This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scammer at Kmart

Okay, this is all hearsay because I was stuck back in the cash office and I didn't get to witness it.

Apparently, a man came in with 50 fishing lures he had purchased the day before (they said he had came through my line, as my name was on the receipt, but I don't remember). They were ticketed clearance, but they rang up for a higher amount than they were ticketed for. Instead of the guy getting the price adjustment at the register like an honest person would (and with 50 items - you KNOW there's no way he could have "accidentally" not noticed his high total), he decides to go ahead and purchase the items so he could get double his money back from Michigan's Scanner Law. If you're unfamiliar with it:

Before bringing or joining in an action as provided in section 10(2), within 30 days after purchasing an item, a buyer who suffers loss because the price charged for the item is more than the price stamped on or affixed to the item shall notify the seller in person or in writing that the price charged is more than the price stamped or affixed. The notice shall include evidence of the loss suffered by the buyer. If, within 2 days after the notification, the seller tenders to the buyer an amount equal to the difference between the price stamped or affixed and the price charged, plus an amount equal to 10 times that difference but which is not less than $1.00 or more than $5.00, the buyer is barred from any further recovery for that loss. If the loss is suffered by 1 buyer within 1 transaction on 2 or more identical items, the amount to be tendered by the seller shall be the difference on each item, plus an amount equal to 10 times the difference on a single item but which is not less than $1.00 and not more than $5.00. If the seller does not tender this amount, the buyer may bring or join in an action as provided in section 10(2).

So the guy was probably hoping to make a nice, hefty profit by claiming the bounty for all 50 lures. They think that he used the price scanner to find out that the lures weren't ringing up as marked. Anyway, my two managers gave him a $5.00 bounty and gave him a price adjustment on all of the lures - but told him NO WAY was he getting a bounty payment for every single item he had.

The guy proceeded to pitch a fit, threatened to jump over the counter and kick my manager's ass (who is a WOMAN by the way). So she called 911 on his ass. The cops came and talked to the guy and took down names. The guy threatened to sue Kmart and demanded our district manager's phone number. Also, the same guy apparently tried to pull off the same scam at another Kmart store in a neighboring city.

I'm happy management actually stood up to the guy and realized that he was a lowlife scammer.

***MODS please move to Sucky Customers!! I put this in the wrong forum ***
    My Myspace, add me!

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
    ***MODS please move to Sucky Customers!! I put this in the wrong forum ***
    Done!

Rapscallion

Comment

Michigan has a law like that? I have to move there being I live in Florida, and am not too sure we have something like this here. I do not think we do, being if we did, the K-Marts in South Florida would have all gone bankrupt years ago. In fact, many many places of business would be out of business if this type of stuff was allowed.

Comment

I just want to pay the correct price, nothing higher or lower. If something scans wrong i don't need one for free or whatever the store does. Just an adjustment for the correct price.

Comment

There was a similar law in China at one point, maybe there still is. And on a TV program I saw that there were people who made a living trolling through stores and getting double refunds.

Comment

I think it all started with the TV commercials, like the ones they did for the Bamboo Steamer, or the Ice Creamery. Those had double your money back, and I can only imagine the headaches that caused.

Comment

Personally, I think it's a ridiculous law. I suppose its intent is to prevent stores from purposely overcharging customers in hopes they won't notice? I don't see how a business could last long if they did that, anyway. I don't see why a customer should be entitled to 10 times the difference for what is in all likelihood an honest mistake and a minor inconvenience.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Read it again

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Personally, I think it's a ridiculous law. I suppose its intent is to prevent stores from purposely overcharging customers in hopes they won't notice? I don't see how a business could last long if they did that, anyway. I don't see why a customer should be entitled to 10 times the difference for what is in all likelihood an honest mistake and a minor inconvenience.
                Read the law again. It set a min of $1.00 and a max of $5.00, you don't bankrupt a company with such small amounts, rather it makes the cost to the company incorrect pricing more than the costs of making sure the shelf price and the register price match.

Additional, that $1.00 min puts a real hurt into any scummy company that tries to nickel and dime a little extra profit but bumping up a item by say 5cents think customers will not notice or if they do they will ignore the small difference. Now with the chance to make back some money customers pay more attention to what they are charged at the counter.

Comment

Working...
                X