This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staggering feats of common sense!

Let's play a game, shall we? Let's pretend that you're a short, skanky old lady with big brown cow eyes, dressed in an outfit that looks, I swear, like you work for Pizza Hut -- black polo shirt, black cap, etc.

Now. Let's pretend that it's 2am and you're looking for a friend who may or may not be staying at a local hotel.

What do you do?

A.) Call the hotel, give the name of the friend, and ask to be connected.

B.) Call the hotel, give the room number of the friend, and ask to be connected.

C.) Call the friend directly via cell phone and tell him to open the door because you're out in the parking lot and it's starting to rain.

D.) Show up at the hotel and work your way from back to front upstairs, then front to back downstairs knocking on every door and waking up every last goddamn person staying at the hotel, in addition to scaring some women traveling alone half to death.

Let's all hum the Jeopardy theme while you think about it.

(Doo-dee-doo-doo-doo-dee-doo *pause for breath* doo-dee-doo-dee-DOO-deedoodeedoodee...)

That's right! You show up at the hotel and knock on every door, waking up every last goddamn person staying at the hotel, in addition to scaring some women traveling by themselves half to death!

In addition, when the desk clerk tells you to get away from that door right now, you argue with him and tell him that this is the room your friend, with a very male name, is staying in despite the fact that the clerk knows a little old lady is staying in that room and does not drive the motorcycle parked outside the door. You keep telling the closed door that the motorcycle belongs to said friend, and he should open up and let you in.

What a bizarre experience. This morning around 2, my front desk phone began to ring with guests complaining that someone was knocking on their door. I found a short, old, skanky woman with cow eyes that rolled back and forth as she talked and a big cut on her nose, disguised as a Pizza Hut employee (it had everything but the logo) knocking on the door of a little old lady who's been here since yesterday. She insisted her friend was staying here although she didn't know what room, and she argued with me when I told her to get off the property. After some bantering, I told her I was going to check to see if I had anyone staying here by the name of her friend, but when I came back she was gone and I didn't see her again for the rest of the night. Although, I did have to answer a few more calls from various women who'd been scared -- and rightly so -- by a strange person knocking on their door in the middle of the night. I can only hope there aren't complaints about it.

One thing you can say about the Dreadful Inn as opposed to the Blah Inn where we all used to work is that fewer crazy people actually stay here. They just wander around in the parking lot and harass the people who do stay here. At the Blah Inn, the crazy people actually booked rooms. Thankfully, another trait about the Dreadful Inn is coming into play though. The people who stay here tend to be considerably nicer than those who stay at the Blah Inn. Had this occurred at the Blah Inn, within minutes there would have been twenty requests for refunds coming in over the fax machine, plus possibly a death threat leveled against me for letting it happen, not unlike the time a man threatened to kill me because his wife tripped on the lobby staircase at the Blah Inn.

Oh well. Other highlights from the 16 hour shift I'm reaching the end of now include a guest whose television didn't work until he plugged the iron into the same outlet, and a light fixture that exploded and sprayed glass on me when I was trying to change the bulb, and the very nice guest in that room who helped me pick all the glass out of their sink.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

omg... thats too funny... maybe she was a really stupid stripper (scary thought) or something....

Comment

I would have called the cops But that's me. Nowadays you have no idea what nutcases are lurking around at night.

Comment

If she wasn't gone by the time I got back out, calling the cops was next on my agenda.

Comment

That's right! You show up at the hotel and knock on every door, waking up every last goddamn person staying at the hotel, in addition to scaring some women traveling by themselves half to death!
          I'm sorry, you didn't phrase that in the form of a question.

I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I haven't stayed in a motel for a while, but I don't think that I've ever been in one that didn't lock all the doors except the main entrance after a certain time at night. The last one I stayed at locked everything but the main lobby entrance but the guests could use their key card to enter any door at any time. Maybe this might be something to consider for your safety as well as your guests.
            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
              I haven't stayed in a motel for a while, but I don't think that I've ever been in one that didn't lock all the doors except the main entrance after a certain time at night. The last one I stayed at locked everything but the main lobby entrance but the guests could use their key card to enter any door at any time. Maybe this might be something to consider for your safety as well as your guests.
              This is just your average motel where the room doors open directly onto the outside. At the Blah Inn, there were interior hallways. We do lock the lobby doors after a certain time of night.

Comment

All the hotels with interior hallways that I have stayed at lock the main lobby doors after a certain time but you can use you room key card to open them. Any of the side entrances were always locked but you could open them with you room key also. The only exception to this i have ever seen was in Boston and we were staying at a hotel near Fenway. The game got out after they normally locked the doors but when large crowds of guests from the game began to come back several hotel staff members stood by and held the doors open. it wouldn't have made a difference because once one guest opened the door the others would have just let everyone else in.

Comment

Hauntedheadnc, I feel your pain.

At my hotel, we are supposed to lock the doors at night, but I never do when I work. The owner is too cheap to put key card locks on the entrance doors (they're 400 bucks a piece), so any time anyone wants to get in, they have to ring a doorbell, and I have to get up and flip a switch to let them in. Plus, this only works on the main entrance. Our regulars who check in late just park and come in the back entrances. It's all horribly inconvienent for the guests as well as the night clerks, who have to get up 200 times all the while trying to complete 6 hours of paperwork (our audit is horribly complicated and mostly hand done). I've had to deal with your situation myself, but it's rare. Luckily, we have a security guard at night who constantly patrols the building.

Comment

Damn!! I chose "A".

I NEVER win anything!!

Mike
                    Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                      I NEVER win anything!!
                      Congrats!!!!! You've just won comforting pats!!!!!!! :comforting pats: there, there™®
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                        Congrats!!!!! You've just won comforting pats!!!!!!! :comforting pats: there, there™®

Woooo Hooooo!! I WON!! I WON!!

You LIKE me!! You REALLY LIKE me!!

Mike
                        Meow.........

Comment

Quoth JustaCashier View Post
                          Woooo Hooooo!! I WON!! I WON!!

You LIKE me!! You REALLY LIKE me!!

Since you're so enthusiastic, how about a , too?
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                          X