This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday saga

At my job (collections department for an insurance agency) we are bound by privacy laws. That means we can't disclose certain info and we also need to verify other info to make sure we are speaking to the person we think we are speaking to. Easy, right? *pffft*

Scene:
    This morning

Characters:
    Me:
    SD: Sucky Dude
    Sup: Super Supervisor (tm) comic books forthcoming

Incoming call.
    I do the standard greeting, asking for the claim number. SD doesn't have it. I am able to find it by looking up name and state, with much grumbling from him. He complains about the phone calls he's been getting. I see in the notes he refused to verify info the day previously so my coworker refused to discuss the claim (as we should). He grudgingly gives up address and ph#, griping the whole time.

Me: and, Date of Birth please
    SD: You don't need that! I'm not telling you.
    me: Yes, I do. It is part of the verification and for privacy reasons.
    SD: Well, I'm not giving it I know you don't need it.
    me: It's the law, I need to make sure you are who you say you are before details are discussed

(short interlude where he tells me he just gave address and ph# and I inform him his neighbor or his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend could both have that info, we need more)

SD: You don't have that info anyway so I'm not giving it to you.
    Me: You need all of that info at the DMV to get a license, so I assure you even if we didn't have it initially, we have access to it, sir. (Once I break out the Sir, he's getting nowhere - and true, I didn't have that info.....yet)

SD continues to blow hot air, complaining about the calls and how it's harassment. I assure him it's a valid claim and would be happy to discuss it with him once he verifies DOB. Doesn't do it, so I induce him to hang up on me by telling him I will do nothing more for him without that info. Three fricking words. Month, day, year. Sheesh!

So I ran our data search and get his DOB, SS# and DL# (be very scared what info is out there about you btw).

Of course that's not the end of the story - those are a dime a dozen. Along with the incoming, we have an outbound dialer which was turned on shortly after this.

The. very. first. call. I got was to HIM! I recognized the name immediately and did a "Can I speak to.....oh, sorry. This is a computer dialer, have a nice day!" and got off the phone. I really should have tried to talk to him, but I know it would have gone nowhere - although it would be fun to tell him the last 4 of his social and hear his blood pressure go through the roof.

Twenty minutes after that coworker gets a screaming man spouting about harassment phone calls and he's getting a lawyer and so on and so forth. Of course, even if we *would* we *couldn't* fix those calls for him because he refused to give his name!
    FTR, this guy was involved in a car accident with one of our customers and either didn't have insurance or refused to give his info, so we are contacting him to make payment arrangements. Unfortunately, we can't request driver's license suspension in his state but he is slated for a collection agency tomorrow. Over $560.

When relaying this (having his inbound call and then getting the outbound to him directly after) to Sup - her immediate reaction was "you're buying a lotto ticket this weekend, right?"
    (We have hundreds if not thousand + people on the dialer and there were 14 agents logged in at that time. The chances of me getting him twice in a row like that are very low.)

I understand people being protective of their info. But HE called us, and I was the SECOND person to tell him we will not discuss the issue without some basic info. Trust me dude, if I decided to go into the illegal biz of identity theft, the people I deal with on a daily basis are hardly people whose identities are worth it!

Quoth Reyneth View Post
    (We have hundreds if not thousand + people on the dialer and there were 14 agents logged in at that time. The chances of me getting him twice in a row like that are very low.)
    You have mad skills, then.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Info online.

Quoth Reyneth View Post
      So I ran our data search and get his DOB, SS# and DL# (be very scared what info is out there about you btw)
      Just knowing how to use Google intelligently will let you find,

My address of residence.

My birth date.

My girl friend's name.

The exact location of my cabin up north (with overhead image from Google Maps).

Scary indeed.

Comment

Scaaary. BTW, someone try to find me. I wanna see how many Capital One refs I can get on the phone who are willing to accept that I WILL pay. (Loooong story. Suffice to say, the [I suspect, Indian call center] didn't want to accept that I CAN and WILL pay, but wanted me to make a payment over the phone. Can't do that, sorry. Insert time three. Etc.)
        Purveyor of all chickeny goodness, and chicken ninja of the highest grade!
        "With it's indiscriminate slaughter of organic tissue, nothing can survive." - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

I love the "I am getting a lawyer" line! Customers seriously thinks it scares companies. Especially if they are delinquent or in collections on something.

1. YOU owe US money.

2. Lawyers cost MONEY.

3. We have lawyers too.

My favorite are the ones that say they already have a lawyer. My favorite response:
          "Just one?"

Comment

Costs

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
            I love the "I am getting a lawyer" line! Customers seriously thinks it scares companies. Especially if they are delinquent or in collections on something.

1. YOU owe US money.

2. Lawyers cost MONEY.

3. We have lawyers too.

My favorite are the ones that say they already have a lawyer. My favorite response:
            "Just one?"

If I have it right, it costs $100 to file a lawsuit in the states. And you don't get that money back if you lose or the judge throws out the case for being a waste of the court system.

Comment

Knock Knock
              Who's there?
              HIPAA
              Hipaa who??

We cannot release that information if you don't already know.

Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Quoth Foxglove8778 View Post
                Knock Knock
                Who's there?
                HIPAA
                Hipaa who??

We cannot release that information if you don't already know.

OK, I am totally using that one at work tomorrow! I love it.

And re: they lawyers? ITA everything other said. Seriously. They threaten that? Ooooh, dude. Here's the fax# and address to send a letter of representation. Otherwise we'll keep bugging YOU. There are at least 25 lawyers on staff on my floor of my (small) building alone. I'm sooooo scared of your threat. Not. Besides, YOU were the one driving without insurance. That's illegal, bub. Do you *really* want this one to go to court? If your license hadn't been suspended before that point, say "hi" to Paris for me, mmmmkay?

Not to mention all the lawyers will do is charge you $$ to set up a payment plan and then charge you $$ when they have to harass you because you're not paying it. Guess what? We do all of that, for free!

Comment

Working...
                X