This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that was interesting.

Before I zonk out, I just wanted to give y'all an update of my 'the past two weeks'.

As I mentioned here, I finally saw my new neurosurgeon two weeks ago. He's a really nice guy, really knowledgeable...and was really upset when he found out that we'd been getting the brush-off for two months. Apparently, he had no clue.

Last Monday, I was admitted to the ICU to have my shunt externalized (basically, they took a piece of it out, connected it to a tube and connected the tube to a bag that was draining outside of my body). I spent two days in the ICU and I actually wish I could've stayed there the entire time. I loved the nurses there and my room had a gorgeous view of the mountains. The rooms in the ortho-and-spine unit aren't nearly as nice, though I'm told they're being remodeled soon.

After over 72 hours of IV antibiotics to treat my shunt infection, a few culture studies, and a check to make sure my CSF was infection-free, I went into the OR. They removed all of the tubing entirely and put new stuff in on the opposite side from where the infected hardware was. That last step, though, we weren't even sure was going to happen until somewhat the last minute. My shunt didn't seem to actually be draining all that much, and it turned out that there was a reason for it. My old shunt, which was in my right ventricle, had gone so far through that only a few places were draining. So while it *was* working, it just wasn't being allowed to work very well because it was too busy poking me in the frontal lobe.

I got home on Sunday and spent pretty much all day and the next day half-asleep on the couch. I have God-knows-how-many staples in my head and at least 2 dozen more on various places on my torso, my arms are scarred/bruised from the IVs (which blew out and I got fluid overload from it), and I'm wobbling like I'm on a freaking boat. That said, though, I am feeling much better tonight than I have since I got home.

One of the things that my neurosurgeon said when I was in the hospital was that all of this really should have been done by my old neurosurgeon a year ago and we're lucky it never got any worse than it already was. @_@
    Last edited by firecat88; 10-30-2014, 07:05 AM.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Oh Firecat!

*gives very gentle hugs plus chocolate brownies and ice cream* You take care now, cosset yourself and feel better soon, OK?
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Its done now and we are all grateful that you didn't get any worse.

Hope you feel a little more stable soon! x
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I'm so glad you're okay and that things didn't take an awful turn!

Comment

*gently sets down a fire red drake near you* His name is Blaze, he is a protector and very gentle. He loves cuddles.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Wow. I'm glad they caught it when they did. I can't imagine going through all that.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

*huge hugs, with extra cuddles for Blaze* Thanks for your support, prayers, and well-wishes throughout this ordeal, everyone. This past week has been weird and, particularly those first few days after I came home, difficult, but I'm finally awake and alert enough to not need constant supervision. Also, all the bajillion staples all over me come out tomorrow.
              Last edited by firecat88; 11-03-2014, 07:00 PM.
              "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
              X