This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Alaskans in the group?

There's a decent possibility that I'll be getting a job up there this summer working for Holland American Rail Line. I've never been to Alaska so I have no idea what to expect.

Since I'd be based out of Anchorage, I would be responsible for finding my own place to stay. I won't know anything one way or the other until next month but I want to put my feelers out now.

So, if anyone could recommend some decent, affordable areas to stay in or near downtown Anchorage that would be very helpful. Any suggestions on where to go or what to see on my days off would also be appreciated.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

I'm from there, but been away for about 5 years. (omg that long?)
    Downtown has always been expensive to live in. All the buses go in and out of downtown, on big arterial streets.

You'd want to live around a bus. But DO NOT live in Mountain View. Or Fairview. Really scrungy area and worse, only one bus in and out.

Muldoon, east part of town, can get to downtown easily. Lots of food and places to live around there. Spenard..bit rough but lots of food. Midtown (close to Spenard but by the big strip of banks) pretty good (I lived there for over 10 years). Government Hill...closer to downtown, might work for you.
    Don't go too far south..it'll take a long time to get downtown.

Live as close as you can to a main street. Northern Lights. Benson. Muldoon. Tudor. C street. (A thru K street's pretty good) 36th Ave. Lake Otis. Minnesota Drive. Arctic Road. Fireweed.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org is where you go. If it says ER, (eagle river), wasilla, palmer, ..no. You want Anchorage only.
    BTW - they're going to want First Month, Last Month and Deposit.

As for fun stuff.
    5th Ave Mall, downtown.
    Moose's Tooth, 36th and Old Seward. Good 'indie' beers and pizza..relaxed vibe
    Kid's science museum (down town, forgot name)
    Anch Museum, not bad really
    Go fishing in Ship Creek down town
    All the cute little tourist shops down town lol
    Bear's Tooth Theater (Spenard, food and drink in a movie theater)
    Chilkoot Charlies - bar in Spenard. interesting, busy.
    Flat top mountain (need a car but when there you walk to top of mtn)
    If you can get a car or a ride, go south on the Seward Highway and visit Potter's Marsh, Beluga Point, McHugh Creek, Indian, Girdwood, Portage...McHugh creek is great day hike
    Campbell Creek, in Anchorage.
    Goose Lake, in Anchorage. LOTS of bike trails all interconnected. Really fun.
    Spenard Lake. It's got lots of float planes on it, little take off and land in the lake.

That's all I can think of right now.
    God. I miss that place. Get a camera, for sure.
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
      Get a camera, for sure.
      Can't help on Anchorage, but I can't stress this point enough. Alaska is BEAUTIFUL! We just took a cruise last May (on Holland America), and loved every minute of it. I took nearly 6000 pictures (Thank God for digital), and am already planning a return trip.
      That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

One thing to remember in Anchorage - Mountains Are East, Water is West. If you went straight north in town, you'd hit Elmendorf Air Force Base. Now called JBEF (joint base elmendorf fort richardson)

It's really neat. You can go walking on a bike trail and literally lose yourself in a forest. You walk for a few minutes and you can't hear anything civilized. It SMELLS so good. I miss that. So many little lakes and ponds it's neat.
        There's a place called Roadrunners. It's at the corner of Old Seward Highway and International Boulevard. It's got great homemade burgers (cash only!) and when you go outside, you sit next to a creek. With fishies. Go downstream into the empty lot behind it, look at the water - a beaver hut. Look at the trees around you..Mr. Beaver has been busy.
        Across the street, the Peanut Gallery Bar.
        Gwennies is a restaurant on Spenard, it's pretty home-made comfort food.

There is a Ren Fair there, over by the main police station. I forget when, but it's pretty short.

Warnings:
        When you're in a forest/treed area, look for moose. I'm serious. There are moose that just live in the city. They don't drive, but they're smart. They use the bike trails and such for their walks.
        If you see a female moose (no horns, fuckin ugly) you look around for a calf. Your time, the calves will be pretty old. You KEEP AN EYE OUT. Do not get between Mommy Moose and Baby Moose. You wait. You don't make noise. You wait. If they don't move, turn around and go back. Moose are most active in early morning and dusk (which won't happen til 3 am..sun comes back up around 5 am lol).
        I once was on a bike trail. Went down a steep hill, sharp right hand turn. And there was a moose butt in front of me. It was standing on the bike trail, eating grass and stuff from someone's back yard. I had a creek to my left (Campbell creek), my bike trail, and moose butt eating lunch. I tried to go up the hill. I didn't. I got off the bike, got to the creekside, walked SLOWLY past moose. It flicked it's ears back but it knew I was ok. DON'T DO THAT.

When you're in the forested areas IN the city, it's RARE to see a bear. They like outskirts of the city, where it's closer to real forest. But be aware. They SMELL funky. You will run into Canada Geese (poop all over), moose, ravens, ducks, seagulls, porcupines (up on mountains) and small critters all over city.

See if you can bum a ride up to Eagle River, there's a nature center about 10 miles off the main road. You go a mile in, it's forest. It's ..just...cool.

Go downtown to 5th avenue and just down a hill. You'd be going west on the street to the end of it, goes down a steep hill. Bootlegger's cove area. Small park, but GREAT view to the Sleeping Lady mountain. And if you look to your left, some NEAT houses.

4th Avenue theater, old Art Deco stuff. Dunno what's in it now.
        Notice that there is a hell of a drop around 3rd and 2nd avenue. That's where the 1964 earthquake split the land. 2nd, 1st avenue dropped literally (look on a map). The houses around that area, WWII small houses. The houses get bigger and 70's ish the further out you go.

Valley of the Moon park, you go down E street from down town, drops down a hill, it's about 12th or 13th Avenue where it's at. Do NOT go there around dusk. Lots of drinkers, there's no really good sight around it. Not a great place to be at night.

Really, most of the stuff to do is in Downtown, Midtown, South end.

Hm. Dimond Mall.. Best Buy over there, some box stores. Dunno if you'd need that.

Oooh. Chinese food? Muldoon and Debarr Rd. Called the Ding How. It's a Mongolian BBQ, and I used to go there with my Chinese friends. It is GOOD. Mexican food = americanized to hell. No spices. Korean/Chinese food on Fireweed Lane between Spenard and Old Seward.

Newspaper is http://Anchorage Daily News"]www.adn.com[/URL] Anchorage Daily News. Good news channel.. KTUU Channel 2.

Food will be expensive compared to what's here in the "lower 48". Veggies in stores = more money. Meat, milk = more money. Cost of living up there is a bit different. Shipping from stores down here? Alaska is considered overseas. Keep that in mind.
        Mosquitos..Pain in the Ass. They're around marshy areas (aka whole city). Other biting bugs - not many. Spiders - small and harmless.

That's all I can think of.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. Alaska sounds like a really neat place. The cost of living will take some getting used to, but at least I'll be paid pretty good. I've been needing a change in my life and this seems like the perfect opportunity.

Who knows? I might even end up liking it there so much that I'll have my SO sell the house down here and move up there with me.

Comment

Moved from there in August., and working my hardest to get back

Avoid Muldoon, in the last few years it's gotten BAD, at least the trailer park area that is close to the Glenn. Diamond mall is best avoided unless carrying a gun, it's a big gang hangout now and there were several shootings there last year. There is a new shopping center off Muldoon on the Elmendorf side that has Best Buy, Khols, Target, IHOP, and the new IMAX theater with other places I'm forgetting right now. We'd go there when we drove in from Wasilla. Avoid the Northway Mall, and anything in Mountain View.

Bear have been going more and more into populated areas, so be aware of keeping your garbage in the approved containers or it's a decent fine. People are all excited that there is an Olive Garden there now, if that tells you how small it can be. If you see any places on Craigslist, post them up and we can give you an idea on how they are. I can also see if any of my friends have any leads once you have firmer dates and how long you will be there.

Also, it's JBER not JBEF. People probably wouldn't know what you are talking about if you said JBEF...lol

Comment

If I get the job, and I'm really hoping I do now, the dates would be from May 7-September 20.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around seeing moose and possibly even bears around town. Wildest animal I've seen around here was a possum in the back yard.

I'm debating on whether I want to rent a room from someone, split the rent on an apartment with some other employees, or stay at an extended stay type apartment on my own. The second option would probably be the least expensive of course. However, I have never actually lived completely by myself and this seems like a good chance to see how I do.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.

Comment

Yeah, moose are actually a pest animal in town..lol

Keep in mind, if you decide to do an extended stay hotel, the rate will go up as you will be there during peak time. Prices have been known to almost double. I'd recommend looking here for now, you can always decide later if you want to stay and get your own apartment and where. Most places seem to require a year long lease.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/sub/

Another thing, there are really no regular grocery stores downtown, but the bus system is decent. There is also a shuttle bus out to the valley weekdays if you want to explore further out. There is also an Enterprise rental car place right downtown if you want to rent a car for a day or two.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                  Moved from there in August., and working my hardest to get back

Avoid Muldoon, in the last few years it's gotten BAD, at least the trailer park area that is close to the Glenn. Diamond mall is best avoided unless carrying a gun, it's a big gang hangout now and there were several shootings there last year. There is a new shopping center off Muldoon on the Elmendorf side that has Best Buy, Khols, Target, IHOP, and the new IMAX theater with other places I'm forgetting right now. We'd go there when we drove in from Wasilla. Avoid the Northway Mall, and anything in Mountain View.

Bear have been going more and more into populated areas, so be aware of keeping your garbage in the approved containers or it's a decent fine. People are all excited that there is an Olive Garden there now, if that tells you how small it can be. If you see any places on Craigslist, post them up and we can give you an idea on how they are. I can also see if any of my friends have any leads once you have firmer dates and how long you will be there.

Also, it's JBER not JBEF. People probably wouldn't know what you are talking about if you said JBEF...lol
                  You're right, sorry about that.
                  Muldoon went bad? Huh. I grew up over by Muldoon/Debarr area. IIRC the further south you go on Muldoon is better.
                  When did Dimond mall go TU?
                  Oh, are the 'gangs' that bad? ..Tacoma where I'm close-ish to..watered-down gangs but still enough trouble.
                  Bears- use a closed, locked lid IF YOU LEAVE CRAP OUT. No doggy food on back porch, no smelly trash..nada.
                  Heh, I'd forgotten about Northway Mall. Is it still mostly-empty? Oh, I did hear about the new Target, lol. And the Olive Garden (someone I know is a server there, she said it was NUTS).

If I go back, it's temporary. I miss the vibe of Anchorage, the ease of getting to nature, the quietness. The dark I don't miss.
                  May thru September...wow. Wonderful times!
                  Oh. If you can't sleep with daylight- get blindfolds. Or aluminum foil over your windows (some rental places won't let you). Sunlight will be pretty steady, not 24/7 but 18, 20 hours ish. ( I could mow the lawn at 9 pm). You won't need earplugs lol, but blindfolds.
                  Stay away from downtown as a living area, if you can. It's really f'ing expensive.

Comment

Diamond has been bad for a few years now, there were 4 or 5 shootings there last year, most linked to gangs. There are rumors that they are going to tear Northway down since it's mostly empty and just a hole, about time I say. Muldoon towards the curve is still OK, but as you head towards Elmendorf it starts getting hinkey. The trailer park there is so bad any PD calls won't respond until they have backup with them.

Hillside had a bear that didn't hibernate until a few weeks ago this season. When we lived on Ft Rich there were wolves just down the road, but they aren't a big concern in downtown...just the moose...the tasty, tasty moose....mmmm

I can't wait to go back, but we are "valley trash"

Comment

Valley Trash meh. Shoot, I lived on the border of Midtown and Spenard. If I was one street west, it would have been Spenard.
                      Overall, honestly? I think Spenard has cleaned up and isn't bad. I worked there for a long time, bit rough around the edges but was a pretty well knit neighborhood.

Is Old Seward Hwy between International and Dimond still scrungy?

Trailer park on Muldoon...What's the cross street?

OP: even in the pretty good spots in town are little ickies. Be aware of that.
                      Rent always includes heat. You will still be responsible for electricity (a different system totally), sometimes w/s/g. (not often).
                      I wonder if it would be smart of you to just be a roomie somewhere, because you're there for about 5 months, and I'm not sure how often you'll be home.

I hope things work out!

Comment

Muldoon right off the Glenn heading towards the curve on the left hand side. In fact, it's in todays news about a shooting there. It's on the same level as the one by Northway mall. The old Seward in that spot is mostly industrial stuff, some bars, not sure about the housing though.

Spenard was the heavy target of police to clean up all the "working girls". It's gotten better, but still not sure I'd want to walk around there after dark. I used to work 3rd shift at the airport, so I had to drive that area all the time coming in from Wasilla.

OP, don't let any of this scare you, it's a few block area and if you know about them you are fine, and the only REALLY bad spot to avoid all together is Mountain View. Each area has it's pros and cons depending on what you want. If you find some places you like, feel free to link them and we can let you know in our opinions about the areas.

Comment

I'm starting to lean towards being a roomie somewhere. On the days I work, I'd be overnighting in Fairbanks anyways so it wouldn't make much sense to rent my own place if I'm not even going to be home every night. Besides the less I have to pay towards housing the more I can use for catching up on bills and maybe even having a little fun while I'm there.

Comment

Quoth 24601 View Post
                            Muldoon right off the Glenn heading towards the curve on the left hand side. In fact, it's in todays news about a shooting there. It's on the same level as the one by Northway mall. The old Seward in that spot is mostly industrial stuff, some bars, not sure about the housing though.

Spenard was the heavy target of police to clean up all the "working girls". It's gotten better, but still not sure I'd want to walk around there after dark. I used to work 3rd shift at the airport, so I had to drive that area all the time coming in from Wasilla.
                            Oh, I KNOW what Spenard was/is. I lived on 36th and walked to work at Minnesota and Spenard. On graveyard shifts. Right past the strip joints. I had NO issues walking around there. NONE. Nobody bothered me, nobody approached me for anything, nada. That's why I say Spenard is ok.
                            Mountain View? You could NOT pay me to live there. No way. Fairview either. I'll take Midtown and Spenard all day. Shit, there was/is a whorehouse right next to the Police Substation on 36th. Laughed about that every time I went to work. The further towards Benson you go is worse, because it's by the trailers. God, I miss that area.

Comment

This is beginning to look like it might actually happen. I have a second interview on Monday. If that goes well, I should get the job. I'm a little nervous and excited at the same time.

I'm still apprehensive about the housing situation. However, I guess I need to have faith that if I'm meant to get this position, then I'll have a place to sleep too. Then again, I guess I could always camp out at the rail station

Comment

Working...
                              X