This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't tell me! (Avoiding spoilers)

I'm currently going through one of those panicked 'Don't tell me about...' days where I'm trying to avoid a sports result (the Formula One Russian Grand Prix (sufficed to say, don't tell me please ) ). Fortunately I'm at work right now with an awesome coworker friend that 1) doesn't like the sport I like, 2) knows the result but won't tell me, and 3) is telling everyone not to tell me the result. I like my awesome coworker friend

However what's worrying me is that it's 9.45pm here in the UK. I finish at 11pm and am back in at stupid o'clock tomorrow. There will be more people in tomorrow and they all know I'm a huge F1 nut so I know some of them such as R, D and P will want to talk about it with me.

I know though that as long as I can avoid any results, when I get home tomorrow though I'll enjoy the Grand Prix as though I was watching it live.

Films, sports, TV programmes, does anyone else try to avoid spoilers as much as I try to?

My fiance isn't big on zombies so instead of watching The Walking Dead tonight, we watched Leverage on Netflix. So since she'll probably sleep until noon, I'll just watch it On Demand tomorrow morning. Usually I have quite a few people on Facebook who can't keep their mouths shut so it's tough.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

My dad is a HUGE Ame. football fan. For years, he usually worked during the game, so Mom would Tivo it for him to watch once he was off shift. He would threaten people with death if they told him the score/who won/anything. He would purposefully not answer his phone when ANYONE would call (this was before he started texting), he would turn off the sports radio channel on his hour+ long drive home. Yet, more than once, one of his idiot coworkers who were coming in to relieve him would say "Oh man, did you see the game? Can you believe [insert anything here] happened?"
      "People can be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid." from Seize the Night by Dean Koontz

Comment

Quoth retro View Post
        I'm currently going through one of those panicked 'Don't tell me about...' days where I'm trying to avoid a sports result (the Formula One Russian Grand Prix (sufficed to say, don't tell me please ) ).
        someone won, and a whole bunch of people didn't
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

I'm told that there were lots of loud cars that made turns.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I'm told that there were lots of loud cars that made turns.
            "He's making a left turn!"

buubu j arguing with myself jeff dunham: http://youtu.be/KX4NvcPMBrU
            My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
              "He's making a left turn!"

buubu j arguing with myself jeff dunham: http://youtu.be/KX4NvcPMBrU
              That's why I watch F1. They make right turns too. Oval racing does nothing for me. Give me a racetrack any day.

(I have now seen the race by the way)

Comment

Reminds me of something I saw...oh, probably last year by now.

One or other of the morning 'talk shows', I forget which channel, did a segment on spoiler etiquette in the internet age - apparently they had dropped a major one the day before, and their social media pages sort of...detonated as a result.
                Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

The BBC own a lot of the major national radio stations in the UK and one station (Radio 2) were about to talk about the final of a popular British TV show (The Great British Bake-Off). Before they did, they jokingly sounded a warning siren and told anyone who hadn't watched it to switch channels to another BBC radio station.

A lot of people switched over to Radio 1...

...at the exact time that Radio 1 was talking about the final of the Great British Bake-Off.

Whoops.

Comment

Nothing worse than tuning in to watch the highlights of a race or footie match, only to find that the news which was on before has overrun and you get to see the winners standing on the podium...
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Nah. I don't really avoid spoilers. Then again I take a J. Michael Straczynski view of spoilers.

So, ok, you told me X happened. I don't care. How did X happen is the point. B5 did this a lot:

The fall of Centauri Prime
                      G'Kar losing an eye
                      Garibaldi getting shot
                      Garibaldi almost getting shot
                      Garibaldi in general
                      Delenn and Sheridan in general.

Knowing that all these things happen is... well, not a spoiler. What's the lead up to it and consequences of it... that's the important part.

I think sometimes people take the ZOMG SPOILER thing too far. I mean, I once got bitched at for asking "Did you kill Paarthurnax?" on a vidya game forum.

Fact is though, first a Skyrim-newbie wouldn't know who Paarth was, and even if he did, given the context of the game it is no surprise there is an option to kill him.

Also, did you know Kirei Kotomine is a bad guy?
                      Last edited by otakuneko; 10-17-2014, 04:59 PM.
                      Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                        Knowing that all these things happen is... well, not a spoiler. What's the lead up to it and consequences of it... that's the important part.
                        EXACTLY! Thank you! saying *character* dies, tells you nothing really, who did it? Why? was there a betrayal of trust? Accident? Assassin?

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                        I think sometimes people take the ZOMG SPOILER thing too far.
                        especially when people claim *anything* is a spoiler, including anything more than what's shown in trailers even if it's *not* a major plot point. Or is something *decades* old(movie or source material).
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post

EXACTLY! Thank you! saying *character* dies, tells you nothing really, who did it? Why? was there a betrayal of trust? Accident? Assassin?
                          Except... now I'm going to be reading/watching the story with that in mind. You've now colored my viewing experience. Especially if that character dying is a major development.

I don't like spoilers. I want to see/read things on my own and experience it in my own way. Now, if it's massively old material or something I'll never watch (like horror), no biggie. But something like the latest Dresden book? I avoid certain FB feeds and threads until my book shows up in the mail.
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            especially when people claim *anything* is a spoiler, including anything more than what's shown in trailers even if it's *not* a major plot point. Or is something *decades* old(movie or source material).
                            When Titanic was first released, some people bitched about spoilers when other people who had already watched it reported that the ship sank.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              When Titanic was first released, some people bitched about spoilers when other people who had already watched it reported that the ship sank.
                              But I haven't seen that movie yet! However, I did read the book "The Wreck of the Titan" on which the real event is based.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X