Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So happy for you that you don't have to wonder how to feed yourself.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So happy for you that you don't have to wonder how to feed yourself.

My coworker was out for an entire pay period due to surgery. She hasn't logged enough hours to qualify for leave or to be able to cash in vacation time, so she's simply out the money. I was in cafe the other day ringing her up when she brought up something about a possible schedule switch between us. She had wanted to trade a shift due to a doctor appt or something, but I couldn't accomodate her, so she was telling me she probably would have to lose the hours.
    Let me interject here that there were 2 or 3 people behind her, but I was ringing her up and she was punching in her PIN as we were talking, and it was not taking any longer than it would have with any other customer. We both always make sure we're not holding up the line.
    Her last statement to me was a bit sarcastic, but I understood she was expressing a worry to me. She remarked she'd have to starve for the next 2 weeks. Quite frankly, she is in a bad situation, and I sincerely told her that the next time I cook a big batch of something, I'll bring her some. I'm at the point of rationing food this month myself, but I do have an income to speak of. She lost a whole paycheck.

Enter the SC: the second my coworker uttered that statement--to me, mind you, not the SC nor anyone else--the SC made the biggest, most obvious eyeroll I have ever seen. I don't know if she didn't believe what my coworker was saying or what, but it was obvious she was displeased. I decided to not even give it any creedence. I was just as polite to Her Highness as anyone else, and my "have a good day" was met with another eyeroll.

So sorry we interjected reality--a reality for millions of Americans--into her charmed life. How dare we invade her princess bubble?[/sarcasm]
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Pardon my French, but what a BITCH!

Comment

You have to sincerely hope that these people eventually find out what it's like. And hopefully when they do, somebody nearby will also offer an eyeroll, so they know what that's like.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post

Enter the SC: the second my coworker uttered that statement--to me, mind you, not the SC nor anyone else--the SC made the biggest, most obvious eyeroll I have ever seen.
        Given my current situation....reading that made me so mad
        How dare that cow eyeroll at her, me thinks she has never had to struggle a day in her life, and if she ever had to, she would be at a compete loss as to what to do

Grrrrrr
        Last edited by Ree; 05-28-2013, 10:59 AM. Reason: Trimmed excessive quote

Comment

And if someone dares eye roll at her, it's suddenly the worse thing to ever happen.
          Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            Her last statement to me was a bit sarcastic, but I understood she was expressing a worry to me. She remarked she'd have to starve for the next 2 weeks. Quite frankly, she is in a bad situation, and I sincerely told her that the next time I cook a big batch of something, I'll bring her some. I'm at the point of rationing food this month myself, but I do have an income to speak of. She lost a whole paycheck.
            First off, much love for you willingness to help your coworker in spite of you own difficulties. That's the sign of a big heart right there, and (deity) love you for it. Your offer to help is a fair bit more than many other people would do.

Suggest to your coworker that there are charities, 'soup kitchens', and food pantries that can help. That's what they're FOR. If you don't know of any or can't find any information in a phone book, many local churches often have services to help with 'difficult' situations. Some can even help with a little cash assistance.

Does this woman not have any friends or family she can ask for help? Surely she isn't living in a complete void?

Oh, and much loathing for the rolly-eyed customer. Some people just have no concept of empathy.
            Last edited by ADeMartino; 05-30-2013, 05:14 PM. Reason: added a thought or two

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
              Does this woman not have any friends or family she can ask for help? Surely she isn't living in a complete void?
              The fiance I moved down to Virginia Beach with/for ended up being an abuser that had managed to more or less isolate me from my family, and in the 8 months I lived with him in Va Beach basically isolated me from everybody except his mother and 3 of his friends and their significant others, so when I managed to finally run away from him I *was* isolated from everybody and had just landed a job and really did not have any contacts that could help me. I also was seriously gunshy about getting to know new people at that time. I had, at one point in time, about $25 a *month* food budget.

So yes, it can happen that someone can have absolutely nobody to ask for help, and be scared out of their skin to actually find someone to ask for help.
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I think she will be ok, just will have to cut back on her food budget. She's not good at eating poor. She told me today I should teach a class.
                ADeMartino, thank you. It sounds strange to me to be praised for that, as I know a great many people who would and do help people like that, and do much more. One example is my friends (a married couple) who sold me their car for $1 (cheaper tax-wise than giving it to me outright) because there was no way I would be able to fix mine nor buy another. It was a sacrifice for them, as they had to start payments on a new one 4 months earlier than they had planned. And that was not the first time they'd done that. I've known people who would pay another's rent without expecting it back. The very least I can do is feed someone.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                X