This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really?

bg: I work at a video Game Store. For those who don't know - there's this free-to-play game called Wizard 101 that kids play. You can buy cards to buy things in game. In my state, these cards are charged sales tax. Dunno why, but corporate is rather large and I'm sure they've hired lawyers to make sure they charge tax on what needs to have tax charged.

So, these two kids come in to buy said Wizard 101 card. They get a $10 card, pay $10.60 after tax, and leave.

I think nothing of it, as this is far from unusual.

Less than a minute later, this mother comes in foaming at the mouth about how its an outrage that we charge sales tax on these cards and wants to return it.

I tell her I have no control over charging sales tax, and go to return the card. (It wouldn't let me post void it, which was sad.) She's raging about how, all over the internet, everyone complains that my store charges sales tax on these cards and no one else does.

Our returns require a phone number, name, and address.

Queue angry mother raging over not giving out her address. I told her I could not process a return without an address, and she gave it. As she leaves she says she's going to Rite Aid where they don't charge sales tax.

....... What I want to know, is why she let the kids buy the card from us in the first place, when she herself told me "everyone" on the internet complains that we charge sales tax. This means she knows we charge sales tax. What'd she expect, me to not charge it because the kids came in to buy the darn thing? It doesn't work that way.

I've never seen those cards not be charged sales tax.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      Nor have I.

Comment

Sounds like this is the first time she's realized there's tax, so of course that has morphed into "But nobody else does it!"

Comment

What an asshole. First of all, Rite Aid is not exempt from sales tax. Second, she threw a fit over 60 CENTS??? Geez.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth midnightaurora View Post

....... What I want to know, is why she let the kids buy the card from us in the first place, when she herself told me "everyone" on the internet complains that we charge sales tax. This means she knows we charge sales tax. What'd she expect, me to not charge it because the kids came in to buy the darn thing? It doesn't work that way.
            Man, that's when I would have realllllly innocently asking her 'oh, really? All those other places dont charge sales tax but we do? Oh wow. So...how come you let them buy the cards from this store then in the first place?'

I used to do that all the time after a long day filled with SC after SC
            SC - 'Your company is a rip off! Everyone warned me not to get insurance with you people! They all warned me!'
            Me, uber innocent voice - 'Oh, ok. Then...how come you still did? '

Used to rile them right up. Idjits.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              At my store we don't. Except on phone cards.

Comment

I know my $30 World of Warcraft Gametime cards are taxed.
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Butt... Butt... Butt... They're FOOD!* And Food shouldn't be taxed!

*Food for thought, that is...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My dad has an answer for this: "These cards are considered bicycle accessories, therefore are taxed." Because, it was the thing to do.. clip a card to the spokes for the bike's tires and go riding. Cool, parent irritating sound and you can be heard a mile away!

I guess I've never noticed if the Pokemon cards were taxed or not, because my son used to love those. I just assumed they were, since they weren't a necessity.
                    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                      My dad has an answer for this: "These cards are considered bicycle accessories, therefore are taxed." Because, it was the thing to do.. clip a card to the spokes for the bike's tires and go riding. Cool, parent irritating sound and you can be heard a mile away!
                      When I was about eight, I learned you could make about the same sound by placing a soda can on the back wheel. A bunch of us kids were riding around on our bikes one summer drinking soda. One of us runs over a soda can and BAM! We discovered a substitute for the old card and clothes pin. It had that same buzz of the card, but had a metal sound along with it, making it far more annoying.
                      Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth midnightaurora View Post
                        I smell a rat. Presumably those cards have an ID number you enter in the game in order to get the value. Is it exposed, or covered in "scratch-off" latex? I wouldn't be surprised if Mom had a laptop with Wi-fi in her car. Kids buy the cards, use them in-game when they get back to the car, then return with furious mom to complain about being "ripped off" by having to pay sales tax. Of course, since the cards have now been used, whoever buys the "returned due to complaint about sales tax" cards will wind up with a worthless piece of plastic. Way to go, mom - teaching your kids to steal.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Items like that are generally not returnable after the codes have been entered -- I cannot speak for Wiz101 cards, but those used on XBOX Live have a scratch-off spot.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Items like that are generally not returnable after the codes have been entered -- I cannot speak for Wiz101 cards, but those used on XBOX Live have a scratch-off spot.
                            The Wiz101 cards at our store have a scratch off spot as well, and they're also not valid until they're run through the system.

How it works at our store, point wise is
                            "If a thing charges tax online (playstation points, nintendo e-shop etc) then there's no tax in the store

If a card charges tax in our store, it doesn't online (XB live/points, wiz 101 etc)
                            Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
                            Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
                            -Unknown Author

Comment

Working...
                            X