X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Hate Kids

...Department, that is.

I was just thinking of these two stories from my very first retail job. Long, long ago in state far, far… well, okay one state away…

I worked in a department store mainly in Men’s but we were right next to Children’s.

1) A woman and her daughter come in to find a gift for a friend who just had a baby. They wanted something pretty specific that was the current Hot Item for babies. (I didn’t know it at the time but we didn’t carry it.) However, I show them around Children’s looking for it and never finding it. They get really irritated with me ‘cuz they’re “in a hurry” (of course)

I take them up to the cash register where the Children’s manager is and tell her these people are looking for Hot Item and I haven’t been able to find it. So, I’m waiting there behind the register so I can take over for the manager so she can go help and I realize that these “ladies” are pointing at me, whispering behind their hands and laughing. I overhear little snips of conversation and realize that they were making fun of what I was wearing and making sure that I heard. Just to be spiteful because I hadn’t “magically” found what they wanted.

What was I wearing you ask? Black dress pants, cream blouse w/ vest with a black and beige design on it. Oh, and black pumps.

2) A lady comes in really excited because her daughter is coming to town and she gets to see her 4 year old granddaughter for the first time. She’s looking for a special outfit for picture taking and tells me her granddaughter has red hair. Ok. Good place to start.

Me: (showing her my favorite outfits first, naturally) Here is a little overall outfit that is really cute. It’s one of our top sellers.

SC: (looking doubtful) Well it’s cute and all, but she has really red hair.

Me: Oh, okay but this comes in several colors. (Shows her more colors)

SC: Yeah, I don’t think so though. She has really red hair.

Me: Well, there’s more on this rack, how about these?

SC: No, I don’t think so. She had really red hair.

At this point I start thinking, well maybe she just has bad taste. I start showing her clothing that I would NEVER put on a redhead; she turns them down. Then I start to wonder if color isn’t the issue and it’s the price she doesn’t like.

Me: (goes over to clearance rack) Well, these are clearance but there are some really cute things here. How about this?

SC: It’s okay….but she has really red hair.

I show her several more racks until, literally, I have shown here every single item we had in her granddaughter’s size. Each time she responds with “Well it's okay, but she has really red hair.”

Me: I’m sorry but I don’t think I can help you. We’ve looked at pretty much everything here.

SC: (getting mad) But I haven’t found anything yet! You promised to help me look!

Me: I’m really sorry but you have looked at everything we have. There is no more. I can go over some of the racks with you again if you want.

SC: No. But I’m really disappointed with you. How hard can it be to find something for a person with really red hair?!

Me:
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

My little guy has "really red hair" and it's not that difficult to find things for him to wear. It sounds like the grandmother was just nuts.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

geez, i didn't realize hair color affected what styles of clothing you can wear...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
        geez, i didn't realize hair color affected what styles of clothing you can wear...
        In that case, I need to rethink my wardrobe, being a dark blonde and all . . .

What colors should I go with?
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
          In that case, I need to rethink my wardrobe, being a dark blonde and all . . .
          Sorry, you're just out of luck. There's just nothing out there for someone with dark blonde hair.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Funny, I do more matching by eye color if anything. I like brown and green (my eyes are hazel)

Of course my wardrobe is not made up exclusively of those colors. I have to say though, I've never heard of somebody matching clothes to their hair color.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
              Black dress pants, cream blouse w/ vest with a black and beige design on it. Oh, and black pumps.
              So... store dress code?
              Manager dressed relatively similar?
              A slightly upscale shop? Sears/Dillards/whatever?
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

The second part of the story doesn't surprise me; the stereotype is that redheads can't wear any color besides black and green. I'm not a redhead myself, but I've always found this stereotype to be really stupid and I feel for all you redheads out there. Don't listen to the prissy naysayers... wear whatever color you damn please!

I take them up to the cash register where the Children’s manager is and tell her these people are looking for Hot Item and I haven’t been able to find it. So, I’m waiting there behind the register so I can take over for the manager so she can go help and I realize that these “ladies” are pointing at me, whispering behind their hands and laughing. I overhear little snips of conversation and realize that they were making fun of what I was wearing and making sure that I heard. Just to be spiteful because I hadn’t “magically” found what they wanted.
                Wow, parents, way to raise your kid to be a vindictive, gossipy snob.
                "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

So, I’m waiting there behind the register so I can take over for the manager so she can go help and I realize that these “ladies” are pointing at me, whispering behind their hands and laughing. I overhear little snips of conversation and realize that they were making fun of what I was wearing and making sure that I heard.
                  I hate it when people do that, it's just flat-out mean and rude. If they've got somethin' to say, have the courtesy to at least say it your face, instead of snickering behind your back. Obviously, they've got some personal issues there . . .

SC: It’s okay….but she has really red hair.
                  It sounds like this woman is making her granddaughter (whom she's never met in person) to be some sort of freak of nature. Geez, lady, it's not like she's got an extra arm or somethin'.

And plus, what is she going to tell the granddaughter when she grows up?

"I could never find a single outfit for you because you had such red hair!"
                  This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

I have to say though, I've never heard of somebody matching clothes to their hair color.
                    well, some colors don't work so well with some complexions, and redheads tend to have a skin tone that doesn't work so well with certain colors. I'm not a redhead, but yellow and orange make me look slightly ill...

they used to say redheads shouldn't wear pink, i guess because the typical redhead skin tone tends to be really light with pink undertones? but whatever...

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                      Sorry, you're just out of luck. There's just nothing out there for someone with dark blonde hair.
                      Well . . . in that case, I suppose I could just throw everything out of the closet and become a nudist.

That should go over real well at work . . .
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                        Well . . . in that case, I suppose I could just throw everything out of the closet and become a nudist.

That should go over real well at work . . .
                        could you pass it off as a religious requirement?...you know, some religions require women to wear skirts...

Comment

could you pass it off as a religious requirement?...you know, some religions require women to wear skirts...
                          Or not to show their faces/any skin...
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Hmmm . . . there's a thought.

Or, I could say that my religion requires me to go nude one day a week . . .on Wednesdays.
                            Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 09-03-2007, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              So... store dress code?
                              Manager dressed relatively similar?
                              A slightly upscale shop? Sears/Dillards/whatever?
                              Yeah. Actually the chain no longer exists. They were bought out by, I think, Meier and Frank who have since been bought out by Macy's.

As far as the grandmother, I asked the Children's manager what her take on it was and she thought the woman just didn't like our selection. Which is fine, but why couldn't she just say, "I don't think I'll find what I'm looking for here", instead of wasting my time like that.
                              My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Working...
                              X