did during the Patriots vs Giants preseason game.... Patriots on the 1 yard line. Me enjoying the game in High Def Widescreen yada yada yada. Suddenly the screen goes black. I stare right at my TV praying that its just a simple quick drop of video on the cable line. And I wait... and wait....... and WAIT. Suddenly the video comes back on in fuzzy fugly looking standard def RIGHT AFTER THE PATRIOTS HAVE SCORED THE TOUCHDOWN.

Good network eh?
                        New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                        New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

Quoth Demolition Man View Post
                          Suddenly the video comes back on in fuzzy fugly looking standard def RIGHT AFTER THE PATRIOTS HAVE SCORED THE TOUCHDOWN.
                          Damn. I'd be hollerin'. You. Just. Don't. Do. That.
                          I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            Bumping this because BTN's first football game was Appalachian State beating Michigan in about the biggest upset in the history of sports (or at least that's how it's being portrayed)

I bet the OP is getting buried in irate calls demanding his company come to the bargaining table. Am I right?
                            Actually no, I was buried in calls today because assholes were mad that the local NBC affiliate pre-empted the final round of the PGA championship for the Jerry Lewis Telethon. I mean, I can see how that would be upsetting to golf fans, but calling in complaining that your game of rich dudes hitting a ball all around creation was replaced by people begging for money to keep kids from dying pretty much makes you the biggest douchebag possible.

Also, during the Pirates game the local Fox Sports affiliate was running a number for people to call (not saying what it was) and it was like 1-800-bigten or something like that for people to yell at their cable company to carry BTN.

Sadly, the flaw in that plan is that it was during a Pirates game so almost no one saw it.
                            "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post

no one's going to complain over a $1 increase.
                              I wonder what color the sky is on his world.
                              I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X